Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2015, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

It really perplexes me that some get so focused that these hot rods (resembling a cobra) should have a ford motor.

However think nothing of the fact that it will be right hand drive, have a plastic body, possible parts from any number of various sources (which were never used on originals), will have retractable seat belts and not lap sash authentic seatbelts, self cancelling indicators, high(ish) back seats, big brake kits and I can keep going on.

Don't get me wrong, I am seriously addicted to cobras, and have been since I was 14 (30+ year addiction), have posters of them, toy cars , shirts, hats, been to the shelby factory 8 times, numerous books let alone the computer folders with images broken down to various makes, interior shots, engine shots and so on.

However, unless it has a CSX number and was build in the 60's, it's a replica or a hot rod at best.

So, do I enjoy driving my hot rod any less knowing thats its not real or doesnt have a ford engine....... hell no. I get giddy every single time I hop in it, smile every single time I drive it (been a little while between drives... but am working on this), always have a second look when I walk past it, look for any excuse to go to the garage just to sit and stare (mmmmm, maybe I should pick up the tools a little more often).

So, to anyone holding back on a cobra (hot rod) because it dosnt have a ford engine, don't deprive yourself of owning and driving one of the most enjoyable things that you could possibly own. You will meet new friends, have long visits at the servo as people want to talk with you, you will be the envy of the neighbourhood (mostly) and just be having fun.

And most likely, it will not be your last one either. So do not think that your first one has to be perfect (your first girlfriend at school most likely wasn't, so neither will be your first hot hot (cobra).

And to anyone who is considering building a $80K+ toy car, do yourself a favour, fork out the $129 for a flight to the Gold Coast and visit pace, you will not be disapointed. Not doing this would be like a guy waking up one morning with a new set of double D's, and then not touching them.
Aussie Mike, deano59, guye and 8 others like this.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I find it funny how people get hung up on Ford and Cobra. The only Ford bits in the originals was the engine and box. The rest probably had more in common with cars from Austin, Morris, MG or Jaguar.

If you want to try and use all ford bits go ahead. Do what makes you happy.

Cheers
boxhead, Gav, DaveW and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 12-14-2015 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-14-2015, 07:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Hey Leroy - we're Australians, and if there's a chance to take the p!ss, then it would be un-Australian to let that opportunity go by, yes?

BTW, I just noted in your details "355 SBC". I'm not familiar with that....what does SBC mean?

Cheers,
Glen
Old 12-14-2015, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
BTW, I just noted in your details "355 SBC". I'm not familiar with that....what does SBC mean?
Small Block Chev
Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Leroy - we're Australians, and if there's a chance to take the p!ss, then it would be un-Australian to let that opportunity go by, yes?

Cheers,
Glen
Glen, you're right, taking the piss is part of Aussie heritage, and I have no worries with that I can assure you.

SBC...... soon being commissioned (does that work?). Yeah, thought not, watch this space for a dirty, heavy, lumpy, thirsty, miss-behaving replacement.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Cheers,
Glen
I'm going for - Silly Bald Carnut..?

Ps. While I agree with you leroy, the regulators don't.
Love your work.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krait View Post
Small Block Chev
You're kiddin' me!

Dimis likes this.
Old 12-14-2015, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have always been a ford boy, so it's always a bit of fun to fly the flag. I find just as perplexing Leroy that chev seems to be taking over the world and ford are so far behind value wise for people like us wanting/owning kit cars.
I know talking with Pace, they originally designed the car to accept the ford motors believing that would be the volume engine choice, I think 1 in 10 is a ford.

FOR A FORD CAR THATS DISSAPPOINTING ��
Old 12-15-2015, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post

FOR A FORD CAR THATS DISSAPPOINTING ��
That's a bit of a stretch.... I like to think of it simply as a car that flew the ford flag, rather than a ford car so to speak.

As for ford's pricing, at least ford is viable, in comparison Gm is own by the government. Lol.

In any case I'm a brand slut!
I'll horse jump from better to best. Yes, I'm that fickle.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i wanted a ford engine in mine when i first started looking my old one was a 302 . but it seems there is more range in chev that will meet emissions where the ford you have a 302 out of a au falcon or a coyote but there not cheap. in the end my thinking come down along the lines of leroy .
just what are we building my conclusion is a hot rod that looks like a ac cobra and who cares whats sitting under the fibreglass . the kid who you drive past gets all happy to see you does he care whats under the hood ..the sexy chick who winks at you at the lights does she know or care ok i might have made the last one up but there is always hope lol .
as long as you enjoy your car thats all that matters i reckon .....at the moment im happy to sit in mine and make broom broom noises and it makes me feel good ..
Jethrow and Hoity like this.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy17 View Post
... like a guy waking up one morning with a new set of double D's...
SBC = Substantial Breast Comparison

On the subject of engines, I've had an aspirated 351W, a supercharged 351W, a SBC and a 427FE in a Cobra.

Every engine was perfect for what I wanted at the time. I never apologised for what was in the engine bay or why, and I never had anyone ask why I didn't have a "insert preferred engine type" instead.

I think everyone over analyses it during the buying/building phase, but it really becomes a non-issue once you're driving down the road.
deano59 likes this.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:47 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We have people with Ford, Chevy, and MOPAR engines in their cars and no one gets upset by it. And lets face it, Chevy is by far the easiest and least expensive engine for many people in other parts of the world. I have Ford engines in all of mine, but that is because I have always had Fords and like them. A good friend has a Cam Am Cobra with a BBC and it runs like all get out and is very reliable. The ones with MOPAR engines are fast but a lot of people seem to be down on them for some reason. Personally I like any Cobra that is well built and safe, no matter which brand of engine it has.

Ron
boxhead, Tenrocca, Krait and 1 others like this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 12-16-2015, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoity View Post
the chev boys hang on to the fact that Shelby asked and got rejected by chev.
Chevrolet chiefs of the day said to Carol, "we could not do justice to such a fine auto. Go and see 'ole Henry, and with his engine and as many Ford parts as you want, you will make the best car the world will ever see"
leroy17, Laner, Marlox and 1 others like this.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

i like that one, David.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Delusional, but Cobras where and still are the benchmark for muscle cars.
Hoity likes this.