Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Treeve
  • 1 Post By spookypt

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2024, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra's imported in late 90's & early 2000's registered as 65 models

G'Day Guys

I believe there were a number of Cobra 427's from Superformance, Kirkham and I think Contemporary (maybe ERA as well not sure) that were imported into Australia in the late 90's and early 2000's and actually registered as 65 model cars on their compliance plates due to the relaxed import and engineering regulations of the day which as we all know have long since been dramatically tightened up.

They have a VIN number given to them and stamped on the chassis and are subsequently registered in the NEVDIS (National Exchange of Vehicle and Driver Information System) database as 1965 cars. As a result they only need to comply to equivalent 60's specifications and emissions controls. This means that they can quite legally run naturally aspirated engines, connected side pipes, no head rests etc etc on Australian roads.
Today you can you can no longer import a car like this nor build a car like this anymore as they must comply to the much stricter 2024 regulations (unless the car is a pre 1989 build).

Now I am told that if the have a VIN number allocated and stamped on their chassis and they are registered in the NEVDIS database that this is therefore 'set in stone' making these cars, I would imagine highly sought after, given they can be legally very authentic copies of the originals. More so than what is possible today.

Is this correct? I have heard of horror stories of one such Kirkham that was forced to get its engineering certificate 'redone' as it was argued that is was still not actually built in 65 EVEN though it was registered as a 65 as described above.

Has anyone had any experience with this and if your comments would be welcome.

Thanks !
Old 02-05-2024, 10:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

The correct answer is: they were never correctly imported if the date of manufacture isn’t correct. Details in NEVDIS can be changed. Quite easily. If anything, if you have one of these vehicles, it’s easier to prove it isn’t a 1960’s era car than anything else, and so registration authorities would be able to cancel the rego. That and it wouldn’t take much for the NSW VIIU unit to establish a more likely correct date of manufacture.
If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. If you have one of these cars, the simple answer is to get it sorted before it bites you and you permanently lose the ability to have it on the road.
letsboogie351 likes this.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the feedback. Being a US import I think it could be a very expensive exercise to get it re-certified under current regulations hence my query.

I am told even an Australian delivered Superformance MkIII chassis is different to an American Superformance MkII chassis and the chassis itself may not pass the current criteria and that would be a nightmare.

Its such a nice car however and very difficult to make a final decision. Do I take the risk!?
Old 02-19-2024, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 65s

When you go to get import approval to bring in a car you need to declare its date of manufacture. (yes Ive imported a car) So if you state "fraudulently" that its a 65 an dits not and you get rego on that basis I'd suggest eventually you will come a gutsa. Plenty of people have done it...time will eventually catch up with them tho. NOT worth the risk.
letsboogie351 likes this.