Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

I'm using the cats with a 1,2 metre hotdog. It doesn't sound to loud. Maybe shove some wire down the pipes?
Speaking of cats. A few years back I whent to a break down, and the member said that he would try to start the car, then when he let go of the key, it would make a sound like a sick starter. It did this several times. So I opened the bonnet and there was a cat all tangled up in the fan belt. It was face down hanging under the car, not looking healthy. So I rang the superviser trying to work out what to do. One suggestion was to ring the police, and come and shoot it, and put it out of misery. I thought I'll try and untangle it. So I loosened the alternator and removed the fan belt, and it looked like it never broke it's skin because it wasn't bleeding, but it dropped out onto the road and lay there for a while. Then it cashed in a few of it's lives and ran of.
JD
Rog246 likes this.
Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

If you need to pass IM240, you basically need injection and a decent cat.

The LPG thing was from ages ago in an older ADR when there were no allowances stated for LPG so you had free rein for whatever emissions you wanted. there are now listed standards for this, so no loophole.

As to Chook getting his registered on carbies recently in NSW. I've seen the car and it shouldn't have been registered like that.

Treeve
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe they are open to bribery? But my emission dyno guy says, with a good euro 4 cat you can get the emissions down enough with gas or a carby. The main problem is that every state has different rules. Soon we'll need a passport to get around Australia.
JD
Old 07-06-2016, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Hey JD, do you have any photos of your set up.
You could possibly look at injected gas by parnell or others, as this would be totally efficient and tuning would be optimised if it's injected.
The other thing is that you need to runs the cats as close to the headers as possible, anymore than 300mm+ away from the headers and they do not work properly.
I'm assuming your statement of requirements says you need to meet ADR37.00 for emissions so maybe speak to Tonkin consulting to assist you on this matter and they can help with the lane change testing etc.. to get your car certification up to speed.
Cheers
Wil

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 07-06-2016 at 10:15 PM..
Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
my last cobra was straight lpg had to run cats and they made me put a air pump on the engine as well it passed first time .was told yrs ago you would never get a carby car passed due to emissions
How long ago was this Dean.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-07-2016, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICCARS View Post
How long ago was this Dean.
about 15 yrs ago or there abouts
Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB Windsor 302 stroked to 347
Not Ranked     

Treeve - I'd be careful with comments like that. What's that saying about throwing rocks and glass houses...

As you suggested, since you saw the car, many upgrades have been made. Basically with 2 x cats, upgraded exhaust system, carb clean out and tune, and a decent and experienced mechanic, it's possible to pass the IM240 with a carb. And there's been a few after me too.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chook View Post
Treeve - I'd be careful with comments like that. What's that saying about throwing rocks and glass houses...

As you suggested, since you saw the car, many upgrades have been made. Basically with 2 x cats, upgraded exhaust system, carb clean out and tune, and a decent and experienced mechanic, it's possible to pass the IM240 with a carb. And there's been a few after me too.
From my interpretation of the current requirements all carbies are out as 15 years ago and only fuel injection will suffice for any form of compliance - this has been the advice from the local engineers over in S.A.
I guess it is all about the emissions after all and if you can validate that by way of an IM 240 emission cycle test then the results speak for themselves.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-07-2016, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ICCARS - I'm not sure if the states have different legislation or standards/levels but I do know of a couple engineers who support carbs in NSW. And really it's not the engineers who test this, it's the RMS who test it, and then the engineers confirm it back to them that it meets their specifics. For JD - I'd suggest to call a few different car clubs to see if they know of cars that have been built/re-built with carbs and then ask who they used as an engineer. Alternatively get a hold of who's on the panel of engineers and go down the list. Either way you should find out if the state has tolerance for them by doing one of those.
Best of luck!!!
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've also just read from a post in 2013 on a different forum, best to try;

Bell's Auto Service in Prospect
Graham West Workshops in Park Holme

Apparently they use to certify for services SA when their testing equipment was down and being repaired. Also sounds like if it failed they could assist on the spot with what might be required to pass it.
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-08-2016, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys.
Yes it is Graham West that's advising me on the cats I need to make it pass. I'm using a Impco 425 mixer on a four barrel adapter straight on the manifold. With the long air cleaner it's hard to tell that it's running on LPG. The exhaust joins into one pipe only 150 mm from the engine, and the cat Is between the guard and the foot well, then does a 90 into a 1,2 meter hot dog. My engineer doesn't see a problem with gas. Hopefully it''ll pass with the right cats on it. They are actually smaller then the ones I was using before.
JD