Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By paul68
  • 2 Post By ICCARS
  • 1 Post By Rog246
  • 1 Post By ICCARS

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 540
Not Ranked     
Default Are 5.4L engines ADR compliant in 2017

I was told today that the 5.4l ford engine will not be compliant from November 2016, is this correct as I'm nearly finished my car as was looking to get it engineered in july/august.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

You should be fine, as QLD will still accept A Windsor 351 EFI up to the last model from the US according to my engineer.
The question is sorts technically correct, but that rule applies to NEW CARS and the new regs that started 01/01/17

Harrison #100
Old 02-01-2017, 01:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 540
Not Ranked     

thanks been a will since I got this kit and lost my engineers details so have to search my records. best pull my finger out and get this thing finished ASAP
boxhead and Rog246 like this.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Rog is correct as I believe that QLD are the same as SA and are still working on ADR 37.01 when it comes to ICV's which allows for the windsor engines to be complied, so the BA/BF 5.4L engines are Euro2+ compliant as long as you use the std ECU and run the right Cats etc.. in the exhaust system.
paul68 and Rog246 like this.

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 02-09-2017, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace427 Alumina #69
Not Ranked     

Are LS7's ADR compliant for South Australia rules?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

To my understanding It's the out put (exhaust fumes) of the engine that needs to comply at testing. The engine family is not relevant.

So a four cylinder could fail to comply, while a Lamborghini v10 may still comply.

That said some engine families are engineered by design to have a head start in this area.

Good luck with your build.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Not quiet Dimis but nice try

The theory is that the engine needs to be suitable to adhere to the ADR requirement for each individual state, so for S.A. it is still ADR 37.01 and for Vic and NSW it is Euro 2+ emissions requirements. What this means is that the level of Carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons produced needs to be below the mandated thresholds for an engine running in an ICV.
In S.A. that is 2.5 percent Carbon Monoxide and 250 parts per million Hydrocarbons.
In the other states Euro 2 specs are slightly lower than these figures and engines such as windsors, VN 5Ltr engines etc.. do not meet the requirements and are therefore deemed to be unacceptable for use. That said you can still put one of these engines in an ICV but it will have to undergo an IM240 engine cycle test, whereby they put the car on rollers (in an enclosed room to suck the gases out the engine pipe) and run the engine through it's rev range under specific loads in order to capture the gas emissions produce, and it's a pass/fail thing at a cost of over $1000 a throw in certain states.. The acceptance for individual engine families is generally based on the year of the car and the ADR for each individual state, so anything preceding 2002 in a Windsor based engine will comply as long as it is stock standard and runs the original ECU, loom etc.. etc.. I would suggest that a LS7 engine would come out of a car post 2002, therefore it is OK to use within S.A.

It does get quiet complicated in Vic and NSW as the EPA in their infinite wisdom have up'd the ante and made it harder for guys to comply ICV's primarily based on emissions targets, that's why a lot of guys are now looking to the Coyote motors and LSA motors.

The other thing to take into account is that once you have chosen a builder for you Replica car then immediately get your statement of requirements so that you are locked in to a given compliance criteria whereby even if you take up to ten years to build your car, the law is not retrospective and the transport authority can not make you upgrade your engine spec. Just as long as you renew the S.O.R. annually - some people wait until they are finished building before they get their S.O.R. and get a nasty shock when their engine is no longer valid.

Hope this long winded detail helps.

Cheers

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 02-10-2017 at 12:37 AM..
Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Guys remember E85 is our friend, particularly in the case of having to pass the epa test-it helps heaps.
ICCARS likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 02-10-2017, 01:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICCARS View Post
In the other states Euro 2 specs are slightly lower than these figures and engines such as windsors, VN 5Ltr engines etc.. do not meet the requirements and are therefore deemed to be unacceptable for use. That said you can still put one of these engines in an ICV but it will have to undergo an IM240 engine cycle test, whereby they put the car on rollers (in an enclosed room to suck the gases out the engine pipe) and run the engine through it's rev range under specific loads in order to capture the gas emissions produce, and it's a pass/fail thing at a cost of over $1000 a throw in certain states..
Dear Will,
Can you please help me understand?
How is what I said different to this excerpt taken from you above?
Thanking you kindly.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Dimis,

other than the specific detail I provided for compliance there are two points to consider here :-

1) The engine family is relevant as the ADR's are based on year of manufacture for a vehicle hence a specific engine associated to that vehicle will not comply based on the manufacture date, i.e Windsor or 308 Holden engines as an example of non compliant engine groups for most states now.

2) And the state in which you are trying to achieve compliance ties you into a different category altogether, so a 2002 Lambo V10 engine in NSW will not meet the requirements unless that specific engine is to the Euro 2 emissions standards, however a 4cyl 2005 Nissan SR20 engine may meet compliance based purely on the year of manufacture.

It is also interesting to note that in Vic and NSW the Transport Authority under pressure from the EPA are placing a 3 year amnesty on guys that own ICV's who may have the older generation motors, which in my opinion goes against convention in that they are now saying if you have a registered vehicle that meets the original compliance criteria but not the current criteria, you are obligated to (over a 3 year period) change your engine to a current engine specification or redo the emissions test to prove your engine is suitable for use within Vic & NSW.. Hopefully commonsense will prevail and this will be over turned but I have been advised of this recently, so please don't shoot the messenger as I am just giving the forum my feedback on what I have been told by people in a higher position within the transport authority.
renovationinnov likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 02-10-2017 at 01:09 PM..