Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Gav
  • 3 Post By Tenrocca
  • 1 Post By Tenrocca
  • 1 Post By Modena
  • 2 Post By leroy17
  • 3 Post By AVO
  • 3 Post By LJ47
  • 1 Post By Modena

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Shock absorber recommendations

After a short drive to church (Dans) today, realised the front driver's shocker had collapsed.

To be precise the collets at the bottom of the spring had moved off the old Monroe gas shockers and the car was decidedly lower on the driver's side. Knew this cause I bottomed out the exhaust.

Not the first time and I've had enough, though I was going to do the whole car at once. I am now just going to get the front redone first.

So after shocker recommendations or at least ideas of what to avoid.

Know the QA1's have seen some favour, particularly the single and double adjustability variants, but I am prepared to spend some more on higher level shocks if recommendations suggest.

So what do you guys suggest?

Look forward to the feedback.

Cheers

Steve
Old 10-09-2016, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

Hi Steve,

I am getting mine custom built by a retired suspension engineer in Geelong. He is about to order his own shocker dyno to set them up to the car.
If something like this interests you I can contact him.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Ross

Except for the distance it might be good idea.

However I am after suggested brand options first.

Have to say my past history in past older Euro cars was Koni.

These were never coil overs but performed very well.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I think that if you are after ride quality, pay the extra and get something like Koni's or similar
deano59 likes this.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I have no experience with anything else but the QA1's on my car, and I cannot fault them. Built quality is excellent and excellent value at the time. Were cheaper than the equivalent AVO's which were the recommended shock and have caused issues for other.
boxhead, Gav and Cobra72 like this.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hi Tenrocca.. which model QA1's..?

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 10-09-2016, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
I have no experience with anything else but the QA1's on my car, and I cannot fault them. Built quality is excellent and excellent value at the time. Were cheaper than the equivalent AVO's which were the recommended shock and have caused issues for other.
Proma Star Single Adjustable Shocks | Custom Mount Coil-Over Shock Absorbers | QA1 Suspension

I just remembered though - I did have to replace the bearing once on the rears - the nylon ones did collapse on me, but the steel\nylon replacements have been much better.
SydneyChris likes this.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

slowly, the QA1 seem to be pretty much the standard around Cobras around here. A lot, and I mean a lot, of Cobras on here have QA1 and I don't really hear any complaints or regrets.

I have Penske 7500 double adjustables on mine, really just because that is what I wanted. I didn't care that they cost more. Are they any better? Who knows, but I'm happy with them.
albanycobra likes this.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
I have Penske 7500 double adjustables on mine,
I have shock envy, and great to see that you got them just because you wanted them.

That is what cobras and cobra stuff is all about..... no rational reasoning apart from just wanting one (oh and the Penske Shocks are pure class as well).
boxhead and Modena like this.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: My Build Venom kit - LS1
Not Ranked     

Steve,
I bought GAZ shockers and coil overs from V & S Spiteri in Melbourne, the guys helped me with choice and recommendation. Worth a call
Old 10-10-2016, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post

Have to say my past history in past older Euro cars was Koni.

These were never coil overs but performed very well.
Steve, We looked at Koni and they didn't have the adjustable range to suit the corner weights of our car. They are more designed for the standard road car that has more weight over the front wheels than a Cobra.

I also quizzed him on placing a coil over in place and he said that with a shocker installed inside the spring we effectively have a coil over in its operation. Just not the adjustability. Unless you want to relate the mounting points.
I run Koni on my 4x4 and XY and they are good but didn't match the Cobra
Old 10-10-2016, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Steve,

A couple of other points to consider when selecting a replacement shock.

1 Length. Make sure that the extended and collapsed length suits your suspension. The only way to do this is to measure it on the car. Remove the shock and spring, and measure the minimum and maximum distance travel between the upper and lower mounts. Do not use the existing shock to confirm size. I have seen many shocks of the wrong size fitted to low volume production cars.

If it's too long, you will not get the required travel, and will pound out the bump stops, internal parts and or mounts. And handling will not be good.

If too short, you may lift a wheel when cornering. You have four wheels, best to keep them on the road at all times.

2 Spring length. Ensure that the spring free length is recommended by the manufacturer. If too short, it may come off its mount at full rebound, and when cornering, that wheel won't be giving much traction. If too long, it may become coil bound at full bump.

3 Travel. Make sure that your shock travel and the spring travel are compatible. If you have a shock with 3" of travel, make sure that your spring has more than 3" of travel. If it does not, you will get coil bind, and two things will happen. There will be a rapid loss of tyre compliance, and bad handling, and all load will transmitted through the shock and its mounts, which will contribute to a rapid deterioration of both.

All reputable spring suppliers can advise the minimum compressed length of their spring.

4 Mounts. While not really a shock related matter, ensure that the mounts are appropriate. They need to be parallel, and also 90 degrees to the shock. If not, the shock will work in a bind, and will flog out mounts and prematurely wear out internal bushes.

5 Spring rates. If you are running high spring rates (more than 600 lbs/inch), tell the supplier. While there are many other considerations to valving, the valving required for a 350 lb spring, is often different to a 1000 lb spring.
Rob. Smith, schipps and Cobra72 like this.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

AVO thank you for the comprehensive advice.

Just on point 1, do you mean measure the full distance between where the suspension would be at either end of maximum movement?

Or something else?

Ta

Steve
Old 10-11-2016, 10:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK111 Ford 5.0 Cammer N/A
Not Ranked     

The LJ Superformance MKIII Cobra we track uses QA1 they are valved for the weight of the car and supplied from Superformance USA. They have preformed well over the last 5 years with no issues and have good tune ability. The road car used Bilsten as standard. I recommend you use an experienced shock installer or retailer the ride and safety of your car is the most important thing track or street.
Modena, SydneyChris and Cobra72 like this.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ47 View Post
The LJ Superformance MKIII Cobra we track uses QA1 they are valved for the weight of the car and supplied from Superformance USA. They have preformed well over the last 5 years with no issues and have good tune ability. The road car used Bilsten as standard. I recommend you use an experienced shock installer or retailer the ride and safety of your car is the most important thing track or street.
Good advice there. For my own setup I went through detailed specifications and use-case discussions with the Penske agent in Australia, who subsequently valved and setup the shocks to suit including providing full dyno results on every shock setting permutation and the >50 page Penske 7500 technical manual. Buying off the shelf you're going to get what you get, and it wont necessarily suit the car no matter brand of shock it is.
Cobra72 likes this.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
AVO thank you for the comprehensive advice.

Just on point 1, do you mean measure the full distance between where the suspension would be at either end of maximum movement?

Or something else?

Ta

Steve
Steve, measure the full distance between full bump (fully compressed) and full rebound (fully extended). However, there can be some practical issues on fully extended. It can be that in normal use, you would never get to that maximum length. You may need to get some incidence from the suspension designer or an expert in the use of the vehicle