Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2023, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Is screen glass getting harder to source?

Folks

Took a big rock into my screen a while ago but recently facilitated the process for a free replacement through my Shannons insurance.

Shannons uses O'Briens Glass but think they are having trouble with the replacement.

I am hearing that the availability of screens has become limited to perhaps one style.

Not sure what the frame type is that was supplied to the original purchaser of my GF kit but have presumed it was the "English" variant.

Has anyone else heard or struck issues recently, in terms of sourcing replacement windscreens?

Steve
Old 09-22-2023, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Steve,

I am unfamiliar with glass sources in Australia so I can't provide any worthwhile commentary about that. However, if you can't find any sources down under there is always Cobra Valley in the States.

I think sourcing locally (assuming availability) would be better price-wise. Ordering Stateside has shipping, duty along with whatever level of financial abuse your tax authority has determined is appropriate for a purchase like this.

Here is a link to the Cobra Valley Replacement Windscreen page, that might be helpful. Click here => Cobra Valley's PolyGlass Hi-Performance Optically Formed Windshields

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

When I needed glass for my CSX SAI sent me to Gesford Machine (SAI's source). They import (or at least they did at the time) the original glass from England. If you don't want to go through a US location maybe they could put you in contact with the English company that makes them, maybe they have an AU distributor.

Edit: It is not Gesford. See later reply.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-22-2023 at 05:15 PM..
Old 09-22-2023, 04:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Steve,

Not to beat a dead horse but here are two more. Again, sadly out of Australia so shipping, duty etc.

#1 => Brass Craft in the UK click for website =>Brasscraft Cobra Windscreens
#2 => Shell Valley in Nebraska USA click for website => Shell Valley

Both offer laminated glass windscreens with full frames.

Don't forget Tony's suggestion about Gessford Machine. As the Shelby source that has got to be worth some points!

Old 09-22-2023, 04:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Just in case anyone is curious, the windshield glass in my ERA bears the label “VELAS Laminated 43R-00003 [E17] AS-1 M6 DOT 73.” It is an OEM Cobra windshield frame made in England – but the glass is manufactured in Finland by the company V.E. Lipponen Oy.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, so late this afternoon I realized I had salted away all my old Cobra emails in another Outlook database that is not automatically searched. I was able to find the thread when I got my glass. This was all in 2009 and my memory is not what it used to be.

The glass DID NOT COME FROM GESFORD! (Although they said they could get it, but I'm guessing they would have gotten it from their neighbor Read on...)

The reference came from the lead guy at HST that built the car and confirmed by Gary Patterson (who at the time was only a VP ).

The company is International Wholesale in Platte Center, NE. I did all my contacts through them. Well it turns out that is the same address location of Shell Valley.

The part number I bought was P/N IW9003W.

So to reiterate, if you contact Shell Valley/International Wholesale you may be able to discover a local source for the English glass.

In the same email threads, Hillbank (Superformance) also said they could get glass but that was later after I made contact with IW so I never pursued it.

And now that you mention it, I think there might have been a vague memory cell about Finland, so those are probably the OEMs.

PS. The price for the glass in 2009 was 395+S/H=435. I'm betting it's a little more than that now It's a big box and as I recall came as freight not UPS/Fedex

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-22-2023 at 05:39 PM..
Old 09-22-2023, 05:54 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Jeez, just click here: https://www.lasilipponen.fi/ and use your Google translator to order glass that matches the bug decal in your windshield and they'll ship it to your door. It'll cost you less than a night at The Plaza -- Central Park.
Old 09-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Seriously. This is the exact page to get a quote to have it shipped to you.
https://www.lasilipponen.fi/tuulilasit/ My browser automatically translates the page for me, I don't read Finnish.
CompFi likes this.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This price has only slightly increased, Tony. Today, you can get it for only $995 before tax and shipping. The Cobra Valley windscreen, however, is a real glass automotive laminate windshield.

The Shell Valley guys might be a better pick if your car has a custom-shaped windscreen. Shell Valley says they will custom-make their Polyglass screen to fit your specs. The price works out about the same, however.

The base Polyglas windscreen is essentially $700. The custom shaping/fitting adds another $200, so within a margin of about 10%, all the windscreens seem to cost about the same.

Old 09-22-2023, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is the Cobra Valley windshield DOT approved? To many it's a don't care. But given Australia's regulations on just about everything else related to the Cobra I'd want to know if it has regulatory approval for use there.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:42 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Acton lists them in stock for the original sized cars, meaning Shell Valley, CSX, ERA, Contemporary, and Hi Tech. They do not fit SPF cars, and KMS is not mentioned one way or the other.

https://www.actoncustom.com/products...lacement-glass
Old 09-22-2023, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Many thanks for these inputs guys but tis just a case of our local providers getting onto the right providers. Don't think the silly B's had even taken my glass out of the frame first to measure.

But this is all free to me through my insurance anyway, so I just wait for them to get it right. They can always cut back the glass anyway to make it fit too.

Will see what transpires soon.

Cheers Steve
Old 09-23-2023, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe the guys in Finland bought Pilkington glas (UK). The have the most amazing range of windshields for classic cars.
eschaider and twobjshelbys like this.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bringing this issue back to the top!

But just looking for local Aussie provider options guys, as the freight for international transfer of glass is prohibitive.

So short story is that national windscreen provider O'Brien's Windscreens has finally thrown their hands in the air saying we can't replace my glass.

They sourced two screens from separate suppliers both these screens the same size but bigger than my current screen.

Attempts to cut down one of these screens resulted in damage and I think they are gun shy and don't want to attempt a second cutting.

I successfully used another provider in 2014 and 2016 and looking to return to them.

However still keen for Aussie input on any screen options there might be locally, particularly to suit the G-Force kit I am running.

Any Aussie's know of screen options?
Old 11-28-2023, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What does Pace use, Stephen?

Old 11-29-2023, 11:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good question Ed

Might be worth an ask despite being a totally different kit
Old 12-08-2023, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Many thanks for these inputs guys but tis just a case of our local providers getting onto the right providers. Don't think the silly B's had even taken my glass out of the frame first to measure.

But this is all free to me through my insurance anyway, so I just wait for them to get it right. They can always cut back the glass anyway to make it fit too.

Will see what transpires soon.

Cheers Steve
They shouldn't need to measure it - just get the codes off the glass. Those codes indicate the manufacturer and the windshield / windscreen model #, and can be cross-referenced to the manufacturers they get their glass from.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Stephen. The Bolwell Club has recently has a batch made. I believe it required a buck being manufactured in the first instance. The company was Glass4Classics in Qld.

They may have a mould for your car if it is a Oz kit?

Just a suggestion.
letsboogie351 and xb-60 like this.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Pete, but I've ended up at a place with an Ol-Skool tradie that started the job pre-Christmas and then ended up n hospital.

Hoping he's ok and will be back soon to finish the job.

But the Bolwell link will be followed up, as the WA CCC Preso has asked that I also let him know what transpire as the WA club members are in the same boat.

Perhaps there needs to be a national mould made??
Old 01-10-2024, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Pete, but I've ended up at a place with an Ol-Skool tradie that started the job pre-Christmas and then ended up n hospital.

Hoping he's ok and will be back soon to finish the job.

But the Bolwell link will be followed up, as the WA CCC Preso has asked that I also let him know what transpire as the WA club members are in the same boat.

Perhaps there needs to be a national mould made??