Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By BJ's Snake
  • 1 Post By BJ's Snake
  • 2 Post By DanEC
  • 1 Post By Buzz
  • 3 Post By Cobra #3170
  • 4 Post By DaveW

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2017, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator wind deflector ..wing...thingy ?

Hi All,
Sorry couldnt post a pic, but if you have a look at some web pics of original 427 street cars, like Bruce Camberns CSX3170 as an example, there is a horizontal panel in the center of the radiator opening.

Looking at other originals, some times this panel is angled up suggesting that it is a deflector.

Does any body know more info about these ? was it to reduce flow to the radiator for cooler climates or direct air to some other vent purpose ?
How was it adjusted ?

cheers to all
Dave
Old 08-19-2017, 09:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     

I've always liked the look of the splitter in the nose Dave.
Don't know the purpose of it but looks good anyway!

Cheers
DaveW likes this.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

That's awesome BJ, is yours a panel, or a tube, hard to tell from the pics but yes, like the look as well.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Panel in the shape of a wing,radius at the front to a point at the rear, about 100mm wide.

Cheers
DaveW likes this.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

My ERA's re-creation is also wing shaped and it's fixed in position. Seems the exact purpose and effectiveness of the originals has been debated forever. They don't seem to have any effect on engine cooling I'm told. Having an airplane wing in the nose would not seem to be the thing for ground hugging aerodynamics. Since the Street Roadsters were not intended to have an oil cooler maybe it was thought to help direct the air from that lower opening back towards the radiator instead of it moving up along the line of the radiator slope or something. However the area of the oil cooler is blocked off by a panel on my car - not sure about the originals.

1985 CCX and DaveW like this.

Last edited by DanEC; 08-20-2017 at 04:40 AM..
Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

My guess has always been that the originals' radiators slope backwards at a fairly significant angle and the splitter was intended to deflect the flow of incoming air so it entered the radiator perpendicular to its surface for less turbulence and better flow through the fins.
DaveW likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 08-20-2017, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
My guess has always been that the originals' radiators slope backwards at a fairly significant angle and the splitter was intended to deflect the flow of incoming air so it entered the radiator perpendicular to its surface for less turbulence and better flow through the fins.
In which case the splitter would have been angled downwards?
Old 08-20-2017, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Not Ranked     

Hi guys. if you have a radiator that stands straight up. With the grill opening lower compared to the total heigh of the radiator. The air is mainly directed to the lower portion of the radiator. If you have a plate that splits the grille opening and is mounted on the inner end in the middle of the radiator. It will split the air evenly over the radiator surface. As you know the hot water enters the radiator at the top. With more air directed to the top of the radiator. This can help cooling. This also helps when you have a doubble pass radiator.
If the splitter plate angles upwards at the radiator and the air flows well through the core. The flow over the splitter can increase downforce very slightly.
Competition radiators made by PWR can be made with the fins in the radiator on an angle. That way if the radiator is tilted back on the same angle, the air will flow straight through the fins without causing uplift.
Bender
Old 08-20-2017, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Front down force, I have tried it with and without and the nose stays down with the panel installed. Very noticeable above 150.
DaveW, Rog246 and 1795 like this.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

oooh, Bruce, i'm a big fan of you and your car, its my screen saver actually , yes even from downunder in Oz !

Would you have any pics of the splitter and how it adjusts?

cheers
Dave
Old 08-21-2017, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
Front down force, I have tried it with and without and the nose stays down with the panel installed. Very noticeable above 150.
Well that's an interesting first-hand experience report. Wonder why they didn't also use it on the SC and competition models then?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

My radiator leans forward at a good angle so I made the number plate to lay down at speed (60 k ) and stand up when stopped. Damn plate reader cameras have stymied this for me.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Nose splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Well that's an interesting first-hand experience report. Wonder why they didn't also use it on the SC and competition models then?
I asked Dick Smith and he said it was not homologated with the car and they could not use it but they wanted to. I was told by an AC guy from England that I was crazy for not running it because of the down force. I tried it at SAAC at Watkins Glen in the early 1990's. I was up around 165 before the bus stop and the car was very stable at that speed. I took it out right after I bought the car in 1965 because I thought it was ugly. I stored it until the Watkins Glen event and reinstalled it after repainting the car. It has been in ever since, there is no adjustment just two tabs that hold it in place. The car had lots of lift above 140 without it so I was pleasantly surprised. There are pictures of it in my photo gallery.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra #3170 View Post
I asked Dick Smith and he said it was not homologated with the car and they could not use it but they wanted to. I was told by an AC guy from England that I was crazy for not running it because of the down force. I tried it at SAAC at Watkins Glen in the early 1990's. I was up around 165 before the bus stop and the car was very stable at that speed. I took it out right after I bought the car in 1965 because I thought it was ugly. I stored it until the Watkins Glen event and reinstalled it after repainting the car. It has been in ever since, there is no adjustment just two tabs that hold it in place. The car had lots of lift above 140 without it so I was pleasantly surprised. There are pictures of it in my photo gallery.
I was wondering how my 289 FIA would do at around 150-160. It will be a crowded field at Watkins Glen with right now 49 cars in my group. Depending how things open up, I may or may not be able to get up to about 150 on the back straight prior to the bus stop. should be able to get to at least 140. The nose opening is a little smaller on the 289 FIA, not sure how much of an affect that may have. Will let you now in a week and a half.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf 2112 *427 stroker windsor
Not Ranked     

Where can I get radiator wind deflector?
Old 08-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine View Post
Where can I get radiator wind deflector?
Splitter Street Car Splitter Street Car [427 Street CSX KMP HT ACE] - $485.00 : Acton Custom Enterprises, Custom Metal for Cobras

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 08-25-2017, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I formed the shape out of hard foam material and then fibreglassed, came up a treat!
Old 08-25-2017, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I suspect an aluminium louver will disappear from the back veranda
deano59, guye, gjkrv8 and 1 others like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: