Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By damage
  • 1 Post By spookypt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Brisbane engine

Hi,

I'm new to posting in this forum, been reading for a couple of weeks. I'm planning a Cobra build. I'm based in Brisbane so was going to hit up Pace in a month or two and pick their brains.

In the mean time, where has everyone got their engines/transmissions from? I'm looking at a 302 or possibly a coyote. Buy local or from the US and ship? Who to ship with if from the US? Looking for a crate/turnkey engine and a manual transmission.

It'll be a couple of years yet before I can pull the trigger due to build space, time and family commitments, just trying to put the feelers out and gather as much info as I can.

You guys have been a wealth of knowledge this far!

Any info is much appreciated.

Mick
Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427
Not Ranked     

Go a crate engine from the US! Make sure it's from a reputable business and the Aussie dollar is strong at the time though.

I'm going for a Ford Racing engine for mine but will be buying it through Herrod in Melbourne.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

I bought my LSA and MG9 TR6060 locally through a Holden dealer here in Vic. They looked after me on the price.

Buying local assures you of support in the event of something not being right in the engine or trans. Although not common, things do happen in the manufacturing process. Local support also means you're on the same time zone for making calls or someone coming to see you as required.

Can you imagine the cost and delay having to ship an engine back to the 'states?
Old 05-11-2015, 11:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Welcome.

Given the choice, (For a 302) I'd definitely, without hesitation, everyday of the week, and twice on Sunday buy from Aus.

Many great engine builders here that can set you up with a 302 that will spank the bejesus out of a US crate job.

The money you think you might save up front, is a false economy, lost in shipping, tax and exchange.

Further, you have a local guy to run to, if stuff goes wrong.

There is a big difference between a crate motor and custom built motor, just something to think about.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     

Mick;
Just pulled a Fuel Injected HO 302 out of my cobra, very standard unit, has some slight porting from the plenums and a H/E sump with baffle, also upgraded water pump. More to tell if interested. I have done 11K in it since 2007 and it was purchased in the USA from a 50K 94 Mustang. Has not missed a beat, replaced by something with more H/P for the track. Have plenty of pictures and a video of it running. Comes with headers and all front drive accessories, pod filter etc.

Cheers
Chris

PS Good luck with the plans, its a fun part of the process.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427S, Coyote Aluminator
Not Ranked     

I agree with Dimis, although I purchased everything from the USA, I would much prefer to buy local and the cost is not a lot different. This is really something to think about when building our cars and if I had it all to do again, I would seek out an Australian supplier.

Cheers

Russell
Old 05-12-2015, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

BUY LOCAL.

I bought a big dollar engine from a supposed reputable engine builder in the USA. Long story short it crapped itself after 65kms and a bunch of heartache to get it going.

Warranty wasn't worth a pinch of the proverbial.

Not saying all US engine builders will be the same.

You can build a good engine from new parts for a lot less cash then a USA crate or buy local crate and then you have someone you can visit if it turns to poo.
albanycobra likes this.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engines

I TOTALLY agree with Damage, I have had the same issues (different engine builder though)

My build had the best parts you can buy....then it seemingly was put together under a blue tarp in some US backyard with a 6 pack of Budweiser.

No disrespect to the good engine guys over there but when there's issues its too hard to manage over the pond. If its a crate engine then perhaps not an issue but if its anything like Damages or my race engine (351w 13:5 compression) put your faith in local.

Spookypt
deano59 likes this.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

ive used the same machine shop for my engines for the last 20 yrs i get free range of the workshop nowdays and can use anything there including the sterile engine assemble room .there is no way i would go overseas for a engine i try to do as much in house as i can and keep my dollars here in aust .

shameless plug for Chris at C&M engine services smithfield south Australia

Last edited by deano59; 05-12-2015 at 09:02 PM..
Old 05-13-2015, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Does anyone know of anyone around the Brisbane area? And for the coyote owners out there, is there anywhere local selling them? Any problems fitting them?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmb05 View Post
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Does anyone know of anyone around the Brisbane area? And for the coyote owners out there, is there anywhere local selling them? Any problems fitting them?
As I said, get a crate engine from the states but use a local importer that will warrant it! Herrod in Melbourne does crate engines from Ford Racing. (Coyote and Windsor combos) I believe Real Dyno and Performance in Redcliffe is an agent.

I've priced up the bits and pieces needed to build my stroker Windsor engine and it is around the price I can get the crate engine for. Herrod offer a good warranty but I guess time would tell if the engine turned to ****!

Then again, damage makes some valid points also. At the end of the day, shop around and do the research.

Last edited by Zacson; 05-13-2015 at 03:43 PM..