Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By David Hodgson

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2015, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     
Default Diagnostic tool for Peter

Hi Peter, I can't get your thread to work so I've replied here.
I recently bought an OBD2 reader off e-bay, about 50 bucks. Reads, resets, live data etc. Mine was badged Konnwei KW808 but here's the same one badged Autel Multiscan 509. Was easy to use and did what I needed. Only issue is apparently doesn't operate of the internal battery if you want to view data away from car.

AU Stock CAR Vehicle OBD2 Engine Fault Diagnostic Scanner Auto Code Reader | eBay
albanycobra likes this.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Thanks David, I'll follow up.

What prompted the post was after I reassembled the mechanicals following a 3-4 years break, to my delight, the LS1 fired up straight away. The only note of interest was while I was in the cabin turning the key an observer said a puff of smoke came from the throttle body area as I turned the key. I thought perhaps it was dust burning off the MAF which is attached directly to the throttle body. As I understand it the MAF has a hot wire filament(?).

Anyway, when I pressed the starter button it burst into life. I just let it idle and spent time checking for leaks, etc. Later when I started it again I got no response from the throttle - it just idles.

I read where someone with a similar no-DBW response the owner found the motor in the throttle not working. Considering the puff of smoke on the initial turn of the key I thought perhaps the butterfly was stuck after the period on non-use and caused the motor to burn out.

I have also read that when the ignition is switched on the butterfly opens and closes quickly before the engine starts. I figured if mine did this then the butterfly motor should be okay. I had someone turn the key but what I did observe was the butterfly actually close from a slightly open position????

Any suggestions on how I might progress fixing this problem. Thanks.

PS. Don't suggest a cable.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Peter,

You need to check for DTCs.

No doubt you have an APP (accelerator pedal position) or TAC (throttle actuator control) code set.

The throttle plate sits about 11% at key off. At engine start, the throttle will close to target engine speed depending on coolant temp etc.
The ECM pulls the throttle plate towards the closed position for idle speed control. It can pull the throttle even more closed to control road speed on decel when cruise control is used.

Gold Certified Holden Technician