Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison 302 Windsor
Not Ranked     

I agree the Nitto NT05 looks like a pretty good candidate for the control tyre.
I contacted Toyo head office (owners of the Nitto brand) and they don't actually bring the NT05 into Australia.
I did question them on why then am I able to find them on ebay - they said that you can buy them from companies that are are able the deliver into Australia but officially, they are not sold here.

Other than offering the TOYO Proxes R888 or the R888R (both R spec tyres) he was unable to offer another tyre in their range that would satisfy our range of size requirements.

I guess the search continues.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I've had the Toyo R888s on the car for a couple of years now.
245/17 Front and 315/17 rear.

I was just after some good traction
(I've used them for many years on the track on previous Cobras),
didn't really expect them to last as well as the Kumhos that I had previously.

Can not get over how well they've lasted...and stick like glue when they're pushed.
Cheers,
Warren
Old 02-15-2017, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually Wazza,
the guy at Toyo I was dealing with was really pushing the R888's for exactly that reason. He said that they stick very well and they are very resilient - he says better on wear than most non-R-spec performance tyres.

The problem we have is the control tyre class was introduced partly to be easier on the car.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

888's are great but I think defeat the purpose of the control tyre class's intention, which was for blokes wanting to have a bit of a go without going stupid fast or pushing the car to the absolute limit.

I think its going to be difficult to come up with one tyre - Maybe the Falken RT-615k? It does seem to come in our typical sizes.

The federal RS-R looks to be a good tyre for the price, but in the 17's only goes up to 255\40R17. You can get a set of 2 x 235/45R17 and 2 x 255/40R17 for less than $600 from here:

235-45-17 Federal 595 RS-R 94W - TyresForLess
Old 02-15-2017, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Toyo R888 Alternatives
Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The size range for 17 and 18's looks OK in the Falken RT-615k. Up to 275 in the 17's and up to 315 in the 18's.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

I am probably going to go with Nitto NT05's as they seem to have the most size options and fit my needs and seem to be the closest match for the KU36's. St George tires in NSW have them avail. Cheers Gregg

P.S. Shame KU36's aren't around anymore they were a great option
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe for the control tyre class, we could have the KU36, the Nitto NT05 or the Falken RT-615k???
boxhead and schipps like this.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
Maybe for the control tyre class, we could have the KU36, the Nitto NT05 or the Falken RT-615k???
Spot on Kim. I don't think we will get a single tyre in the future that would suit everyones sizing requirements and availability etc.

As long as they are moderately similar in performance its then just down to the driver - bugger :-)

Although I still think anyone with a Le Mans top should be docked 10 secs - just stirring :-)

cheers

Gregg
boxhead, Gav and Cobra72 like this.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

You should borrow one Greggy
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
You should borrow one Greggy
can't do that as then it will come down to driver skills again and then I'm stuffed :-)
Old 02-16-2017, 04:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
This looks like a de-facto UTQG based selection, unless there is another basis for choosing these tyres. (?)

Knowing that the tyre range will have to be addressed for 2018, has the Nationals Committee come up with firm criteria for the control tyre(s).

so far looks like

- not 'R' spec
- available
- fat

I find myself quite interested in this class, sadly tyres mentioned to date don't seem to come in suitable sizes for 15"

LoBelly
Tenrocca likes this.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael, there's a neat site tiresize.com that allows you to put your sizes in and it gives you what manufacturers have in your size etc. I thought one of the ones above had a few 15" sizes. Although from what I've seen the 15" tyre of choice seems to be the Avons. Cheers Gregg
Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I use this one Gregg.
Custom wheels, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

You are pretty right with the criteria Lobelly, just add sporty performance and desirable for Cobra owners to have as their every day tyre.

With regard to the 15" wheel sizes, we have considered that the best class for them would be class 1 - the 15" wheel class.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

What would be nice is if Falken were contacted and were able to come on as a sponsor with a discount for Cobra club members on the RT615K?

Or alternatively just:

"Control Tyre UTQG 140+ class"

I cant see any tyre from any manufacturer that would give anyone an unfair advantage if the tyre met that one simple criteria.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Manufactured by Me, 408 Windsor, TKO600, 3.3 Jag rear
Not Ranked     

An earlier post suggested that the Kumho V720 was going to be the replacement for the KU36 and after a bit of research, I do not believe that is the case. Here is a snippet from tirerack.com

The Ecsta V720 is Kumho's Extreme Performance Summer tire developed for passionate driving enthusiasts looking for a tire that was bred for performance and domesticated for civil society. Because its design focus is street use and specifically to excel in the short runs seen during autocross competition, the Ecsta V720 should not be driven on a race track.

Just thought I would throw that in the mix. Good luck with your decisions
gjkrv8 likes this.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

It's a hard one that's for sure.
The UTQG rating is speculative given that the manufacturer nominates their own rating.
The class is definitely useful though given that it breaks up what was a huge class 3 at the Nationals.
Multiple tire suppliers looks to be the only answer for the class to continue.
Those competing in the class need to be aware though that there will be a better tire amongst the selection and that will only be shown after the class is next run.