Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-12-2002, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Toyota Power For Cobras?

Hi,
This thread is for anyone who has an interest in the 1uz-fe toyota
v8 i will post more details on this engine at a later date

thanks

Last edited by michael_s; 04-12-2002 at 02:06 PM..
Old 04-12-2002, 02:06 PM
I'm a bonehead!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not up on Toyota motors; is that the little hemi V8? Or something newer?
Old 04-12-2002, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi,
this engine is in the lexus sc400 , soarer ,etc all alloy very light 175kg,quad cam,six bolt bottom end and very strong,im thinking
about using a supercharged one in a cobra?
they should be plentifull in the usa i can pick one up here in
australia for $1200au and thats from the usa.

michael
Old 04-12-2002, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Funny you should post this.

I happened to see one of the Lexus SUVs a couple weeks ago and thought, "Hmmm, would you be able to cobble together an All-Wheel Drive Cobra with THAT as a base?"

Somebodys 'gotta put an AWD together and, done right, it could be a killer.

No High-Boy Bog-Racers, please!make a
Old 04-12-2002, 02:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     
Default ...background info

Read about it here
Old 04-13-2002, 03:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Michael,
I may be off base here, and Scott will probably correct me, but wouldn't you be better off buying through one of the Jap importers to get a LOW MILAGE unit for similar money?

Bullet Sportscars make the MX5 mazdas with the rotaries or Lexus V8s. The market showed a distinct lack of interest for a rotary powered "Bullet roadster", but the V8s have taken off. AEC in Perth bought the company a year or two ago and the prices skyrocketed..... They are now making the PD blower kits which are also being sold to the guy that controls the Australian distribution of Ultima Sportscars (not Peter Ransom - www.gt40australia.com) The Ultimas will soon be using Lexus motors alsomst exclusively with the option for the PD blower. I spoke with him today, and he said the price would be similar to what you've already heard....
If you do want a forced induction Lexus, get on to Scott about the turbos. Running reasonably small turbos, the motor makes HUGE, useable torque down low which makes the twin turbo Harrison that Scott built LOTS OF FUN to drive!!!!!

Jim, vcf (Scott) is building a twin turbo Lexus powered Cobra that already has the splined front hubs for the AWD conversion. He has the motor, trans, diffs, all suspension, pin drive 18" wheels, lift off & tilt front etc etc etc. It will happen, as long as mine is finished first !!!!!!
Old 04-13-2002, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Hi Craig,

As always an informative post,thanks,i havent bought an engine
as yet but ill check out the jap importers,ive now decided to go with a classic revival kit and a good mate is going to order his at
the same time so we should be able to help each other out,by the way he's going to run ford a 4.6 4 valve?

i guess running twin turbos scares me a bit,not from a power point of view but in a technical and cost way.

i saw pauls car down in goalburn an it blew me away

thanks michael

wish i'd spelt toyota not toyata

Last edited by michael_s; 04-14-2002 at 12:46 PM..
Old 04-14-2002, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael,
I hope classic revival have a BIG engine bay. The 4.6 quad cam ford motors are MASSIVE - if you ever see one beside a 460 big block Ford motor, they're similar in size!!!!!

I'd seriously get your friend to measure around the front chassis rails to make sure that it's not going to be a big re-engineering exercise just to make the motor fit....

I may be way out in my estimation, but a "budget" twin turbo motor could well end up costing less than a Vortech (or other centrifugal blower) motor, not to mention what AEC are asking for their PD blower kit. As an example, the Vortech on my motor is currently selling for a little over $6,500- on it's own - no brackets, no pulleys, no belt, no fasteners - NOTHING. The smaller Vortechs are cheaper, but you'll still have to fabricate everything to suit a Lexus. You can see how it quickly adds up. If you go ahead and buy the latest ball bearing turbos and a huge Garrett intercooler then it'll cost you big bucks, but the second hand Nissan turbos seem to work well on the Lexus motor. You're going to have to fabricate headers anyway, so the turbo piping isn't such a burden. The technical side of things seems to only be an issue if you're trying to run way up in the boost, but a 6 - 8psi boost limit would show excellent results without causing any problems.

GET THE TURBOS!!!!! (Then ring Scott and politely ask him to make it all fit..... )
Old 04-23-2002, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Craig,

sorry for the late reply,turbos would be good, i'll have to get in contact with scott,do have his phone no so i can get advice on what turbos i'd need etc. but i still like the idea of a vortech that way i can run normal looking sidepipes{.didn't you have one for sale?}
i'm sure it wound'nt be difficult for someone to make an adapter ?
i'll have a talk to scott and see what he reckons about both
thanks michael
Old 04-24-2002, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Michael,
I had a spare blower that a guy wanted to fit to his Porsche 911. It all became to hard for him once he realised that the blower didn't physically fit into the rear engine compartment without some significant mods He had the dimensions before he bought it....

www.capa.com.au is selling the S-Trim for close to what this blower cost to get into the country. I could probably save you a couple of hundred dollars, but you wouldn't get the warranty that Capa would offer through their association with Vortech.

Scott's work number is 07 3208 3224. He'll probably read this anyway....
Old 04-28-2002, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig,

thanks for the info as always i'll give scott a call this week

michael

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: