Absolute Pace

Welcome to Club Cobra.

You are currently viewing the world's largest resource for Shelby related information as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!


Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

  •  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
October 2018
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31      

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 08-13-2018, 02:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Posts: 392
Not Ranked     
Default

Hang on, are you saying you've got a single 1" cylinder that you then use for all of your brakes at the same time?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:00 AM
PSYCHO's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Posts: 176
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Hang on, are you saying you've got a single 1" cylinder that you then use for all of your brakes at the same time?
Ok just picked up the car from the brake place and this is what they found the reseeded MC was still bypassing on the seals and one of the rear callipers had a small burr on the piston so that was bypassing and the clearance adjuster for preload on the booster was out by 4mm so in the end and $250 smackers it's a goer yay thanks to all of you great people for you advice and recommendations and Treeve look on page 2 of my gallery and there is a pic of the booster and MC once you se it you will go ahhhhh cheers everybody now just one more step and that's to silence the side pipes a bit more 6 more decibels to go
Regards and thanks to all Rob
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 08-15-2018, 03:37 AM
PSYCHO's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Posts: 176
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
Do they supply a dual master cylinder set up with balance bar?
That's correct but both were 1" but ended up using one of them as a clutch set up instead.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 08-17-2018, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Posts: 39
Not Ranked     
Default

Hi Psycho, Great to here you have the brakes sorted. Not a bad price either.
With your mufflers. If they are the hot dog style. If you look inside the tube. Some have a raised section at one end of each hole in the perforated tube.
If the raised sections face towards the engine. The flow is a slightly restricted but the noise level is reduced. Some people install them for maximum flow and some for maximum noise reduction. May pay to have a look at yours. It may be the difference you need to meet noise level.
Bender
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2018, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Posts: 392
Not Ranked     
Default

Hey mate,
I’m not on this forum often and I can’t find your build diary. Can you post a link?
Cheers,
Treeve
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2018, 02:12 PM
EM-0785's Avatar
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bellevue, WA
Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 460, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Posts: 89
Not Ranked     
Default

Per PSYCHO
'Treeve look on page 2 of my gallery and there is a pic of the booster and MC once you se it you will go ahhhhh'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Hey mate,
I’m not on this forum often and I can’t find your build diary. Can you post a link?
Cheers,
Treeve
Treeve,

If PSYCHO is referring to his photo gallery, vs say a build log, as I believe he is, you should be able to access it by clicking on the camera under his username, then go to page 2.

Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 08-18-2018 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Tense
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 08-18-2018, 04:26 PM
EM-0785's Avatar
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Bellevue, WA
Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 460, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Posts: 89
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM-0785 View Post
Per PSYCHO
'Treeve look on page 2 of my gallery and there is a pic of the booster and MC once you se it you will go ahhhhh'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Hey mate,
I’m not on this forum often and I can’t find your build diary. Can you post a link?
Cheers,
Treeve


Treeve,

If PSYCHO is referring to his photo gallery, vs say a build log, as I believe he is, you should be able to access it by clicking on the camera under his username, then go to page 2.

Brent

Treeve,

In addition to his gallery I mentioned above, I believe he actually may have been referring to his Album entitled 'Slowly', accessed by clicking on his username in any post, then clicking to open the 'Slowly' album and going to page 2. Also, the steps I refer to are when I'm not logged in, as I'm generally not, once logged in it can present slightly different options, but you get the point.

Brent

Last edited by EM-0785; 08-18-2018 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Wording
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 AM
PSYCHO's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Posts: 176
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Hi Psycho, Great to here you have the brakes sorted. Not a bad price either.
With your mufflers. If they are the hot dog style. If you look inside the tube. Some have a raised section at one end of each hole in the perforated tube.
If the raised sections face towards the engine. The flow is a slightly restricted but the noise level is reduced. Some people install them for maximum flow and some for maximum noise reduction. May pay to have a look at yours. It may be the difference you need to meet noise level.
Bender
Thanks Bender I'm so relieved now, yes the perforations are facing backwards for flow and I have already managed to get them down from 130db at 3000rpm to 96/97db with some augers inserts and packing I just got to insert a little more and hopefully not kill the motor too much it's already running like a hairy dog now so a little manipulation will be in order lol

Regards Rob
Bender likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2018, 01:08 AM
PSYCHO's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Posts: 176
Not Ranked     
Default

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Hey mate,
I’m not on this forum often and I can’t find your build diary. Can you post a link?
Cheers,
Treeve
This is it Treeve
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2018, 02:15 AM
Gaz64's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 1,834
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO View Post
Thanks Bender I'm so relieved now, yes the perforations are facing backwards for flow and I have already managed to get them down from 130db at 3000rpm to 96/97db with some augers inserts and packing I just got to insert a little more and hopefully not kill the motor too much it's already running like a hairy dog now so a little manipulation will be in order lol

Regards Rob
130dB @ 3000 rpm?

How loud at 5000 plus and WOT?

Are you running open pipes?

Was the sound meter used correctly in the this measurement?
__________________
Regards

Gary
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 08-19-2018, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Posts: 39
Not Ranked     
Default

Hi Psycho. Wow!!!! 130db is loud for a unloaded engine. I would check the meter or area it is being tested. It should be in an open area with car on a flat surface. In my rally years. My 2l escort with all the fruit, 2 1/2" exhaust and about 10" long large straight through muffler would be under 96 at 4000 rpm. Supercars are under 96db under load with meter in the middle of the track. So 130db is loud. I checked your photos. Nice build mate. In one of the photos you have a tube with aunger plates welded to it and some steel wool wrapped around it. Is that your muffler mate? I may be totally off the mark but if you are trying to copy the Gonzo mufflers. They were a bit different to that. On the gonzos the aunger was a full spiral with the tube welded in the middle. That was then mounted in the muffler with no steel wool. Theory being the exhaust travelling around the spiral would have a different speed to the exhaust coming through the centre tube. Canceling out the noise vibration. Unfortuately the noise always sounded flat and the centre would rattle. SBR and Triple 8 ran that style for a while. The cars always sounded terrible but under the limit. I have built steel wool filled mufflers before and recently chatted to an exhaust guy in Qld. He was saying use rock wall or dry wall. One of the 2. Lol. He said it is not as tinny as the steel wool muffler. If you are interested I can check again to see what he is using. Hope this info helps with your build. Sounds like you are close to rego. Bender

Last edited by Bender; 08-19-2018 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2018, 01:24 AM
PSYCHO's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Posts: 176
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Hi Psycho. Wow!!!! 130db is loud for a unloaded engine. I would check the meter or area it is being tested. It should be in an open area with car on a flat surface. In my rally years. My 2l escort with all the fruit, 2 1/2" exhaust and about 10" long large straight through muffler would be under 96 at 4000 rpm. Supercars are under 96db under load with meter in the middle of the track. So 130db is loud. I checked your photos. Nice build mate. In one of the photos you have a tube with aunger plates welded to it and some steel wool wrapped around it. Is that your muffler mate? I may be totally off the mark but if you are trying to copy the Gonzo mufflers. They were a bit different to that. On the gonzos the aunger was a full spiral with the tube welded in the middle. That was then mounted in the muffler with no steel wool. Theory being the exhaust travelling around the spiral would have a different speed to the exhaust coming through the centre tube. Canceling out the noise vibration. Unfortuately the noise always sounded flat and the centre would rattle. SBR and Triple 8 ran that style for a while. The cars always sounded terrible but under the limit. I have built steel wool filled mufflers before and recently chatted to an exhaust guy in Qld. He was saying use rock wall or dry wall. One of the 2. Lol. He said it is not as tinny as the steel wool muffler. If you are interested I can check again to see what he is using. Hope this info helps with your build. Sounds like you are close to rego. Bender
G'day Bender
Yes the left pipe was 129.5 and the right 130 at 6ft ground level on the road out the front of the house, the factory five pipes doesn't have much of a baffle at all just a perforated barrel with bugger all glass wrap very loud and raspy just a big hotdog. I made up some steel spacers between the gaskets and with some 13mm holes drilled out and used the augers with the wool as you saw in the pictures. Because I can't split my pipes without taking to it with a saw I have welded in some Flexi tube so I can insert them around the bend in the opening, the wool has reduced the flow and sound very well and has also cushioned the rattles internally. To secure the augers in I welded two nuts on the tube and wound bolts in so when in place I use a 14m spanner and just wind them out until I can't wind no more this locks them into the pipe very well and I have tested them out driving for 300km under different acceleration. As for Rego I will be visiting my engineer tomorrow for his final so hopefully all goes well. This mod for the exhaust is just for Rego I will be removing the plates after and I will only be sitting at 95db for a end result. I will try and upload a video of the car without the mods and you will hear how loud she was I might have to edit some of it as the swearing from the bystanders may offend others heheheheheheheh.
Cheers Psycho
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 08-21-2018, 01:33 AM
PSYCHO's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Posts: 176
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
130dB @ 3000 rpm?

How loud at 5000 plus and WOT?

Are you running open pipes?

Was the sound meter used correctly in the this measurement?
Hey Gaz how's things mate,

Funny thing with the meter was I used 2 different ones over a couple of days yes they are open pipes and after 3500 they seem to reduce DBs by about 10 a bit weird but could be the sweet spot for the quad cams at 6500 it wasn't much louder only by 7 dbs unless you stabbed it then she was insanely loud lol

Cheers Psycho
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 08-22-2018, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Posts: 392
Not Ranked     
Default

Decibels are a logarithmic scale with each 3dB representing a doubling of the noise. So 7 dB isn’t a small increase, it means it’s a little over 4 times louder.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2018, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Cobra Make, Engine: G Force Cobra 347 stroker
Posts: 39
Not Ranked     
Default

Hi Psycho. Sounds like you are only days away from Rego. That's awesome mate. You will have a huge grin on your face. Sounds like the you have the exhaust sorted. Enjoy driving it.
Bender
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Gaz64's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Cobra Make, Engine:
Posts: 1,834
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHO View Post
Hey Gaz how's things mate,

Funny thing with the meter was I used 2 different ones over a couple of days yes they are open pipes and after 3500 they seem to reduce DBs by about 10 a bit weird but could be the sweet spot for the quad cams at 6500 it wasn't much louder only by 7 dbs unless you stabbed it then she was insanely loud lol

Cheers Psycho
You used the meter.

Have you done this before, do you know the procedure, as used by the Police, Transport Dept etc?

As Treeve has said below, each 3 dB increase represents a noise twice as loud, as perceived by the human ear.

You can see here, you compare to a jet fighter:

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.co...e-examples.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Decibels are a logarithmic scale with each 3dB representing a doubling of the noise. So 7 dB isn’t a small increase, it means it’s a little over 4 times louder.
I'm glad somebody else knows this.
Jaydee likes this.
__________________
Regards

Gary

Last edited by Gaz64; 08-23-2018 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2018, 05:34 PM
PSYCHO's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Posts: 176
Not Ranked     
Default Engineers Tick

Great news today the engineer has been over the car with a fine tooth comb and gave me a pass, I have met the sound Db test and the brake test with flying colours soooooo happy👍👍
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2018, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange, NSW
Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Posts: 392
Not Ranked     
Default

Nice one!
Great colour too.
PSYCHO likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2018, 04:20 AM
PSYCHO's Avatar
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Perth, W.A
Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, GT FPV 5.4L 290kw Boss
Posts: 176
Not Ranked     
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Nice one!
Great colour too.
Thanks mate 👍
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2018, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: melbourne, vic
Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Posts: 252
Not Ranked     
Default

Well done 👍
What is the colour code?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: CC Policy