Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By hp1050

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, Supercharged 1UZFE
Not Ranked     
Default 7.0L Quad Cam NA 775hp LS Base

https://speedonthewater.com/in-the-n...crate-engine-1

Visitors to the SEMA show, which opened in Las Vegas this morning, will get the first public look at a "real" Mercury Racing SB4 7.0 engine crate engine.

Moments ago at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas, attendees and exhibitors got their first look at Mercury Racing’s new SB4 (Small Block Four Valve) 7.0-litre automotive aftermarket crate engine. Designed, developed and manufactured in-house, the naturally aspirated engine features Mercury Racing’s exclusive aluminum four-valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshaft valve train integrated with a LS cylinder block "packed with Mercury Racing spec hardware," according to a press release from the Fond du Lac, Wis., high-performance marine engine company.

The engine’s proven valve train, which greatly enhances engine durability over a standard two-valve design, enables the engine to produce a staggering 775 horsepower at 7,500 rpm on pump fuel. Benefits of the DOHC four-valve design versus the typical LS pushrod layout reportedly include:

• Improved intake and exhaust flow enables increased engine performance.
• Efficient, high tumble four-valve combustion.
• Low mass, high stiffness design reduces stresses and enables smooth high-rpm
operation and exceptional longevity.
• Improved drivability due to optimized camshaft timing at comparable horsepower levels.

Mercury Racing designs and develops its own fully integrated systems, according to the release, including creating its own electrical and engine management systems. Featuring software written in house at the company, the outfit's proprietary powertrain control module provides the opportunity for customization and application specific needs.

Computer Aided Design renderings showcase the Mercury Racing SB4 7.0 engine and its internal hardware. Component renderings include the engine's custom four-valve cylinder heads, inducation system, DOHC valve train and timing chain.

The Mercury Racing SB4 7.0 engine was developed utilizing 3-D simulations and analyses on airflow, cooling, fuel and lubrication systems. Intense finite element analysis studies were conducted on the head, block and rotating components to ensure an efficient and reliable powertrain, according to the release.

Reportedly “turn-key and ready to run,” the SB4 7.0 engine features Mercury Racing’s proprietary engine control module and electrical harness. The engine comes unpainted to allow builders to color-match the powerplant to the vehicle.

Suggested retail price is $28,995. Exhaust system and engine front drive components such as power steering, alternator, air-conditioner pump, pulleys, belts and related brackets are not included.

This is Mercury Racing’s fourth year exhibiting—booth No. 37005 with the SB4 7.0 engine prominently displayed—at the SEMA show. The SB4 7.0 also is featured in the company’s “development vehicle,” a mid-engine Ultima GTR Supercar.
Morris, Tenrocca and SydneyChris like this.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

insanely good.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 11-06-2016, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace427 Alumina #69
Not Ranked     

Does anyone know if this would be a good option for my new AP Cobra? I was planning on an LS7 already. The SB4 just happen to be my initials so maybe it's just meant to be that this is the one!
Old 11-06-2016, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not much spare space around the heads in an AP engine bay, and surely a quad overhead cam setup would be huge in the head department. Coyote almost doesn't fit for this exact reason.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ask em for specs and dimensions.. love to see some more detail posted.. been just a little sweaty since I read the first post..

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 11-09-2016, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe they had that set-up last year at SEMA and it really didn't garner a lot of interest, but they had no numbers for hp attached. Considering you can get 750 hp without the special quad heads, but with a set of good aftermarket heads, I am not thinking this is going to fly off the shelves.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have I fallen in love with the wrong engine again... !!

Old 11-12-2016, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, Supercharged 1UZFE
Not Ranked     

Automotive | Mercury Racing

OK there's a link to the specs, joyridin whilst you can get these sort of numbers out of a good aftermarket LS heads who wants to be the same as everyone else? The RRP for the turn key package is $29K US you do need to purchase the brakets for PS AC etc but they are available of the shelf. What I really want to see is a charger or turbo on one that would be impressive.
"How much is enough? Just a little bit more"
Old 11-13-2016, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I believe they had that set-up last year at SEMA and it really didn't garner a lot of interest, but they had no numbers for hp attached. Considering you can get 750 hp without the special quad heads, but with a set of good aftermarket heads, I am not thinking this is going to fly off the shelves.
Careful in your comparison. I would expect the 4 valve OHC version to have a much flatter torque curve than a 2 valve push-rod engine. In fact, that much power out of a 2 valve head would have to be peaky and temperamental. The difference in street manors should be huge.

That said the price of the engine is more than many new cars. Who is going to pay that price? So I agree, they are not going to fly off the shelves.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here is a Z06 with a 7 liter. The cam is actually pretty mild. If you figure a 17% drivetrain loss, it comes out to about 747 horsepower. This isn't mine. Just a post from the LS website.

-Stock shortblock
-WCCH Stage 2 heads, milled 0.030" (11.8:1 CR), PSI springs, Ti/Mo intake valve, factory exhaust valve, Ti retainers, bronze guides, BTR pushrods, CHE rockers, ARP headbolts, OE Head Gaskets
-Katech K501 cam, 235/251, 113LSA, C-5R Timing chain, stock lifters
-MSD Intake Manifold, NW102 TB
-LG Motorsports 1 7/8" LT headers, off road x-pipe, Stock mufflers
-Halltech 108 CAI

Not the most unique engine I agree, but for $29k, I would think you could come up with something a bit more unique than even the dual cam engine.
Attached Images

Last edited by joyridin'; 11-13-2016 at 09:09 AM..