Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By patrickt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2018, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ICCARS,6.0LT L98 TR6060
Not Ranked     
Default Build time

To the guys that built there cars from kit form, who's kit manufacture and what was your build time?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Supposedly, you can put together an ERA in around one to two weeks. http://www.erareplicas.com/427/con1.htm
Old 02-17-2018, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Supposedly, you can put together an ERA in around one to two weeks. Construction/Disassembly
Doug at ERA probably could, but not a first time builder.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:53 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBit View Post
Doug at ERA probably could, but not a first time builder.
Ehhhhh, I don't even think Doug could do that anymore -- we're all getting older, after all. On their web site they have a video somewhere of a stunt build that they did at one of the big conventions, maybe about twenty years ago, and they put one together in a little more than an afternoon. Personally, it takes me all weekend just to do an oil change and valve adjustment.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Tricky question. Depends what stage kit you get. I got a Classic Revival in "Rolling Chassis" Stage - Body on Chassis, Suspension, Brakes and Steering done.

Got it in Sept and had it in Engineering late Dec - 3 months of late nights and a few weekends. (then took 12 months to finish it off with Paint and Interior etc)

I reckon the "rolling Chassis" stage is about half distance effort-wise.

All depends on the kit you get and how comprehensive it is, e.g. how many parts you have to scrounge/buy etc.

I believe the Paces have been built in 3-4 months of solid work. Just depend on how much spare time you have. Also how much cash to buy things as you go too. cheers Gregg
Old 02-18-2018, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

A friend and I got Factory Five kits at the same time. He was retired and had his registered within about 18 months.

I am not retired so tended to mostly just work on my car on Sundays. Took me 4 years to get rego.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Harrison's kit. 752 hours. Over the course of about 20 months.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

a roller can be completed in about six months if you work on it a little every day and a lot on the weekends. PLUS paint, a couple of months to 8 years.

First time builder, I would guess 2 years.

And then there is the anal factor. Rough and ready, anything will work, 1/4" bolt in 1/2" hole kind of guy. He always fast. 2 -3 months?

The guy who wants everything perfect, very slow, just ordering the correct parts takes a lot time. A couple of years. Or he gives up and sells.

I have a buddy who has built several over the years. First FFR was done in 5 months. He had a full time day job but worked on the car till one in the morning, every spare minute he had. Even if it was just 15 minutes.
The last one was a roller. I think it took 4 or 5 months but he was retired and had a lot of time and experience and tools.

Experience is a big time saver. The biggest factor is the personality of the builder.

I'm a slow, do it several times till I get it correct kind of guy. When I see a kit car build in a month or two, I'm thinking a lot of stuff needs to be redone.

I bought a GT 40 built in 6 months. HUNDREDS of problems. After two years of band-aids I torn the car down to the frame and started over. When I received the car it was unsafe on the road. And the potential for break downs was certain.

I have seen and worked on a lot of kit car, muscle cars, hot rods that were unsafe because of the guys who build or worked on them.

Bottom line, take your time and do it correctly. Your life may depend on it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: