Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree20Likes
  • 9 Post By Treeve
  • 1 Post By Treeve
  • 2 Post By Jethrow
  • 1 Post By mudbrick
  • 2 Post By Treeve
  • 1 Post By SydneyChris
  • 1 Post By Zedn
  • 3 Post By Tenrocca

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2016, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     
Default NSW engineer

Saw a concerning post on the FB page about the struggles of finding an engineer in NSW willing to do icv's and not charge $20k+. What is the current situation?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Current situation is bad. RMS are doing what they were doing 4 years ago when nothing would pass. From what I hear they are taking ages to process records and then coming back with silly findings. Not sure if they are unhappy with the engineers again or the people that are making non compliant changes to their cars after rego.

I'm hoping it blows over soon as I want to get my car done in 2017. My engineer has put up his rates understandably.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

Ouch - that's gunna sting!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

The RMS were directed by the minister to inspect a number pfICVs post registration and found 100% to be non compliant. Cobras got a lot of airtime in the 2.5 hour discussion about ICVs at a recent conference with the RMS on this topic.

The process is now longer to prevent reoccurrences.

I know what the goal posts look like so I'm happy to certify ICVs, however I do still run my own business so I choose not to take every customer in order to provide the high quality that is expected of myself. This means: no AP cars, only 2 scratch builds at any time, and currently most of my work covers heavy vehicles.

Treeve
Old 12-24-2016, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you can say, what were the areas of non compliance
Old 12-25-2016, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Wow.....no Pace...can I ask why? Is it a compliance issue? That's bad news for NSW Builders Treeve.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To answer the questions:

No, I can't say what the areas of non compliances are because we weren't told, other than all vehicles that were inspected were found to be non compliant.

Yes you can ask why no AP vehicles. I've seen enough from this forum of positives and negatives writ large by various parties to the point where I don't want to involve myself in the slightest. On other forums I've been asked for supporting documentation for legal proceedings all because of words written on a forum. With the polarising nature of the brand I don't want to involve myself in the slightest so that I'm never asked to pick a side - because I don't want or need that kind of thing in a job which I do as a hobby to really involve myself in a car scene that I love (kit cars).

Treeve
boxhead, stiffy, Tenrocca and 6 others like this.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If these cars have been found to be non compliant, are they issued with defect notice? and then non compliant issues fixed and cars are then re-inspected by RMS to insure compliance
Excuse my ignorance
Old 12-29-2016, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have no idea as to the detail of the inspections or the aftermath. We were informed in a briefing by the Vehicle Standards department of the RMS and that the inspections were at the request of Duncan Gay (minister for roads).

Edit to add:

This also comes down to the "bits falling off after registration" that always seems to get a good bit of airtime round here. If it's not compliant, then make it right in the first place.
mudbrick likes this.

Last edited by Treeve; 12-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: additional information added.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

I wonder if making the task to comply harder will just result in even more bits that seem to fall off .....

It might be smarter to reduce the compliancing requirements to a level the department AND the customer is both happy with ...
Gav and mudbrick like this.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrow View Post
I wonder if making the task to comply harder will just result in even more bits that seem to fall off .....

It might be smarter to reduce the compliancing requirements to a level the department AND the customer is both happy with ...
I would think not likely.
I could think of a few things that could have "fallen off" after rego, probably padded sunvisors/dash pad/passenger warning sign/under car exhaust to live side pipes.........but I'm only guessing because I have no knowledge of such things
deano59 likes this.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Compliance is no harder than it used to be.
They have demonstrated that the RMS's record keeping requirements are not being met.
They have shown that people are using non compliant fittings and certifiers are letting them through, or that people are changing things after registration.
I have compliant side pipes on a V8 clubman.
Indicators appear to be a major area that people always get wrong. Side repeaters and rear indicators included in this.
All the e-markings need to be decoded and demonstrated as meeting the right parts of the ADRs.
Why do sun visors need to be replaced for non compliant ones? That baffles me.
The warning sticker is what it is. You can also get the same thing on your seat belts in you don't want it on your dashboard.
I make my dashboards with the padding built in. I've poured a GT40 dash from the right density foam so that it is compliant.

Most of this stuff just needs a bit of thought and then it can all stay on and doesn't need to 'fall off', will look correct and no one has the problem.

But I'm not one of the cool kids who wants a carbied V8 because that's what the original had. I don't see anyone running side oilers but they want carbs... so it's just a wank factor thing and nothing to do with originality.

Treeve
Rob. Smith and Zedn like this.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Hmmm I want to be a cool kid....I didn't realise they all had carbies.....

WTD: Wank spec 350 Holley for my GT40. Don't waste my time if it's not wank.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is a NSW engineer is based near Wollongong I think, Fink Engineering.. he does a few AP cars via Neil Streeting's shop and other kits too. Not sure on his workload or status re new builds at the moment.

He would repeat a lot of what Treeve has said. I had heard that there was a few bad engineers passing cars allegedly 'sight unseen' which has led to the RMS to crack down... from our point of view, disproportionately so.
Auswallaby likes this.

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade
Old 01-03-2017, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Buy stock legal commodore, lower it, add wide wheels, dark tint, small steering wheel, noisy exhaust, rear spoiler etc all stock legal bits removed and non compliant bits added. It's not legal of course but pretty standard across the board.

Is it not the same that the owner has the issue rather than the engineer who certified it when it was compliant?
Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Yes but it's impossible for them to control what goes on after rego but they can stop them getting rego in the first place. In the past there has always been some assumptions made for compliance as it is not possible to physically do every test method and meet every clause to the letter without alternative means. Hence it is very easy form some unqualified person to apply the words of the ADR and say sorry you don't meet this no VIN.
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I see our new premier has dumped Duncan Gay as roads Minister. New Minister is Melinda Pavey - hope she's a car chick. Duncan Guy was was a self confessed car enthusiast and overall I reckon having him in there was advantageous to the cause.
Gav, Cobra72 and ICCARS like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: