Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Thanks Treeve, if only it was so easy.
I looked at them when they first appeared about four or so years ago. On their website their first newsletter in 2012 refers to reps from Hot Rod, Heritage, Street Machine, Motor Cycle, 4WD and Late model modified enthusiast organisations STRANGELY NO ICV mention
On top of that they list : Aust Street Rod Federation. Dragens Hot Rod Club. Aust Nat Street Machine Assoc. as affiliated with them. Nothing at all wrong with that except that they all are classed as existing vehs (modified or not) ICV (Cobra) classed as a new vehicle.

Here in Adelaide a joint approach was made to the registrar of motor vehs SA by the Street Machine Assoc of SA (SMASA) and the Street Rod Federation to extend the Conditional Registration Scheme to street rods and SMASA members arguing limited use of both types of vehs and that these cars were not general mode of transport.

Result of submission? Street Rods granted trial period of 5 Years on conditional scheme. SMASA category unchanged!!!!
Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

John, if we did get Conditional Registration up and running for ICVs, does that mean that our cars would no longer need to be emissions compliant to the current standard (ie could I run carbs??)

Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-24-2015, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Glen , If we got just the same treatment and conditions that Street Rods get it would apply for full registration ie carbies if desired, 92 db noise limit instead of 90, bonnet handles allowed and a more flexable engineering and registration approach to interstate sales.
Conditional rego is aimed at restricted use vehs that still have to meet road registration requirements but the cost is reduced because of the restricted use.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Hot rods need to be inspected every year.....that would sck. Once licensed in WA you never get checked again.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh I beg to differ on the annual inspection. There is an annual safety inspection carried out by members of the of ASRFof A Technical Committee, but that is to assist members building cars under the federation guidelines.

If built to guidelines no engineering is required. Inspectons are not compulsory and assist builders and certainly not for Dept of Tpt requirements. I havnt read the street rod regulations for a while (Some 92 Pages) so unless its a state issue once registered that's It.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

I don't see why everyone gets worked up about yearly inspections - it keeps a lot of unsafe minor maintenance stuff from creeping in.

What needs to be understood first and foremost with this challenge is that an ICV is a newly built vehicle, and hence must meet the ADRs. To keep the costs down from full compliance, the engineering process is brought in as a 'deemed to comply' status, not actual proof of full compliance.

The difficulty is that if you want limited rego then you need to stop talking about ICVs, and start to go down the path of defining a replica. Then you need to have a manual of how to build a safe car, including acceptable suspension layouts etc as per the street rod manual. Then you might be getting somewhere. I've written it in a couple of sentences, but it will take a lot more than that to do it, especially when you look around this group, and the two other major ICV Replica groups (Lotus 7 / Clubman, and GT40s).

I'd look into Low Volume Certification and see if you can get a "Single Vehicle Certification" from DoTaRs and skip past the state registration legislation that way.

I've looked a couple of times, and it is almost easier to build 5 identical cars as Low Volume than it is to build 5 to ICV standards across all states and territories.

Treeve
Old 09-27-2015, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Treeve and John,
Is "single vehicle compliance" available? If it is, what are the limitations? Some replica owners want to be able to drive their cars daily, but lots of us (OK, me) would be very happy with limited use.
Looking at my Condition Reg. logbook for my 40 year old car, he don't get out much.
What I personally would rather not have is normal daily use registration (with full associated cost, of course), and having to comply with relevant emissions....if I could have limited use (even Victoria's 45 day usage option would keep me happy) and not have emissions compliance requirement so that I could run carburettors.
So...is single vehicle compliance feasible (in SA, but also elsewhere)?
Otherwise, is there any alternative that does not require emissions compliance?

On the subject of inspections, I don't have a problem with them apart from it's another cost we have to bear.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-27-2015, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nothing available apart from day permits in SA Glen.