Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     
Default trailer build

hi all
over the last few yrs ive been knocking up car trailers mainly for people in our race car club and i build a nice open one for my self about 12 months ago . 4 inch drop axles 4 wheel electric brakes / alloy floor/ tilt function. wah wah wah .anyway i lent it to a mate a few weeks ago who made me a offer i couldn't refuse so that left me with out a trailer for a while .
i have been thinking about building a bigger enclosed one for a while for a couple of reasons 1 for the race car when we go away i can camp in there as well and 2 if i want tot take the cobra to car shows ect i dont want it on a open trailer .
planning on running a batteries and a invertor set with a solar panel to charge it up i will need to research this side of it as im not all that familier with it all but i bought some nice 6 metre lengths of led strip lighting im hoping to use

so basically if anyones interested i might do a build thread on the progress of the trailer it will be 2500 wide and 6 meters long inside dimensions
now we have the ranger to pull it why not .
cheers dean
Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Build thread... yes please.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Definitely interested!

Cheers

Old 04-28-2015, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Gotta love a build thread
Old 04-28-2015, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
hi all
over the last few yrs ive been knocking up car trailers mainly for people in our race car club and i build a nice open one for my self about 12 months ago . 4 inch drop axles 4 wheel electric brakes / alloy floor/ tilt function. wah wah wah .anyway i lent it to a mate a few weeks ago who made me a offer i couldn't refuse so that left me with out a trailer for a while .
i have been thinking about building a bigger enclosed one for a while for a couple of reasons 1 for the race car when we go away i can camp in there as well and 2 if i want tot take the cobra to car shows ect i dont want it on a open trailer .
planning on running a batteries and a invertor set with a solar panel to charge it up i will need to research this side of it as im not all that familier with it all but i bought some nice 6 metre lengths of led strip lighting im hoping to use

so basically if anyones interested i might do a build thread on the progress of the trailer it will be 2500 wide and 6 meters long inside dimensions
now we have the ranger to pull it why not .
cheers dean
Deano,

I fitted out an enclosed trailer to take my Formula Ford to the track. I use a 600 watt inverter, that supplies enough 240V power to run chargers, TV, computer or small vacuum cleaner. You need the vacuum when you run off the black stuff.

This is powered by an onboard 12V deep cycle battery. Dont bother with a conventional - it won't last a weekend. I use an 80 amp Anderson plug that connects to the tow car. It always gets charged enough on the trip to the track. I've never seen the need for a solar charger.

For air, I have a D size bottle of air fitted with an Oxygen regulator. This gives me enough air for rattle guns, shock dyno and tyre inflation. Lasts a whole season. Its a lot easier than a compressor.

For lighting, I'm currently using 12V fluros - which were all the go when I built it - but I'd use LED strip lighting if I have to replace them.

I have also a 12V winch with remote control that is envaluable when something breaks, and you cant drive back onto the trailer.

Hope that helps.
renovationinnov likes this.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVO View Post
Deano,

I fitted out an enclosed trailer to take my Formula Ford to the track. I use a 600 watt inverter, that supplies enough 240V power to run chargers, TV, computer or small vacuum cleaner. You need the vacuum when you run off the black stuff.

This is powered by an onboard 12V deep cycle battery. Dont bother with a conventional - it won't last a weekend. I use an 80 amp Anderson plug that connects to the tow car. It always gets charged enough on the trip to the track. I've never seen the need for a solar charger.

For air, I have a D size bottle of air fitted with an Oxygen regulator. This gives me enough air for rattle guns, shock dyno and tyre inflation. Lasts a whole season. Its a lot easier than a compressor.

For lighting, I'm currently using 12V fluros - which were all the go when I built it - but I'd use LED strip lighting if I have to replace them.

I have also a 12V winch with remote control that is envaluable when something breaks, and you cant drive back onto the trailer.

Hope that helps.
cheers for that
we race on dirt so a yard broom would be better than a vacum cleaner lol i have a couple of air tanks already i we fill up at home for doing tyre pressure changes with , thats good to know with the invertor and battery i was thinking we would need a much bigger one than that but again im new to this i will mount my car fridge and prob a micro wave as well for heating lunch . a electric winch is a must with our racing ya lucky to drive on most meetings . i need to take the ranger to a auto eleccy to sort out the second battery charging as there a bit fickle with the electronics the ranger has but no biggie . when i towed with the old ford wagon i did as you with a anderson plug to the second battery and it worked well .
im chasing down those alloy panels with the plastic on the inside to clad the trailer with plenty on ebay but bugga all in adelaide that ive found so far . ive been looking at almost every enclosed trailer ive seen at different tracks to get ideas . just been able to sleep in it using a swag if need be will save a fair bit just in hotel rooms .
thanks for the ideas
dean
Old 04-29-2015, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Alloy panels come from Ullrich Aluminium and are called Ulltrasign panels. There is an office in Adelaide and come in 2,3 & 4mm thickness at 1200 x 2400mm. Give them a try.
Andrew
Old 04-29-2015, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Awesome....please do a trailer build. I have 2.2 x 6m car trailer I need to convert to enclosed. So will be good to see how it's done.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I reckon refrigerator truck panels are the go. You can buy them and cut them to size with a circular saw. They have aluminum extrusions for the corners and the panels themselves are structural whilst providing good insulation. This is what I've been considering for a trailer build for some time.

Extrusions

Panels

Cheers
Modena likes this.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

You're full of interesting sh1t Mike. Where do you find all these things out? I reckon those panels might be a good way to line my little garage ceiling (too low for any other insulation options I looked at!)

And yes Deano, bring on the trailer build thread!

(I'd share my home made water cart trailer I built for the farm, but it would be a bit embarrassing!).
Old 04-30-2015, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i have managed to source the panels i want here in adelaide at a good price 6 mt long x 1.500mt wide gloss black on one side and gloss white on the other for $136.00 per panel gst inc.
the springs and brakes have been ordered and just waiting on a price for the steel for the frame atm
Old 04-30-2015, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What sort of springs are you planning to use? PhilM had a very nice trailer using rubber torsion bar axles. I liked them because they allowed the trailer deck to be set very low and looked very straight forward to mount.

Cheers

Old 04-30-2015, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
What sort of springs are you planning to use? PhilM had a very nice trailer using rubber torsion bar axles. I liked them because they allowed the trailer deck to be set very low and looked very straight forward to mount.

Cheers
ive seen those ones used but ive been told when dirt and grit gets in there it chews the rubber out and they flog out they are pretty expensive as well
your right tho you can build them low tho .
my last trailer i used 4 inch drop axles and that got the deck to about 350 mm off the road this time i will be using 2 inch drop as the 4 inch are nearly double the cost . i will be using a rocker spring set up rated at 3,5 ton with electric brake on all wheels and a break away system for just in case it all turns to poo and the trailer departs from the car .
Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Trailer

Deano, I went down this track some time ago. I owned already a USA built Featherlite all alloy trailer flat bed and went about extending it and enclosing it in aluminium honeycombed panels. My lessons learned in general were:

- Over 2.4 metres width the honeycomb panel bows so you need some reinforcing ribs to eliminate sag.
- Put some extraction scuppers to the rear roof to suck out fumes etc.
- Make the front V shaped as it seems to keep the trailer channelling straight when buffeted by side wind.
- I ran to an internal height of 1.6m (1.9m overall) so as it can be parked in residential garages if needed. Its 6.3m x 2.43m x 1.9m so it fits in a standard garage. But unless your short you can't stand tall I in it!
- Put the axles slightly aft.
- Build a removable tire rack and make it sit over the cars bonnet. Don't put it all the way to the front as it creates too much unnecessary ball weight.
- Put in opening roof vents (above your head where you sleep) as they get stuffy and smelly.
- Run proper load rated truck tyres NEW not re-treads.
- Overhead storage is a must and works well.
- I have ramps under the trailer but using the door as the ramp would have been better. I have 2 sets so when I load the car at home I don't have to use the ones already under the trailer.
- Put carpet in it as its much nicer sleeping in/on carpet.
- Weld a nut (Same size as your cars wheel nuts) for me 19mm, to your jockey wheel and then you can raise and lower your trailer with your wheel gun. So quick.
- Don' run any stickers (I know you love stickers) as it keeps people guessing as to what's inside and attracts less unwanted attention.
- Strap all 4 wheels independently and don't leave your winch attached when travelling. I faulty solenoid will run your winch and pull the front off your car, potentially. Have at least 1 dead tie off point with chain on top of your 4 wheel straps.

I run power feed off my F truck to charge the battery while underway and have on board winch and lighting.

Lastly, make sure your tie downs compliment your cobras wheel base and have the trailer well balanced. It makes towing so much easier and nicer. Oh and of course tow it with something capable.

I'd essentially sold mine as I wanted something bigger but for the amount of sleep overs I do the numbers didn't stack up.

Looking forward to your build pics....

Spookypt
Chris L and dave295 like this.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Default Pete Brock's Aerovault trailer

OK, this isn't within everybody's budget, but makes interesting reading

https://www.bre2.net/pdfs/bre2_aerov...3_31.pdf<br />

There are some good design tips in there as well.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-01-2015, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cheers spooky
the panels im using are solid plastic with alloy covering it alcubond i think its called
trailer will def be wedged shaped at the front ive towed flat front trailers and its like pulling a block of flats .
i am getting the smart charge disabled on the ranger so i can charge a battery in the trailer as well thats getting turned off next service ..
tie down points i will be putting a few down the length of the trailer so it will be good for most cars . good point on the tyre rack and duly noted as is the tip for the jockey wheel and the rattle gun i like that one lol.
i used to have a tilt tray and water got into the solenoid on the winch the cable was anchored to the back of the truck and when it let go it smashed thru the back window lesson learned . rear door will be the ramp im past the point of pulling ramps out even my old open trailer the ramps are mounted on the back and just swing down .

in the last 18 months or so ive built 6 trailers but this will be the first enclosed one and im looking forward to to be honest .
cheers dean
Old 05-01-2015, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wheel gun on the jockey wheel - love it! That should be incorporated into a Bathurst pit stop.
Lots of good tips Spook.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen, your link got caught up with some other code. Here's the live link;
https://www.bre2.net/pdfs/bre2_aerov...2015_03_31.pdf

Some of those Aerovault models look like they could have an engine fitted and go for some land speed records!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
OK, this isn't within everybody's budget, but makes interesting reading

https://www.bre2.net/pdfs/bre2_aerov...3_31.pdf<br />

There are some good design tips in there as well.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-01-2015, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

wow i wonder what the price is on some of those trailers there def a work of art
Old 06-15-2015, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

double post due to time out

Last edited by deano59; 06-15-2015 at 01:39 AM..