Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2016, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

ive always used simpson helmets for speedway
Old 11-04-2016, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF, 351W, Wilwoods, 17" PS Eng w/Michelin Pilot Sports, Race Bilsteins
Not Ranked     

As kyleb says.... $2 head, $2 helmet. How much is your head worth? Personally, I only use Arai, full face.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Would a HANS devise keep your helmet from hitting the roll bar?

If Dale Ernhart had been wearing a full face helmet would it have saved him? I have only ever had a full helmet.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

Your body has two of several things. You can make do without one of them, and still get along. But for the things of which you have one, protection is a must! Go full face.
deano59 likes this.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye View Post
.. It means you can add and remove sunglasses with a flick of a knob on the side of your head!...
I was part of a team, again back in the 70s, who researched the death of 120 motorcyclists in a one year period. We correlated damage to the helmet with injuries sustained. A great number of riders sustained fatal neck injuries when protrusions on their helmet jagged against something whilst they were rolling along the ground. We recommended helmets be 'bowling ball' shaped. Within a few months the Police were issued with those BMW flip-up jaw piece helmets with multiple protrusions because... wait for it... they 'looked cool - just like the guys on CHIPS' - ignoring all our recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcraigau View Post
I always wonder about the 2 cylinder bilge pump brigade, tatted to the hilt, wearing their "colours" with no helmet screaming through traffic.

I guess if you don't have anything to protect, you don't need a helmet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
My preference is none...
Another piece of research discovered that 'Bikies' shouldn't be required to wear helmets as their anti-social behaviour and custodial terms were harmful to the public and a drain on resources. Basically, a 'Bikie' fatality was a plus for the community. No politician ever ran with such legislation and the research was never published.
Gav and jcraigau like this.

Last edited by PeterAllen; 11-06-2016 at 04:09 AM..
Old 11-06-2016, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAllen View Post
I was part of a team, again back in the 70s, who researched the death of 120 motorcyclists in a one year period. We correlated damage to the helmet with injuries sustained. A great number of riders sustained fatal neck injuries when protrusions on their helmet jagged against something whilst they were rolling along the ground. We recommended helmets be 'bowling ball' shaped. Within a few months the Police were issued with those BMW flip-up jaw piece helmets with multiple protrusions because... wait for it... they 'looked cool - just like the guys on CHIPS' - ignoring all our recommendations
Priceless isn't it?

To be clear though, Peter, this design i think is good. The 'sunglasses' are a good feature - better than having to 'add' sunglasses into the mix or stopping and swapping visors. And I 'oversold' the "flick of a knob" - it is actually a tiny slide tab that I doubt would affect the helmet performance.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Full face, clear visor. My mate killed himself when steam entered the car. While the firewall should have prevented that steam from coming into his eyes, it didn't and neither did his visor-less helmet. We cannot know if the steam influenced his vision at the (drag race) finish line, but we guess it did.

Wasn't it Carroll Smith who wrote: "Racers using an open face helmet should get their brains tested."?

If you spin into the dirt, and your window is open, a lot of debris can enter your car.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Another finding of the research was the lower base of a full-face helmet sometimes contacted, and often fractured, the clavicle, preventing hyperflexion of the neck. Better to have a broken collarbone that a fractured neck.

HANS devices are now used to prevent hyperflexion.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

This is my helmet.

There are many like it, but this one is mine ...

Ed
boxhead likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1. Best you can get. Forget new wheels till next year and buy the top shelf helmet.
2. Get your head professionally measured and then matched to a helmet. Different head shapes can match certain brands.
3. Hans compliant no brainer but make sure your belts seat and all the rest are match fitted.
4. Chin spoiler best for open top cars as it helps prevent your helmet sucking off your head.
deano59 likes this.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

I like the Bell full face. Besides, it is warmer, and helps cut down the exhaust note. But hearing the emergency units coming up behind me has always been difficult.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's strange how you become accustomed to things.......

A cousin of mine has ridden motorcycles all his life. He commuted across Brisbane, a daily round trip of some fifty klms, for much of his working life, always on some bike or other. He has toured most of Australia and a few overseas countries, on bitumen dirt sand snow and ice, always on two wheels. He has driven a family car too when required but his preference has always to take the bike rather than the car.

A few years ago he decided that as he was "getting on" he should try to drive more often rather than ride so he bought an MX5. He never got used to it and sold it after a short time. He told me that after all those years of riding with a full face helmet, he felt fearful and exposed when driving the open-top car without one. Driving his wife's WRX was bearable but being out in the open without head protection was too much for him.

We jump into our cars with our legal but barely effective lap-sash seatbelts and our often only-for-show roll hoops without a second thought, yet here's a bloke who has exposed himself to what we would perhaps call a high degree of risk for many many years, who is unable to feel safe and comfortable in, let alone be able to relax and enjoy, an open car.

I offered him a drive of my lovely old Healey 3000 a while ago. We pottered around my suburban streets for half an hour and he seemed OK but he was noticeably more at ease later on as he threw his leg over his Aprilia preparing to go home.

On a personal note, I ride a Suzuki VStrom 1000 and have a Shoei XR 1000 full face helmet which is coming up for five years old and is therefore due for replacement. I would never consider an open face model although I had a few when I was younger.
deano59 and guye like this.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
On a personal note, I ride a Suzuki VStrom 1000 and have a Shoei XR 1000 full face helmet which is coming up for five years old and is therefore due for replacement. I would never consider an open face model although I had a few when I was younger.
Same helmet I had for last six years Don. Renewed to the new Shoei GT-Air. Try it out - I love it! Lighter, quieter, fog free, built in sunglasses. [/end free plug]
deano59 and Donunder like this.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

best advice given to me when i first started racing was if you think ya heads only worth 50 bucks then buy a 50 buck helmet otherwise buy the best you can afford same with racing suit i have a double layer and use the matching long johns . balaklave socks and gloves even tho our rules say you can use a single layer suit...my body is old and knackered but i dont want to take any chances on safety ..

cheers dean
spookypt likes this.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Open for instruction

Full for solo

chr
Old 11-19-2016, 05:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

I'm in favor of the closed helmet for all times on the track - instruction, track day or race. For instruction, in-helmet microphone/headphones are preferred; don't ask about when my helmet got tested except to say it was during instruction...