Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree97Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2016, 07:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Manufactured by Me, 408 Windsor, TKO600, 3.3 Jag rear
Not Ranked     

Been down to DSC and thanks to Richard and team who have been super helpful with my enquiries re power steering for the Daytona..

Upon inspection of their race car - they use an Astra pump, just like Ash has and what I have sourced previously. Works all fine and no issues so if its good enough for Bathurst, it must be fine for me. Even went to the wreckers and got myself a spare and yes, just $44

The rack they now use is from a Subaru Imprezza 2002 to 2006. Sourced one easily and from my visit to DSC, made up templates for the mod required to fit the rack. this week begins the process and expect to be at the Nationals with Power Steering.

Ues I know it wont improve my times but at least my arms wont be hurting after 3 runs on the hillclimb.
gjkrv8 and Modena like this.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

So as chronicled in my other posts today I joined Towmaster and Co on the weekend. It was quite cool so never worried too much about the AC but its always been an issue with the car and was something on my "list of things" to address. Twas never cold, the dash vents blew mildy cool air and the demister vents melted my face off.

Anyway on the way home I thought I'd have another play seeing as though the condenser should get heaps of air at the spirited fashion I was driving. Turn on AC, nope still warm. I'd had it gassed when the AC got retrofitted so I figured I'd either lost all gas with a leak or.......

Then I remembered about this weird little round dial that was mounted way up under the underside of the dash that I assumed at the time (12mths ago) was a speed control for the wipers. Its so far hidden you'd never see it unless you'd pulled the dash apart which I'd done. I'd earlier quizzed DSC and their AC man about the poor performing AC and no one ever mentioned this little dial. Why would they. I have driven in the rain but not thought of using it until on Sunday I went......THERMOFREEKINSTAT CONTROLLER!!!

Twisted the little bugger all the way round and my face froze off. Slight exaggeration but you get my drift. Lesson learnt. Be aware of knobs!!!

Happy little camper now.
Gav, schipps, Donunder and 3 others like this.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Cool,
What ac are you running Spook?
I'll need all the help I can get with mine!!
Old 07-04-2016, 02:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Gav, DSC did some neat stuff with the car to aid the AC s performance. It was one of the first cars done and doesn't work as well as the later cars. That said some of their tricks could help for sure. I'll add that I made an acrylic panel to divide behind seats to make less area to Keep cool and that big rear windows a ba$tard for letting the Suns heat in.

You probably have checked out Ron e fords car? Perhaps fly to the coast with your better half for a weekend away at noosa and come and have a crawl over my car to get some ideas. I'll put a nice lamb roast on for dinner too.:-)
Gav likes this.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Now there is an idea...
Old 07-04-2016, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had the joy of a ride in Ron's car outside Wakefield. He wasnt overly happy with the performance of the AC.

My diagnosis was that I was more an insulation and cabin sealing problem with the doors and the slide windows, which look beautiful, but have limited to no seals, hence there is a lot of what we call 'infiltration' in the AC trade that no AC could overcome.

Have made up a number of custom bits on the 3D printer for my ducting to aggregate the primary outlets as well as supply air to the footwells. Have also balance the flow left to right with restrictor plates in the duct.

All that said.. crawl all over Spooky very nice beast and admire Rons craftsmanship at your leisure. Is a lot to see in both cars..

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 07-04-2016, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Plus unlike "normal" cars there just isn't enough room/isolation between what the AC is supposed to do and the heat generated by the engine/exhaust. Cabin heat soak is just all too much for a little AC unit to overcome. Still its nice having a bit of cool air blowing on your face as your feet melt off.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I still can't believe anyone builds one of these as a grand touring car expecting it to be as comfortable as a new Porsche.
Molten feet while your nose is suffering from frost bite is par for the course IMHO!
Old 07-04-2016, 05:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
My wife & I were in Dromana back in 2006 looking at some horses when we stopped into see Richard Bendell (the builder of these Daytona kits) and at that time this very car was just about ready to be delivered to Peter Brock & Co driver and Richard invited my wife and I to have a sit in this car - some 4-5 weeks later this tragedy occurred, and I will never forget that moment. RIP Brocky.

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 07-04-2016 at 06:05 PM..
Old 07-04-2016, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I watched for a little while at the car show on the weekend people reactions as its not the most recognisable car per say. Especially as it has no ford or chev or Daytona logo's anywhere so it is hard to know what you're looking at.
Most would stumble upon it, look at the front bemused, then with bewildered look walk to the rear, then still not happy look inside to see the small Brocky dedication plate on the dash. Ohhhhh this is the car Brocky was killed in...yadda yadda.

Most leaving with a shaking head saying that it was poor handling car. No amount of chatting was going to change their views. I just smile and be happy Im fortunate enough to own it. Car shows ey!

At least I didn't hear anyone call it a replica. LOL

Last edited by spookypt; 07-04-2016 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They say ignorance is bliss... I often wonder...! Is a gorgeous set of wheels Spooky..

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 07-06-2016, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I watched for a little while at the car show on the weekend people reactions as its not the most recognisable car per say. Especially as it has no ford or chev or Daytona logo's anywhere so it is hard to know what you're looking at.
Most would stumble upon it, look at the front bemused, then with bewildered look walk to the rear, then still not happy look inside to see the small Brocky dedication plate on the dash. Ohhhhh this is the car Brocky was killed in...yadda yadda.

Most leaving with a shaking head saying that it was poor handling car. No amount of chatting was going to change their views. I just smile and be happy Im fortunate enough to own it. Car shows ey!

At least I didn't hear anyone call it a replica. LOL
Hey Spook, did I interpret that correctly as you now own the Peter Brock Coupe? or are you referring to the similarity in the Daytona kit.
Cheers
Wil

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-06-2016, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey Wil, as you know the original 64 Datto was designed by Peter Brock USA. Richard Bendell (owner Motec) and good friend of Peter Brock USA, designs and builds replica Daytonas loosely based on the original. All except 1 (Tim Hendy's which ended up back in the factory anyway) was built in house by Richard Bendell, designed by Ross Holder and the chassis builder was Michael Borland (race car builder Borland Racing Developments)

The first car was built in 2001. Mine is number 8. The car Peter Brock AUS was one of the first 3 I think. It has since been rebuilt by James Bendell and last I heard Peter Champion had it in his museum.

Brock Daytona Coupe unveiled- Car News | CarsGuide

Top 12: Infamous cars

All 14 (?) Daytona Sports Car Daytona's have a plaque mounted on the dash in memory of PB Aus.

Hope that helps. Cheers Matto
Old 07-06-2016, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK that does explain it, thanks for that.
I do recall Richard saying to me that he was only going to build 10 units and then give it up, but the business is obviously doing well so they are continuing the builds.
Cheers matt
Wil

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-06-2016, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah maybe it is only 10? Dunno the final number. It was big $'s to build a car as he only builds them himself so not a lot of takers for the coin required to have one built.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah maybe it is only 10? Dunno the final number. It was big $'s to build a car as he only builds them himself so not a lot of takers for the coin required to have one built.
$110K from memory - turnkey
His brother was doing most of the build work back then. Still not too bad considering what you'd pay today.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That must have been a while ago. Last year it started in the mid $2's.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
That must have been a while ago. Last year it started in the mid $2's.
What!! I'm not charging anywhere near enough..

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 10-29-2016, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Saw this datto in unique cars Winton Historics.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Photo's

Spook,

The Daytona is Gary Balls from the Vic Club.

He was my room mate for this years Le Mans Classic.

The XD is a mate of mine from the Coupe Club (Dave) who is very quick

considering its a 6 on skinny tyres.

Stiffy