Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
So, you have never driven, built or even owned one of these cars at this point.
Interesting!
You will either build a cracking car (good luck with registration) or fade away when it gets too hard to keep up with your own expectations.
Let’s see how that goes..

Workin on it. Still in the novice education stage going through the well worn path of dreaming, discovery, confusion, depression and then reality, followed finally by aceptance. I'm sort of between discovery and confusion at the moment with a hint of reality setting in.

I'm sure you veterans must just sigh when you read of yet another bloke like me taping into the forum full of high hopes and idea's and annoying the hell out of you all with a multitude of the 'usual questions'.

For what its worth I appreciate all your patience. I've connected with some great people and learnt a hell of a lot since joining this forum. You may well see me one day as a fellow car owner.

But for now I'll just keep annoying you as another novice on the forum
Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Nope!! Lid up, and at the All Ford Day as well. Git that up ya!!

Now that I look forward to seeing
Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

Well, when it all gets too hard I can give you advice on building your very own replica Robnell.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAddict View Post
Now that I look forward to seeing
You’re too late to that party. Already did it!
Gav likes this.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, when it all gets too hard I can give you advice on building your very own replica Robnell.
I do plan to visit Robnell, since it is in my neck of the woods, once this COVID stuff has run its course.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Some advice, maybe? ....if you're soon to be buying and registering a Cobra replica here in Australia, and possibly looking for advice in achieving that end, it's probably not a good idea to be annoying a significant number of that very group who can give you that valuable advice. Remember, probably more than half of the Cobra replicas here in Australia are Chev powered for reasons that may not be obvious to you.

Cheers,
Glen
Glen couldnt agree more. Ive already highlighted this on page 4.
xb-60 likes this.

Last edited by spookypt; 05-21-2020 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Broke the CoC rules
Old 05-22-2020, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Pretty disrespectful some of your comments in this thread.

Let me give you some tips on the Cobra world in Australia.

Some like to build an authentic replica
Some like to build a modern version of a classic
Some enjoy cruising a cool car
Some enjoy a grumpy fast car
Some just enjoy engineering a cool car
Some want to build something themselves
Some want to buy a car and enjoy it
Some like show cars
Some want to race a car
Some want to go to car shows and enjoy other enthusiasts
Some love the social aspect of catching up with likeminded enthusiasts

We all respect each other even if we love Cobras for different reasons. The cars are cool but the friendships are even better.

I tried to give you some advice and I don't think you gave it any thought - in my opinion you just want a trophy in your garage which is fine but have some respect for others.

Good luck in your search

Ben
jmarsey, deano59, Gav and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Beejay; 05-22-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Old 05-22-2020, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Indeed Ben I do appreciate your advice and certainly it is an option I am keeping open. Your comments above make perfect sense.
I'm a newbie in this world and still learning the lay of the land. Certainly don’t want to upset anyone here so apologies to all who may have had their noses put out of joint with my 'newbie comments'.

I certainly don’t want a trophy car and if I do end up with one you will see me on the road and enjoying the various fun runs with the rest of you. Then all can have a piece of me when we meet if they wish
Old 05-26-2020, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

. Then all can have a piece of me when we meet if they wish

i hear that line is getting longer with every post you make you just need to settle down a bit i was like you i wanted what i wanted i flew to 3 states looking at cars and come to realisation i would either have to settle for something less than i wanted or bite the bullet and build my own so after another trip this time to qld and stopped in at the pace factory.

i was blown away by the engineering side of there cars i had raced speedway for 30 yr sand thought i had seen it all out there with people thinking outside the box with suspension and chassis design .
my build has taken a lot longer than i planed but illness set me back a fair bit so now i just do what i can when i can and so be it when its done.

oh yeah mine has a 6 litre ls and auto six speed the purist will love that one i kinda look at it this way shellby wanted the chev over the ford that is clearly documented but gm did not want the cobra taking the glory off the corvette look how that turned out for gm in the end lol .

and in his own car he ran a auto in his super charged car. so i fig im giving him the chev heart and using a auto trans he clearly liked so if it was good enough for him thats good enough for me
maybe my car is closer to what he really wanted but couldn't have . i hope the great man is smiling from above seeing cars build 50 yrs since they were created god bless him
cheers deano bring back the biff 59 lol
Gav, Tengu, Jaydee and 1 others like this.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX3021 Keith Craft 428fe
Not Ranked     

Hey CobraAdict, great choice in what you're looking for. I Also went for the purist view and imported a Guardsman Blue Contemporary Cobra in 2012. Its on full NSW rego and runs a Kieth Craft built 428Fe, top loader, magnesium wheels.. You can check photos in my profile. Or more recent photos/ videos on my facebook page under Mike Tattoli. Happy to chat. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
.....shellby wanted the chev over the ford that is clearly documented.....and in his own car he ran a auto in his super charged car. so i fig im giving him the chev heart and using a auto trans he clearly liked so if it was good enough for him thats good enough for me.....maybe my car is closer to what he really wanted but couldn't have....
Deano, you been on the turps again? (Show me the documentation )

Cheers!
Glen
Old 05-27-2020, 04:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Deano, you been on the turps again? (Show me the documentation )

Cheers!
Glen
non drinker just coffee but have a read ......https://www.nbc-2.com/story/11723174...e-shelby-cobra

hows ya car coming along ? the other dean in qld his car passed engineering today ..
cheerss deano
bjn1960 likes this.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Dean, you've got to come up with a better source than NBC....who got it from "Driving Today"

Mine? Coming along slowly, but at least there's more to see now.

Cheers!
Glen
Old 05-28-2020, 08:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ah your just pulling my leg glen you know it's true there is usually a paragraph or so in almost any book on the story of the cobra..glad to hear that yours is progressing well done

cheers dean
Old 05-29-2020, 12:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Hello Andrew and welcome to the fold

I am enjoying reading about your re/search.

Cars that closely mimic the originals are high on my list of favorites too.

Because Cobras are so small/simple one or two deviations from that original layout becomes quite magnified.

Understanding of Club Permits and the freeing up of usage is now much greater than it was only a few years ago.
This and the perception (which may be reality) that 'CPS only' cars are worth less has lead most builders to pursue the ICV route.

This means that the look of many Cobras has necessarily evolved when complying with ICV rules (I'm sure you get this).

I think for a lot of builders once they've made it through the crucible of compliance re-fitting the car with another round of expensive bits (which are technically non-compliant) can wait.

Also general knowledge of the availability of things like retrofitting knock off wheels - and the willingness to swallow the expense of importing them to lift the look is relatively recent.

Anyway, I am seeing this done with a number of locally created cars and the results look great. So, if I were in your shoes I would not discount to local product too readily. I have seen a number of the Kirkhams and feel that the look of some locally produced examples is quite comparable when care is taken.

That said - if you want a complete car quickly the Superformance is an excellent choice and LJ's mods to chassis are clearly effective.

Onto your engine.

You say you want a 427 big block. The 427 'side oiler' of legend is an increasingly rare item. In the last 5 years during club runs to various places of interest I've seen 2 Merlin engines sitting unused and only one 427 FE (a cammer)

Unless you're very lucky you'll face the conundrum of compromise. Do some research on FE's. Stroker kits are available and I think the most direct path to a period correct (looking) engine will be getting a 390 and rebuilding that.

There are good choices and many builders in the states have customers in Oz.

Check out the FE Talk section of this forum.

Two other things to consider:
The nationals will be on later this year, a great opportunity to see a lot of cars and make comparisons / see what appeals to you.

Frequently there are a number of cars there for sale.

The Vic club has a great depth of knowledge and many folks will be willing to help you achieve your goals.

Some things to look at

Compare car profiles

similar with AU kits: https://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/e...2012%20old.doc

Good Luck

LoBelly
spookypt and xb-60 like this.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Hey CobraAdict, great choice in what you're looking for. I Also went for the purist view and imported a Guardsman Blue Contemporary Cobra in 2012. Its on full NSW rego and runs a Kieth Craft built 428Fe, top loader, magnesium wheels.. You can check photos in my profile. Or more recent photos/ videos on my facebook page under Mike Tattoli. Happy to chat. Good luck.
G'Day Mike

Wow what a lovley car. A Contemorary as well which is a great brand for repoduction Cobra's. How on earth did you get a 427 Fe and Magnesium wheels no less on full rego. Are the side pipes connected? Looks like what I want is out there.
Just a matter of putting out the feelers once I am at a point of throwing the $$ at it.

There are so many options and there more people I see like yourself the more confident I feel now that I will get what I am looking for at the end of the day and for a reasonable outlay.

Lovely Car. And that is a true 'Guardsman Blue' right ??
Old 06-01-2020, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoBelly View Post
Hello Andrew and welcome to the fold

I am enjoying reading about your re/search.

Cars that closely mimic the originals are high on my list of favorites too.

Because Cobras are so small/simple one or two deviations from that original layout becomes quite magnified.

Understanding of Club Permits and the freeing up of usage is now much greater than it was only a few years ago.
This and the perception (which may be reality) that 'CPS only' cars are worth less has lead most builders to pursue the ICV route.

This means that the look of many Cobras has necessarily evolved when complying with ICV rules (I'm sure you get this).

I think for a lot of builders once they've made it through the crucible of compliance re-fitting the car with another round of expensive bits (which are technically non-compliant) can wait.

Also general knowledge of the availability of things like retrofitting knock off wheels - and the willingness to swallow the expense of importing them to lift the look is relatively recent.

Anyway, I am seeing this done with a number of locally created cars and the results look great. So, if I were in your shoes I would not discount to local product too readily. I have seen a number of the Kirkhams and feel that the look of some locally produced examples is quite comparable when care is taken.

That said - if you want a complete car quickly the Superformance is an excellent choice and LJ's mods to chassis are clearly effective.

Onto your engine.

You say you want a 427 big block. The 427 'side oiler' of legend is an increasingly rare item. In the last 5 years during club runs to various places of interest I've seen 2 Merlin engines sitting unused and only one 427 FE (a cammer)

Unless you're very lucky you'll face the conundrum of compromise. Do some research on FE's. Stroker kits are available and I think the most direct path to a period correct (looking) engine will be getting a 390 and rebuilding that.

There are good choices and many builders in the states have customers in Oz.

Check out the FE Talk section of this forum.

Two other things to consider:
The nationals will be on later this year, a great opportunity to see a lot of cars and make comparisons / see what appeals to you.

Frequently there are a number of cars there for sale.

The Vic club has a great depth of knowledge and many folks will be willing to help you achieve your goals.

Some things to look at

Compare car profiles

similar with AU kits: https://www.cobracarclubnsw.org.au/e...2012%20old.doc

Good Luck

LoBelly
G'Day LoBelly

Thanks so much for some great advise. I look forward to these Nationals you mention and a chance to see a wide variety of Cobra's all in the one place. Lets hope this COVID drama PLAYS ITSELF OUT BY THEN.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX3021 Keith Craft 428fe
Not Ranked     

Thanks CobraAddict. Yes the side pipes are genuine working pipes and yes, the colour is guardsman blue with wimbleton white stripes. I purchased late 2011, landed in oz at the start of 2012. At the time the Aussie dollar was higher than USD, so I scored a real bargain.
I took it to the local engineer for a blue slip and he passed it first go. It had been registered as a 1966 cobra in Massachusetts, but I wasn't able to translate that to NSW rego.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Thanks CobraAddict. Yes the side pipes are genuine working pipes and yes, the colour is guardsman blue with wimbleton white stripes. I purchased late 2011, landed in oz at the start of 2012. At the time the Aussie dollar was higher than USD, so I scored a real bargain.
I took it to the local engineer for a blue slip and he passed it first go. It had been registered as a 1966 cobra in Massachusetts, but I wasn't able to translate that to NSW rego.

Very lucky indeed. I dont think you could do that now as they have tightened up the rego laws considerably for full rego cars!
Tengu likes this.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Sounds like it was imported as a 1966 car. Be careful what you put in public if that’s the case. Government employees do read these forums.