Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2016, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

FWIW, Talking to a guy today with a 4 post hoist. He said the hoist manufacturer recommended 1000x1000 footings, 500 deep. He made it a neat cube and went 1000x1000x1000.

Having said that, he laid 590 square metres of concrete for the driveway and sheds, so what's another 4 cubic metres between friends...
Gav and renovationinnov like this.

Last edited by 750hp; 03-27-2016 at 03:17 PM..
Old 03-27-2016, 03:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
The ones I really hate are the old fashion single huge pole that comes out of the ground with the huge pad. Totally useless trying to get a trans or exhaust out of a car. A 4 poster with the 2 i beams that lock at certain positions that allow the wheels to be free would be a great way to go.
JD
i helped jack hammer one of those out of a old service station with a friend who got it for free providing he removed it . when i did my apprenticeship thats all they had ..only good thing about them is you can spin the car around to face the doorway lol.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
FWIW, Talking to a guy today with a 4 post hoist. He said the hoist manufacturer recommended 1000x1000 footings, 500 deep. He made it a neat cube and went 1000x1000x1000.

Having said that, he laid 590 square metres of concrete for the driveway and sheds, so what's another 4 cubic metres between friends...
Sounds like the hoist manufacturer has shares in a concrete company!
Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: johnex
Not Ranked     

I have seen two post hoists mounted on sono tubes with rebar. Not sure it will work there but lot less cutting and pouring. There are two types of two post hoist as most of u know asmetrical where post are rotated in which keeps car back more for big boys to get in and out better but it seams to be the one that more cars fall off of. If u pull large part off u need to be careful. 4 post eat up a lot of space but do make nice benches. It's common to see 2 post ones on sono tubes outside here so it does seam to work. Good luck hoist is best thing u can buy it will keep family and friends close lol
Old 03-28-2016, 11:46 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Just Google "car falling off lift".
There are plenty of videos and almost all are with 2-post lifts.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
I watched a bunch of videos. Ron White says it best...you can't fix stupid.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: johnex
Not Ranked     

You can see guys driving off 4 posters also. If u are worried a good hoist guy will tell u the ideal and what will work be honest it's cheep to have them installed. They do annual inspections here on them and it nice piece of mind when your standing under them. I bought mine used it was take out from dealership I was a little leary so they came and inspected it
Old 04-02-2016, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

My old Molnar is 35 years old. I talked to the repair /maintenance guy and he said that the cables would need replacing after 10 years. But as I don't use it everyday, I got a bit slack with maintenance. I did grease the pulleys and looked at the cables. So now I'm a little nervous and looking into a new hoist or repairs. The new style hoists mainly use a hydraulic ram in each post with a chain over a pulley on each ram. So the base plate only hides a hydraulic hose and a small leveling cable. So it doesn't support the main posts. Therefore the minimum concrete thickness is 150mm and you are totally relying on the dynobolts to stop the post wanting to collapse into the centre. The Molnar hoist has 2 large rectangle channels under the base plate and the post bolt to the base plate. It can almost free stand. So all and all, they are a very strong hoist.So I'll be overhauling mine. The cables only cost 600 dollars. So any one looking for a hoist, you really need to look into them.The free floor one would be better as the overhead bar will strengthen the upright. But you need a high shed. Otherwise a 4 poster would be stronger.
JD
Old 04-03-2016, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Never had a car come off for me, but I've seen plenty through others incompetence.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My brother in law had one drop all the way down from the top next to him. He used to just lift the hoist and not lower it down to the safety catch. When the hoist dropped it got a run up which made the safety either jump or sheer of the catches. He now has a pit. I now lower it onto the catches every time.
JD
Old 04-14-2016, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Has anybody got any experience using a full height scissor lift type. Some can be mounted into the floor to leave a totally flat surface. Can be moved around when not needed.
JD
Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Has anybody got any experience using a full height scissor lift type. Some can be mounted into the floor to leave a totally flat surface. Can be moved around when not needed.
JD
Hi

I was told that they are not approved for working under.

Just next to - as in wheel changes.

Cheers

Tony
Old 04-15-2016, 01:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Really. They look pretty solid with a large safety ratchet. Guess I'll be looking into 2 posters. Any body dealt with tufflift or peak hoists?
Molnars are twice as expensive.
JD
Old 04-15-2016, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison no. 9, Pace GT40 no. 14 build
Not Ranked     

JD, i have a tufflift 2 post overhead model which works well, i bolted it together then had it inspected/commissioned by a hoist inspector when he was doing his regular visits to the area, planning to relocate it to another shed shortly. Dc
Old 04-15-2016, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

I was recommended a tufflift 4t 2 post by an installer who was recommended by my mechanic and local trade suppliers.

He installed one at a local work shop so i went there and had a look.

Very impressed with the quality. Also came with the installers and work shop owner's recommendation.

Price was right too.

My purchase of a tufflift is pending other obstacles

Cheers

Tony
Old 04-15-2016, 01:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     
Default Try Greg Smith Lifts

I had many of the same worries when I was shopping a lift, saw a Greg Smith display at a trade show and bought a 4 post that came with air over hydraulic jack trays, drip pans, etc...
The key selling point to me was that the lift was moveable, so I could position it anywhere on its 4 large column pads without worrying about the concrete pad being insufficient. Can even move it with a car loaded. Much more user friendly to me space-wise, and has been trouble free. No access problems at all.

AtlasŪ Garage Pro 8000 EXT Portable Hobbyist 8,000 Lbs. Capacity 4 Post Lift (EXTRA TALL) | Greg Smith Equipment Sales, Inc.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm still looking for a hoist. Because of my height I need a 1960 mm pad height lift.
There is one that really stands out is a Nussbaumm German made hoist sold through Molnar in Adelaide. It is a free floor model with 2 ram hanging from the top and pulling the carriage up. It's primary oil feed goes into the side of the ram, then the oil on top of the ram feed the slave cylinder on the other side the same way, and the oil is bled of the top. The big advantage [hyperflow] is that it automatically balances the 2 sides so there is no need for balance cables, pulleys or chains. It is only $4750. The only problem I have now is having to go through my shed roof and fit the crossbar outside and waterproof it somehow. The model number is powerlift HL 2,30 K. See it on the Molnar web site.
JD
P.S. It will lift to 1990mm with a 100mm minimum pad height.