Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Zacson
  • 1 Post By fordracing65
  • 1 Post By LoBelly
  • 1 Post By Gav
  • 1 Post By Jaydee

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2016, 08:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Lsd or not

Hi guys....
Im still going on building my gforce Cobra...
I have a standard Jag rear not a LSD.
Not sure of the gearing but i was always going to pull it out and change it for LSD. After doing some research some people prefer the standard diff saying it produces less oversteer. This has me totally confused as i always thought LSD would be stronger.... As i continue my build i woukd love to hear opinions whether standard vs LSD is better..
Can i get good gears in a standard centre?
Love some opinions...Cheers
Old 10-23-2016, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427
Not Ranked     

Don't waste your time with a standard open centre diff!
Ron61, Gav and joyridin' like this.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans chassis, jag fr. & rear.
Not Ranked     

First see what ratio your diff is.
Count the teeth on the ring gear (rg) and count the teeth on the pinion gear (pg).
Using a calculator divide the rg by the pg and that is the ratio.
The Salisbury diff fitted to a Jag had a small plate attached by one of the rear cover bolts.
This plate (if still attached) would give the teeth count for each gear and/or the diff ratio.
Search engine (google) Jag diffs. You'll learn heaps.

Dave
Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacson View Post
Don't waste your time with a standard open centre diff!
Completely agree.

V8 torque and horsepower, and open centre diffs are not a good look.

They produce less to no oversteer because one wheel is still rolling, while the other is spinning.

A True Trac is my choice for the street.

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 10-26-2016 at 04:44 AM..
Old 10-24-2016, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

I had an open diff when I got the car - and it was real good if all you wanted to do was spin one tire. I now have a Torsen-type differential (Powertrax Grip Pro WELCOME TO POWERTRAX - Powertrax ) and it is fabulous. These are available for Dana 44, but only ratios 3.92 and up. Most major manufacturers now offer Torsen-type differentials, including the very popular Eaton Detroit Truetrac.

It's worth noting there are different units for axle ratios: a) 3.73:1 and down; and b) 3.92:1 and up.

Last edited by cycleguy55; 10-24-2016 at 12:56 PM..
Old 10-24-2016, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You will melt the spider gears from spinning so much with a non-LSD.

Do you know what year or version your Jag rear-end is? Earlier version can easily be retrofitted with a Dana 44 LSD instead of the Salisbury version.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Gears....

I have found a LSD centre 3.3.1 gearing...
Wondering on opinions if it would be a suitable combo to go with my T5 and 5.0 Tickford 220kw motor...I thought with the T5 having such a tall 1st gear thought it might well together...Any thoughts guys
Old 10-24-2016, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

I took LSD a few times. So I would say no.
Aussie Mike likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Lsd

Mr 777,

IMO the ratio is more important.

My RMC/GForce with stroked 351w (350hp) 5 speed T3550 with an open 3.54

Jad diff was excellent. I replaced wit with the same ratio LSD and its fab but it

is a handfull in the wet. The 220kw motor will still spin the single diff but

unless you are increasing the power it will do. The best ration to look for is the

3.54 and see what the price difference is between the LSD or not.

Stiffy
Old 10-24-2016, 09:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemath777 View Post
I have found a LSD centre 3.3.1 gearing...
Wondering on opinions if it would be a suitable combo to go with my T5 and 5.0 Tickford 220kw motor...I thought with the T5 having such a tall 1st gear thought it might well together...Any thoughts guys
At 220kW/295hp I would say that you are in the 'want' rather than 'need' category as far as the LSD goes.

I know of a some fast RMC / Gforce cobras that have run with open diffs and sticky tyres

I had an open 3.31:1 with my 289 and it was fine, after a while I went to a 347 and spun a lot on the track so went to a LSD centre made up of some later model Jag parts - ended up at 3.58:1 IIRC.

I am very happy with the result but with better tyres I may not have needed the LSD. But then, not all choices about your cobra are entirely rational.

In your shoes I would move the diff centre down the priority chain and progress the rest of the build see how you feel about the ratio once you've taken it round the block a few times.

I generally agree with Stiffy on the ratio being more important however on a day-to-day basis the difference is not stark. You tend to notice it more with energetic driving.

gratuitous diff centre photo

LB
dave295 likes this.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Before you settle on any diff carrier you ought to take a hard look at this one, click here => Wavetrac. To my knowledge it is not made for a Dana 44, but it seems they make it for everything else.

Perhaps the easiest center section to use is the 8.8 Ford IRS and this unit will slide right in. There are no clutch packs and no preload. Everything is done with gears and the driving experience is like no other.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Would it be true to say , that if you floored it going around a corner it is less likely for the rear end to let go if both tyres spin with a lsd, opposed to the inside tyre spinning letting you know to slow down with an open wheeler?
JD
Old 10-25-2016, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
Would it be true to say , that if you floored it going around a corner it is less likely for the rear end to let go if both tyres spin with a lsd, opposed to the inside tyre spinning letting you know to slow down with an open wheeler?
JD
If you floor it and break both tires loose the rear end will come around faster than you can say "holy s**t!" Some drivers are quick enough to counter steer and catch it, but many of these incidents have resulted in damaged cars and bruised egos - or worse.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

It's a no brainer IMHO.
Put in a LSD and save yourself the work of changing it later.
The fact that you are thinking out loud about it tells me that you know you will want one at some point down the track.
Stiff is right about ratio's too. A 3.5 or 3.7 is optimal and will be a worthy modification if you have the diff apart.
Millsy likes this.