Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2016, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakiller View Post
Cars like Clubmans (Lotus 7 replicas) could not possibly meet these guidelines for the torsional tests, so they seem to have a different formula for testing based on power to weight.
Maybe in WA but certainly eastern states clubbies have comply with torsion requirements as per ADR's.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: MICKIEBEEZ COBIA
Not Ranked     

Bit more work on the chassis, pedal box is in, front end getting finalized, steering column mounting started, the body is also getting straightened before I remold it so every body out of the mold will be true and straight .
Regards mick
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2016, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Its coming together Mick. What actually is the target market, track or road car? I'm wondering how often would a passenger be carried, leg room seems a bit tight.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

whats the steering rack out of ?
Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgson View Post
Its coming together Mick. What actually is the target market, track or road car? I'm wondering how often would a passenger be carried, leg room seems a bit tight.
Hi David,
This car will be fully registered here in NSW, so target market would mostly be guys who want something to drive on the road . Yes I know leg room for the passenger may be short, as would the time they would be in the seat, their legs will not be able to stretch out , rather have bent knees .

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
whats the steering rack out of ?
Its from the Edge Products, used for offroad buggies, and yes I am going thru the hoops at the moment to get it thru the ADR's , so it can legally be used on the road registered car.
boxhead likes this.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Just a thought but why not build it rear engine with an IRS rear suspension setup or even a DiDion rear axle setup. It looks like the boot area might be big enough. If you are using the bike engine you could use a chain and sprocket to or even a belt drive to drive the diff center.

Alternatively use the complete drive train assembly from a small front wheel drive car installed in the back. Suzuki swift or Toyota Yaris or something like that. That way you would also have reverse gear and an option for an auto trans.

I've often thought the drive train out of a Golf GTI would be a weapon in a mid mounted installation. DSG gearbox makes for lightning quick changes and paddle shift and no need for complex gear linkages or a clutch pedal. All of the pluses of a manual box and the convenience of an auto. I've got 2 VW's with DSG boxes and they are great fun. It even blips the throttle on down shifts and you have engine braking.

Cheers

Old 06-27-2016, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Something like this would be an ideal donor

Damaged 2011 Volkswagen Golf VI GTI Hatch For Auction in Altona North, Melbourne, Victoria

Cheers

Old 06-28-2016, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike, there is no boot area, it's all basically the diff and fuel tank.
Going to do a corvette next but use a Harley motor.
Did think of going the small car engine setup but for the size car , they really are too big and cumbersome.
The bike engine is much more compact, and has way more power.
200hp in this little car will be interesting..
Old 08-21-2016, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well , first off I must apologise for the lapse in updates, but a lot has been going on in the back ground.
Molds have started on the body ( had to redo it after so many changes)
Now have the windscreen sorted and will be getting delivered anytime, now have the tail shaft, steering shafts, wiring loom, indicators, brake lines.
So over the next few weeks you will see plenty of more progress and pics.

On another side note, I got contacted by a kit car mag to do a news article , and to my surprise it is now out ... Check out Completekitcar mag, September issue.

Take care guys
Old 08-21-2016, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Screen shot
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2016, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Any description starting with Crazy is never a bad thing..!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Alternatively use the complete drive train assembly from a small front wheel drive car installed in the back. Suzuki swift or Toyota Yaris or something like that. That way you would also have reverse gear and an option for an auto trans.

I've often thought the drive train out of a Golf GTI would be a weapon in a mid mounted installation.

Cheers
Mike, you MAY be the first other than me to think that engineering a small component car using the drivetrain from a front-wheel drive auto in a midship placement is a great idea. I own and drive a '89 Honda Accord and despite having almost 300K on the odometer, when I replace it I will keep the VTEC V-6/automatic transmission for exactly such a project...maybe a small size mid-engined sand rail (I have seen a tube-type beach buggy with a transverse mounted Ford 4-cylinder behind the driver)?

Actually, I would prefer one of the Dino 246 replicas of old (Kelmark GT, Karma/Magnum 500, etc) with my Accord FWD powertrain behind the driver.

My apologies to the OP for the thread drift...I was just TOO excited to see that someone else has had the same idea for a mid-engined project using a FWD powertrain!!

Cheers!

Dugly
Aussie Mike likes this.

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 08-22-2016 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 08-22-2016, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Hey Dugly,
I see that's a small town there....love looking at this sort of thing on Google maps.
What happened on the corner of Main and 4th ???.....
Looks nasty !!

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...!4d-101.884896

Plenty of room out that way for some fast driving ??
Cheers,
Warren
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Hey Dugly,
I see that's a small town there....love looking at this sort of thing on Google maps.
Looks nasty !!

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...!4d-101.884896

Cheers,
Warren
Hahahaha, you stalker.
Wazza likes this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah...a little bit...lol

But go to that google map link...and check out all of the massive circular crops...looks awesome.
Cheers
Old 08-23-2016, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Dugly,
Looks nasty !!

Cheers,
Warren
I took a look at Main & 4th in your link, Warren....that photo must be 10 years old, maybe 15 . That old building with all those junk cars is now GONE...burned down about 5 years ago and it took the town leadership 4 years to force the owner to clean up all the junk vehicles and the fire debris...and when they started they found about 500 rifles among the rubble, seems the guy was a gun collector. It is now just a flat piece of ground, but maintaining its' "nasty" status by growing head-high weeds. Some people you just can't count on to keep their property picked up, I guess!

As for the fast driving, yes, it is a great place to just wind the ol' 302 out! In fact, the distance between two towns just across the Colorado state border (about 10 miles west) is 127 miles...no gas stations in between those two towns, no restaurants, nothing but mile after mile of open road and antelope. One time I kept count of the other vehicles I saw on that 127 mile long road...six vehicles, two of which were just farmers on motorcycles going out to check on their cattle. This is incredibly flat land with a 2-lane blacktop ribbon stretching from horizon to horizon and virtually NO traffic...and in all my years of living in this remote area, I have never seen any form of law-enforcement vehicle on those roads. It's just a great driving area if you like flat-out, straight line touring...not so great if you like curves.

Cheers!

Doug

Old 08-23-2016, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Mike, you MAY be the first other than me to think that engineering a small component car using the drivetrain from a front-wheel drive auto in a midship placement is a great idea. I own and drive a '89 Honda Accord and despite having almost 300K on the odometer, when I replace it I will keep the VTEC V-6/automatic transmission for exactly such a project...maybe a small size mid-engined sand rail (I have seen a tube-type beach buggy with a transverse mounted Ford 4-cylinder behind the driver)?

Dugly
To be honest, these engines are too big or this scale mate, maybe when I do a corvette, GT40 and a Monaro I may look more into the little car engine idea. The bike motors are compact and give way more ponies that the appropriate sized car donks.
regards mick
Old 08-26-2016, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I can't see any pics....amI doing something wrong ?
Old 08-26-2016, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
But go to that google map link...and check out all of the massive circular crops...looks awesome.
Cheers
Those crop circles have nothing to do with aliens ....they are center-pivot irrigation systems the farmers use in this arid environment to increase their yields. Irrigated land will easily produce twice what dry-land crops yield. The irrigation systems are very expensive and because the water table is dropping so rapidly in our aquifer they are not permitting many these days. When I was in high school (1967) water was about 150 feet down...these days it is 600 feet down. Farmers cannot afford to drill that deep for water for irrigation unless they are large producers, and forget putting that kind of $$ into a farm home...too expensive, so most of the farmers are moving into towns that have municipal water wells and can afford the maintenance.

This IS, however, the "breadbasket" of the United States...

Cheers!

Doug
Donunder likes this.

Last edited by YerDugliness; 08-26-2016 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: trying to get rid of photos that I did not attach ?????
Old 08-26-2016, 10:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah Doug,
I knew what they were...but there's SO many of them...
It looks awesome.
Back to the cars I suppose.
Cheers,
Warren

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: