Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     
Default Raceking trailers

Hi
Has anyone got a RaceKing trailer? Im loving the fact they drop down to a 4deg angle for loading, single axle though......Hoping so eone here has had some experience or knows someone with one? wondering how they tow and if they flex.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I have recently bought a 'tilta trailer' I know it's not exactly the same but the tilting bed is awesome.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison no. 9, Pace GT40 no. 14 build
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave, I have had my Raceking trailer since March, the Qld distributer lives only 20min from us and was extremely helpful with demo, delivery etc, I purchased in kit form and took a day to put together with father and brother assisting.

The main features are that it is single axle so can be easily man handled around when unladen, tows very well (we used it to take the Cobra down to the Nationals and back), has a good towing capacity due to the lighter overall weight of the trailer, is made up of heavy duty hot dipped galvanized components which are very well designed, lowers down through the axle for easy drive on/off of low cars, raises up to 900mm above the ground for use as a mobile hoist (my first use was to replace the sump - no floor), the Cobra wheels are secured by ratchet straps through the ladder ramps (just need to think about the location of the ratchets), we also have the spare wheel carrier/wheel, winch and I think they are putting together a front race wheel rack soon.

Just tweaking a few small things (eg the mudguards don't need to lose their side steps - just add supporting brackets - hides some of the wiring too), also best to keep the jack compressed or wrapped when not in use to protect the ram from discolouring, it bounces around a bit when towed unladen even with the tyre pressures reduced (as suggested by Raceking) but nothing to worry about.

I plan to set up in the shed when not in use on a hitch bolted to the floor/wall or attached to a vehicle and utilize the trailer as a parking spot for the Cobra - keeps both undercover and is ready to use when required.

Matt (Raceking Brisbane) sends kits around the country but I think there is also a distributer in WA.

Very happy with the trailer, I have attached a photo from the recent Goulburn trip.

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/medium/DSC_1290A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-12-2015, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hope this works.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...ictureid=14571
Old 12-12-2015, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi
Awesome review, thank you for going into such detail....exactly the info I was looking for. muchly appreciated. I like the idea of strapping the tyres.
a few more questions
Do you feel the trailer flex when towing?
Do you think a GT40 could get on ok front first?

Cheers
Dave
Old 12-12-2015, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,

You would want the 40 to be loaded rear end first. I have towed my 40 both front and rear end on first and the trailer is better balanced with the rear on first.

That is on a tandem axle trailer however, a single axle would excentuate any balance issues.

I am probably going to sell my trailer as I have designed and plan to build a single axle kneeling type trailer with a 4 degree approach angle for my Ralt to go on.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Ricky
I already have a large dual axle trailer the 40 just squeezed onto.(backwards of course). ...I like the drop down function of the RK trailer and was to thinking about moving the single axle rearwards to get a better balance point. Always looking for a better way....lol.
Hoping to finally get my 40 to some events next year.....would love to see some pics of your Ralt....
Old 12-13-2015, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave, the trailer tows very well, no flexing evident, the ladder style ramps are very solid, I agree with Ricky, the engine should be forward of the trailer wheels if possible, I have transported a small front engine car facing rearwards a fair distance and it didn't seem to worry the trailer or feel out of balance.

Just thinking about it you could possibly order a Raceking with the axle brackets welded on further back or if you could get the nose of the GT over the front cross member the engine would probably end up over the trailer wheels or fairly close to it.

DC
Old 12-13-2015, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

they look pretty good and well built have not seen one in the flesh tho my only comment would be i dont like single axle trailers and ive owned a couple when i first started racing .get a flat tire or a worse a blowout and there all over the place or worse have a wheel come off complexly ive seen a trailer with car still chained on a 100 metres into a paddock upside down when this has happened .
this was a guy that always ran light truck tyres and new wheel bearings every season but a bearing collapsed still and over it went .
saying that one of the best towing trailers i had was a single axle welded to the chassis no springs or brakes and i towed that to almost every speedway in sa and half way up the east coast of aust
but it was always in the back of my mind if something went wrong . there is a another trailer that works real well i will see if i can find the link they have a low ramp angle and there called a roll back trailer .

cheers dean

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dolw2smrbN4[/ame] and dual axle
Hoity likes this.

Last edited by deano59; 12-13-2015 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: link added
Old 12-15-2015, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Also have a look at Williams Race Services.

They are an importer for Brian James Trailers. I have seen them in use at the shop and to me appear a nice bit of kit.

Steve Williams is a good guy to talk with and it would be interesting for his thoughts considering that race cars and trailers is what he does.

Williams Race Services

Brian James Trailers
Old 12-16-2015, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Will do , RK never got back to me so the search continues....
Old 12-16-2015, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Definitely talk to tilta trailer then.
I bought the tandem, they could not have been more helpful and delivered my trailer finished and registered within a week as I needed it for the Nationals.
It tows beautifully and is a sinch to load.

Tilta Trailers car trailers. Australian Made trailer companyTilta Trailers