Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Jethrow

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2017, 12:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Reverse Light Ideas

Hi All
It's been a while since I've been on the forum as I sold my Cobra and didn't want to torture myself by staying in touch. As fate would have it, bought my old car back after 6 years and now have the challenge of bringing it back to the way she left here.
There are several things I want to change and one of those is the reversing light. The car has a modern slant rather than traditional and the light I have (sorry the forum won't upload a photo) is fairly old fashioned and is positioned below the back of the car level with the fuel tank.
I'm looking for suggestions on what others have used and where I could source them from. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few Cobras with an oval shaped light that could be fixed externally where my current one is but I'm stuffed if I can find anything searching google. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Dean

Last edited by marksy40; 10-13-2017 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: reworded
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksy40 View Post
Hi All
It's been a while since I've been on the forum as I sold my Cobra and didn't want to torture myself by staying in touch. As fate would have it, bought my old car back after 6 years and now have the challenge of bringing it back to the way she left here.
There are several things I want to change and one of those is the reversing light. The car has a modern slant rather than traditional and the light I have (sorry the forum won't upload a photo) is fairly old fashioned and is positioned below the back of the car level with the fuel tank.
I'm looking for suggestions on what others have used and where I could source them from. I'm pretty sure I've seen a few Cobras with an oval shaped light that could be fixed externally where my current one is but I'm stuffed if I can find anything searching google. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Dean
I had a pair of small chrome driving lights (like these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Optronics...t-Kit/16680058 ) that took MR16 halogen lamps. I pulled the MR16 halogens and installed a LED / reflector assembly from a cheap flashlight in each unit. These weren't designed to be powered by 12 volts, so I took a standard USB charger that plugs into an accessory outlet, pulled it out of its case and soldered leads to it. 12 volts in, 5 volts out. I installed the modded charger inside a pill bottle, sealed it up and tucked it away.

These have worked like a charm, but reasonably priced LED MR16 bulbs are now available so I'd go that route if I had to do it over again.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

Old 10-13-2017, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Can't recall whose car it is but as a modern slant, they'd cut horizontal slots into the rear skirt and fitted the matching, XF? falcon perhaps, reverse lens into the slots with a light behind.

Someone else will recall this I'm sure and chime in but this gave a great clean look.

I'm running old VW lenses for the old style look but also retrofitted LED globes so the lights are very bright in use, when I can keep them both running though, wiring gremlin for now!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

Don't fit one!
I changed out my rear indicators for double filament bulbs, so now when I go reverse I get both rear indicators coming on. (Obviously wiring made to suit). The ICV rules state the reversing lights can be white or amber, so I went with amber.
It's so modern its not even there
Tonus72 and Jaydee like this.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Can't recall whose car it is but as a modern slant, they'd cut horizontal slots into the rear skirt and fitted the matching, XF? falcon perhaps, reverse lens into the slots with a light behind.

Someone else will recall this I'm sure and chime in but this gave a great clean look.
I did this - not the first and cannot remember where I saw it originally. The idea was to hide them in the stripes like this ...

Geof
Old 10-16-2017, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

That's the one I recall thanks Geof.

How did you mount the whole light assembly behind the lenses?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

I placed LED lights inside the original indicators then swapped out the clear globes for orange. Then replaced the Orange lenses for the white E marked lenses.
That way when you indicate it's orange and when reversing the lights are white.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
That's the one I recall thanks Geof.

How did you mount the whole light assembly behind the lenses?
There is a void in the Harrison between the fuel tank and the rear where the lenses push through.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Late model mini reversing lights, well they were late model when I built it 15 years ago.... they fit into the void that is there in a DRB and a Harrison... not sure on the others.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2017, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     
Default Lucas

Old style Lucas off a MG I think!

Cheers