Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By EM-0785
  • 1 Post By deano59
  • 1 Post By stephen low
  • 2 Post By ERA 626
  • 1 Post By stephen low

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Garage air compressors

G'day Guys

Looking to replace my ailing air compressor and not sure which are the reputable brands.

I'm after 240V 10 or 15amp either as a portable or a fixed that I'd add casters onto anyway.

Unsure of the real CFM needed but do irregular 2 pack paint spaying as the highest constant use, followed by die grinder use and then just general air blow outs of the garage.

After a well made unit not an el-cheapo Chinese or other offering.

What do you guys use and suggest?

Cheers

Steve
Old 03-23-2020, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Pilot has been reliable. Have got a small portable and large 3 phase. Pressure switch has been the only let down on both.
Andrew
Old 03-23-2020, 06:32 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison 514, Toploader 4 sp, Jag IRS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
G'day Guys

Looking to replace my ailing air compressor and not sure which are the reputable brands.

I'm after 240V 10 or 15amp either as a portable or a fixed that I'd add casters onto anyway.

Unsure of the real CFM needed but do irregular 2 pack paint spaying as the highest constant use, followed by die grinder use and then just general air blow outs of the garage.

After a well made unit not an el-cheapo Chinese or other offering.

What do you guys use and suggest?

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,

Here's a link to a recent 10 page post on garage air compressors that I was following on another site. Don't know if it's specific to your intended size/application needs, but likely some useful info/perspecive anyway.

Looking at Air Compressor for my garage

Best of luck to you!

Brent
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B 289
Not Ranked     
Default Air compressors

Not sure if you have them down there, but I swear by Quincy 216's. I have been running one at the shop for 20 years with very little maintenance. Liked it so much, I bought another as a backup. The best thing I like about these is that the lubrication is not just splash like the majority of compressors. Rather, these have an actual oil pump and pressure lube. In addition, the unloader works off of oil pressure, so if the level falls a bit, it won't pump, letting you know that it's time to top up. Both of mine are currently for sale as I have closed the shop and am liquidating, but I am sure it would not pay to ship them that far.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i bought a single phase 18cfm with a Italian made triple cylinder on it all i can say i use it heaps sprayed plenty of cars and trailers with it . it.s a hell of a lot quieter than my 12 cfm ingersol rand bought it from paramount brands has casters at the rear and a handle at the front had it 5 yrs and has not missed a beat keeps up with my die grinder and sand blaster . i think i paid about 1200 for it .
Jaydee likes this.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance ford v8
Not Ranked     

I have had this harbor freight 60 gal compressor going on 15 years and still going strong..
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2020, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks all for the suggestions including the US brethren, though your model options generally aren't available here.

Definitely not after an upright model.

Deano had one sales type talk highly of an Italian branded three cylinder pump that was on a locally made Jag product. Was a touch pricier than I fancied but for that I might get longevity.

Brands that had come to mind were Broadbent, Peerless, Atlas Copco and Royce. Anyone had experience with any of these brands either as a don't buy or can recommend?
deano59 likes this.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

so many people here like to direct us to a previous thread form 2002... etc... why? just answer the guys question man! ingersol rand is the top of the line... that is the compressor for you... if you own a top shelf cobra than budget is not an issue... Chances are you will only buy one compressor in your lifetime, so get the Ingersol Rand. I would.
eschaider and Jaydee like this.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks like I've discovered a large Peerless compressor that's s/hand but less than four years old and at a really good price for the model.

A P17 fatboy model with 3.5 HP 15 amp motor, 110L tank and 340 l/min FAD, so a good compressor for the garage and the uses I need.

Peerless have a good name too so am comfortable with this option.

Thanks for the pointers and help anyway.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Here's a nice IR that uses a screw compressor for a welcome silence in operation compared to the typical piston style compressors. It uses a 10HP electric motor and and 80 gallon tank to provide 150 psi;

It needs a 230 Volt 3 phase power supply.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Looks like I've discovered a large Peerless compressor that's s/hand but less than four years old and at a really good price for the model.

A P17 fatboy model with 3.5 HP 15 amp motor, 110L tank and 340 l/min FAD, so a good compressor for the garage and the uses I need.

Peerless have a good name too so am comfortable with this option.

Thanks for the pointers and help anyway.
thats pretty much the same specs as mine tank size a fad
Old 03-28-2020, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Here's a nice IR that uses a screw compressor ....

Screw compressor also works well as an engine supercharger !!!
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 03-28-2020 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: dementia
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Screw compressor also works well as an engine supercharger !!!

You're right! Guess how I know ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Compressor bought

Thought I better finish this thread off properly with a photo of the compressor I've bought.

A 4yo second hand Peerless Fat Boy model, 110 litre receiving tank, 320 L/m @ 100psi, 3.5HP 15 amp motor driven.

It was only powering air ratchets in a small trailer manufacturing business that is closing down, so I suspect not huge usage rates.

Have already added castors so that I can move the beast if needed, as it's 125kg, but now it's a breeze to shift. Probably only need movement for periodic garage cleaning but who knows.

Am now researching a good filter system I'll mount to the garage wall so that the output air is cleaned sufficiently to support good supply for spray painting as my most critical albeit infrequent major use.

Have been using my die grinder whilst boat building and note it takes some time to deplete the air supply and restart the compressor. So I'm not working the thing to death, unlike the last el cheapo compressor I had started with from Total Tools. Mind you that compressor had lasted me numerous years so I go my moneys worth from it.

Will be a very cheap sale on Ebay shortly for that one!

Thanks all for the comments.

Ciao

Steve
boxhead likes this.