Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2016, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3175
Not Ranked     
Default Classic Revival Owners

Can anyone provide any info on the CR currently advertised on unique cars? I believe this car is owned by Ian Daneer himself.

I'm curious to know the differences between the mk4 and mk5 chassis (specifically any shortcomings of the mk4?)

I also understand this car was factory built and used as a demo, so surely some of you have driven this car and can comment on it's set-up / performance / handling etc.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Do you have a link to the ad? Or is it one of those old school paper magazine things?
Old 02-19-2016, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

AC COBRA for sale

Is indeed Ian's car.
Square tube chassis,
This car was at Ian's factory when I visited before ordering in 2010,

It Had some minor body damage to front RH guard, when i picked my kit up in January 2011.

Next chassis mk. after Ian's square tube version was the round tube, current version, although a few minor bracketry tweaks since to radiator mount etc.
The big difference between the 2 versions is chassis design, and suspension type and geometry.
Others can tell you about the square tube version, but the later version uses custom upper and lower front arms, VZ knuckles and re-positioned steering rack.
The rear uses custom upper arm, VE lower forward and trailing arms, knuckles, VE diff with shortened custom axle shafts.
The round tubes look like a solid handler on the track from recent exploits and others have fine tuned mods that have improved the square tube handling, refer Aussie Mike, Boxhead and others on here.
All that being said,
I have been in Ian's car and it went and handled like a cut cat.!

Dave
Cobra72 likes this.

Last edited by DaveW; 02-19-2016 at 05:42 PM..
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

wow 95k, 408 is a great motor, I have 414 stroker in my 40 and does it throw you back in the seat. The only problem i have with CR's is there is not much dish in the rear wheels....IMHO.
boxhead and Cobra72 like this.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dave, appreciate the detail on chassis / suspension differences and hope to see comments from Aussie Mike, Boxhead and others.

Does $95k seem a little rich given old chassis?

Cheers.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

It would want to be a very fresh car.
There is nothing wrong with a square tube CR.
They have been very competitive winning loads of events and have been featured in many magazines. Shelby American even has a poster of one with skulls on it claiming it to be an original.
IMHO it's probably worth about $10k+ less than that.
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I do think we are yet to see one of these CR fancy round tube wannabe's best a square tube CR on the track.
boxhead, Gav, gjkrv8 and 2 others like this.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
I do think we are yet to see one of these CR fancy round tube wannabe's best a square tube CR on the track.
We're working on it. The force is strong in young Ben
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Cobra72

If your interested, go and have a chat with Daniel Steers, the new owner of CR, he is an ex employee and apprentice from CR and will have a lot of knowledge on the background of these cars.
Hell of a nice guy as well, and on your doorstep.

Dave
albanycobra and Cobra72 like this.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Good advice above
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Dave (and all above)
Will make contact with Daniel this week.
Cheers
Old 02-20-2016, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Nothing wrong with the square tube chassis once the mods are done to correct bump steer at the back.

Price seems pretty steep, even though it has a good engine. I wonder what date this car was engineered.....?

Good luck with your search.

Ben
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

As Ben said, once the rear bump steer kit is fitted, the cars drive very nice, and have proven to perform well on the track (unless I am driving)
I think Aussie Mike did supply a rear link kit to Ian, so it may well be fitted.

The lack of dish is about the worst visual aspect to the CR, this can be engineered out of the car though (again thanks to Aussie Mike), also Mando has done a mod to get more dish.

There are a few things on this car that in my opinion hurt its sale value, Mags, steering wheel, carbon dash, gauges (but hey, that is a personal thing so open to personal tastes)

the compliance date would be an interesting thing, not sure when it was done, but I see no provisions for headrests (unless somewhere behind the seats).

As for value, I honestly have no idea. If you like it and reckon the price is right, then go for it.
Hell, I nearly sold mine last year at $55k as I figured that was about the value. But was shot down pretty quickly as too cheap.
Cobra72 likes this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I never supplied a bump steer kit to Ian. We never quite saw eye to eye after a few of us suggested some mods to improve his chassis. He never seemed to be interested in any of the improvement we made to the kit.

I have one rear bump kit left on the shelf if you do buy the car.

Square tube cars are a good solid handling car when set up right. Just look at the results from Gav and Phil Mizzi and others over the years. Probably a bit more development in the square tube than the newer round tube cars but round tubes are catching up as people complete them and dial them in.

One thing you will find with Classic Revival cars is they don't often come up for sale. People who build them and own them tend to keep them and that says a lot about them to me.

Dash and Steering wheel are easily changed if you don't like that modern look

Can't do much about the rear dish though without major work to the rear suspension. But with the right wheel choice they can look good. Have a look at the wheels on Gav's Phil Mizzi's, Bejay's, Andrew's and Boxhead's cars. They all look pretty good to me without narrowed rear ends.

I took 2" out of each side of mine and am very happy with the dish now. I also removed about 20KG or more of un-sprung weight. I've contemplated producing a kit but it's a lot of work to make everything and I don't think people would be prepared to pay a reasonable rate for the time and effort involved. I am thinking about designing and producing a CNC machined lower arm instead of the fabricated chrome molly tube arms I currently have. It may be something I'll offer in future if there is enough interest (and only after my own car is back on the road).

Cheers

Old 02-23-2016, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

If you are keen on a CR and want a really good one I'd be talking to Phil Mizzi. He's got probably about the best CR in the country and was talking about selling it a while back. Maybe drop him a message and see if he's still thinking about letting it go.

Cheers
Gav, Towmaster and Cobra72 like this.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I've just finished the rear end mods on my car, and today I have had it wheel aligned and it passed fine. I have ten inch wheels with 7.5 offset. Plenty of dish. I reduced the rear about 40 mm each side. I went the easier way and cut the rear arm near the outer rose joint and rewelded it. It was easier but probably not cheaper. So I drove it 50 yards today for the first time. What a Adrenalin rush.
JD
Old 02-23-2016, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

You welded cast?
I'm glad it was you driving!!
boxhead likes this.