Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By SVO 050
  • 3 Post By leroy17

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2016, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Adelaide, SVO 5l, Tremek 5Speed, jag front and rear
Not Ranked     
Default American Racing wheels

Just received a set of American Racing 427,s from the importer. Took 6 months from date of order as original distributor her closed shop? Upon opening the boxes to check the measurements etc. found the "chrome Look" powder coating peeling off one of the rear rims on the inside lip, checked the remaining rims and found bubbles and pretty average finish on the rear of all wheels. Front of wheels looks fine.
Took the spinners out of their boxes and found polished finish very average, upon turning the spinner over, found "made in China" on rear of casting.
Where the cast centres have been welded into the rims the centre powder coating is burnt and black soot left on the centre section looking from the rear.
That was the deal breaker.
My local Tyre store, "Trident Tyre Centre" has been nothing but supportive of my decision to not want the wheels.
I intend to order a set of B51,s from Dragway and stick with the Australian Made Company. Not Happy Jan!
Old 06-06-2016, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Not good news. I have the AR torque thrust 2 wheels on mine and they were well made and none of the issues you have had. Looks like they have gone down hill since then.

Nicest bolt on wheels Ive seen have been the new dragways like Modena has or the team 3's are very nice also. I think the new dragways are are quite different to the old ones they used to sell - Ben can comfirm Im sure.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

My spinners where made in South Africa not China. Sounds like they have decided to down grade quality.
I was considering anther set for my next car but maybe not now.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Cobra w/351W
Not Ranked     

That's terrible news. I just had the same wheels mounted about a week ago. I looked them over really close and did not see any flaws. Did not see the spinners before they were mounted so not sure of the origin.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2016, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Sad news Mate and gut wrenching. Nothing worse than waiting ages only to get poor quality. Hope it gets sorted soon.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I have torque thrust 2 and they were perfect out of the box. Guys that mounted the tyres put a few scratches on them but they polished out.

I got mine from Wheel Boyz in QLD back in 2009. They had the front on the shelf because i got a standard offset. Rears were custom but only took a few weeks from memory.

Shame to hear they have gone down hill like that. Completely unacceptable.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B Ford FE from Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

I purchased a 17 inch set of the Shelby endorsed American Racing 427 wheels from Bob Lacey at Vintage Wheel in San Diego about 18 months ago and could not be more pleased. The quality of the entire tire (Nitto Extreme 555) and wheel package that was shipped to me was outstanding. Bob Lacey was great to work with and always just a phone call away if I had a question. He was very helpful when it came to getting all of the wheel offsets correct.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wheels update

Have reached a stalemate with the wheels, American racing still want to charge full price for the faulty wheels? I have requested a letter from them confirming that they will honour the warranty if the coating continues to peel after fitting them to my car, still waiting.
I have told the local supplier that I don't want the wheels, I'm mindful of the fact that I have used Trident for years and that they are supporting my decision, great customer service.
After speaking to some of the Trident staff, they have confirmed that a lot of the wheels coming from the US are pretty average, not made in the US anymore and quality of finish is questionable.
Dragway have quoted on a set of B51 15 x 10 and 15 x 8 but I will wait until the Americans reply on this set prior to doing anything else, lucky I didn't sell the Cragars.
Cheers
SVO
Old 06-17-2016, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I'm not totally up on the situation but I think if you fit and run the wheels there might be an issue with your claim. They say you used them so you must be ok with them.
That was a 60's trick, no doubt can still be used today.
Take care and good luck .
Old 06-21-2016, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wheels sorted

Have been talking to Trident Tyre Centre, they have gone out of their way to sort my wheels, they have sanded and repolished the backs of the wheels and cleaned up the welds.
I did not expect them to have to correct American Racings poor quality control but they have, credit where credits due, thanks Andrew .
We will fit the wheels in a few days.
Can't say enough about Tridents customer service, not many businesses will go to these lengths.
Cheers
SVO
Old 06-23-2016, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Good outcome. The back of the wheels doesnt really matter if not perfect, but flaking paint is unacceptable and would lead to oxidation spreading.

American racing should have just requested your dealer to repair and then paid them for it. Better service for you and prevents the bad publicity they will get with this forum post coming up in google for the next few years when someone does a search on them.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Some before and after pics to see the good work that Trident have done would be good.

I am all for praise for people/business that go above and beyond.
gjkrv8, renovationinnov and Marlox like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: