Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     
Default Any opinions on 4x4 utes?

Guys,

Im in the market for a 4x4 dual cab ute. I have narrowed it down to Amarok high line and Hilux SR5.

Any opinions?

Im leaning towards Hilux at the moment as i like the shape, has reverse camera standard which will be useful in a big car and also has capped price $170 servicing. Im thinking that VW as it get older will lose value quicker than hilux as parts and servicing are expensive and will put people off. Also VW servicing is more.

Both are same price slightly less than $50k.

Appreciate any experiences.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

If it was me , a Ford Ranger / Mazda. Drove a SR5 between Iron Knob and Glendambo (all dirt) and everyone complained about the seats and how much they sagged under load.
Overpriced and living on past reputation. My opinion only for what its worth.
tomcat racing likes this.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Interesting, do you know what year model it was? The seats look good in the current model. They are sports style seats.

Not sure about over priced, i thought they were expensive compared to others too until i went and looked. Its currently on sale cheapest out of Ranger and Amarok. About $5k cheaper than ranger XLT.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Amarok has no low range. I test drove a ford ranger wildtrak and its driver ergonomics were woeful.

Spookypt
Old 03-01-2015, 03:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I havnt driven any of them yet, that happens tomorrow. I sat in ranger, amarok and hilux and found the ranger interior uninspiring. The sat nav screen in the ranger is tiny. Ranger does come with a tow bar standard which is good, but they are not expensive to add. The amarok has the nicest interior, but i find the shape of the body a bit boxy.

I will be doing very little off road driving. Only a bit on the beach when i put my boat in on a sand ramp. I want the ute for carrying soil, building materials, rubbish to the tip etc as i am renovating a house and will be for the next few years. Im sick of messing up my SUV throwing stuff in the boot and also borrowing trailers. I have two young kids so need the dual cab to fit them.

Day to day will be driving around town seeing clients. Thats why i like the reverse camera in the hilux and also that it is narrower which will help parking. Hilux is good on fuel too compared to Ranger.

Its a tough decision as they are all pretty good! Its mostly the servicing parts and resale value putting my off Amarok.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Amarok has no low range. I test drove a ford ranger wildtrak and its driver ergonomics were woeful.

Spookypt
i have a 2013 ranger and jus completed a couple of thousand ks over a few days ive got a really buggered back and I felt pretty good after 8 hrs or so in the seat . I test drove a few 4x4 when looking for a new rig I drove the Isuzu .and hi lux and a couple of others around the same price range im stoked with the ranger so far .
pulls the car trailer and race at ease but I suspect others in this category would as well.
im averaging 9.8 litres per hundred mixed country and city driving . all I can suggest is sit and drive in as many different ones and make your own mind up but personally I love the ranga :-)
Old 03-01-2015, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have a Mazda bt50 and I cant fault it
Old 03-01-2015, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison no. 9, Pace GT40 no. 14 build
Not Ranked     

I have also been checking out dual cab utes late;y, I understand the Hilux is to be replaced with a new model this year with better payload to match the others on the market, I like the Mazda bt50 myself which has Ranger underpinnings but more economical to purchase.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Searching
Not Ranked     

Just to play Devil's advocate here - have you checked out the ISUZU D-MAX? I used to work at a dealership (Service Department) and the number of people we had coming in after checking out the Hilux's (next door to us) and buying the D-Max was amazing.
ISUZU have just introduced Capped price servicing (have not even advertised it yet!) for all vehicles sold after January 1 2015!
M@
Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

I have a bt50 as well had a redeo sent it back piece of **** wouldn't pull my trailer then Isuzu d max is a poor cousin to the redeo
amarok doesn't have kid seat [ harness unless you special order them this was 2 years ago
so I still have the bt50 & pull a trailer all day everyday & never had a problem except the battery died about 6 months ago
rob
Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Amarok has 3 anchor points for kids seats on the ones I looked at.

Dmax has a pretty good looking special edition at the moment but there cap price servicing is a bit expensive. To me cap price servicing is one price for every service. I have it like that on my Mitsubishi and that's what's on the Hilux. Dmax have a different cap for each service, that's not capped price it's just publishing the standard service cost.
I didn't get to test drive today. I'm going on Thursday to test ranger, amet ok and Hilux.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovationinnov View Post
I have a bt50 as well had a redeo sent it back piece of **** wouldn't pull my trailer then Isuzu d max is a poor cousin to the redeo
amarok doesn't have kid seat [ harness unless you special order them this was 2 years ago
so I still have the bt50 & pull a trailer all day everyday & never had a problem except the battery died about 6 months ago
rob
Have to agree reno, ive never driven a bt50 but my son in law is a builder in Brisbane and owns one and he travels all the way to the Gulf and Cape for building jobs, loaded up towing a trailer over some of the roughest roads you can imagine and he loves it, he put heavier springs in the rear and better shocks all around and it does the job for him, he wouldnt buy anything else for the money, i think they are under 40K.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Navara? I assume you are talking turbo diesels here?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

The in-laws just bought a new Amarok fully loaded with the canopy. Very sedan-like on the back roads to our place but I haven't been off road. Interior is pretty good, very comfortable and they said good on fuel (TDI).

On a 4WD camping trip a few years ago I saw the previous model Amarok climbing Billy Goats Bluff up near Dargo. Fairly impressive for a first generation Volksy offroader.

To give you an idea...

Last edited by sambo; 03-02-2015 at 04:59 PM..
Old 03-02-2015, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
Navara? I assume you are talking turbo diesels here?
yes . over the yrs ive avoided diesel's till I started going around the country side racing and using a mates turbo navara it completely changed my mindset on them . they are no longer slow oil burning rattles of engines of the past . the ranger can come up to a semi with the race car on back pull out and be doing 140 ks by the time you need to get back into your lane actually it will go faster lol.
around town and some country driving with no trailer im averaging around 9.8 lt per hundred with the aircon on mine has bull bar and canopy and on a trip with the trailer I can get it to around 12.6 lt per hundred been light on the foot . best ive got just as the fuel light comes on is just over 800 ks out of a tank .
cheers dean
Old 03-03-2015, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

My brother has just gone through this exercise 3 months back and settled on the new Navara.

Last edited by jcraigau; 03-03-2015 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: can't spelll.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraigau View Post
My brother has just gone through this exercise 3 months back and settled on the new Navara.
they are a nice rig as well
Old 03-10-2015, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

My company car is a D40 Navara, it has done some extremely hard trips 4WDing (rocks) has had many different people driving it, heavy trailers (3.5t) and has done 217,000 klms with out an issue, very comfortable on long trips, but can be skitich on corrigations. enough power for overtaking trucks without being scared.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Does the Amarok have reliability / build quality issues like some other VAG products?
I had issues with a 'VAG product' myself; issues were eventually sorted under warrantee, but took a long time and the dealer's attitude was not something I want to experience again. I've heard similar stories from other ex-owners.
Go with a Hilux.
Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-12-2015, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After driving them, i went with the Amarok.

Chalk and cheese to drive. The hilux was like driving an old truck in the desert, the Amarok is like driving a luxury SUV.

I test drove both on the same day and set out that morning with full intention to the buy the hilux. I knew pretty much as soon as pulled out of the driveway in the Hilux i wasnt going to buy one. Hilux just felt old. There is a new one coming out at the end of the year which hopefully for Toyota will be a big improvement, but I'm not wanting to wait till then. It was also interesting to find that when i spoke to a few friends who are tradies, they all said Hilux quality has gone down hill.

As far as reliability goes with the VW, it doesn't seem to be an issue from the research i did. I spoke to one person who said they had trouble, but that was in a car with over 250,000kms on it which i won't get even close to. Also found some complaints about clutch issues, but in all of them the people had be wading through salt water and probably pushing the car beyond its limits.

They had a trouble with belts early on, but this was sorted out pretty quickly.

Navara is a great car, but they have a new model coming out around May so i didnt want to have the car become old that quick.