Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2002, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Dvsf 2

Greetings;
I know some of you blokes went to the Spring Fling in Ohio, time to spill your guts and tell us what it was like.
I've got all day!

Cheers
Chris Lidgerwood
Old 07-05-2002, 09:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Chris, all I can say is "you should have been there". It was without a doubt the most awesome Cobra experience imaginable (short of having Pamela Anderson bent over one....can I say that?)
Seriously though, the organisation of the event was second to none. Ed (Double Venom) is a genius. Anyone that can keep his business afloat while organising an event of this magnitude is pretty amazing. He's a down to earth gentleman as well.

THE CARS..... Scott and I were commenting on the quality of American Cobras compared to our own. The Queensland Club is often singled out as the show-car state (notwithstanding the fact that we also usally have the fastest cars as well ), but I'd confidently say that literally dozens of cars there were built to a higher standard than our best. I'm no show judge, but an overall inspection showed the true quality fo the cars. Superformance had a display transporter with one of their cars in the air for all to see. The way these cars can be purchased makes it so easy to build a show-stopping car. Everything looks to be so well put together, all the little details are already done. ERA had their big block GT40, 427 and 289 cars there. I still think that if I was to buy a glass car, it'd be an ERA.

THE PEOPLE..... Met Aussie Mike from Melbourne!. Now, take every thought of brash, arrogant Yanks that some television shows seem to perpetuate, and throw it way out the window. The Cobra family over there is filled with many extremely wealthy individuals, businessmen, lawyers, computer techs etc, as well as many guys that had to work pretty hard to afford what they have, but you could easily approach any of them, anytime. Without fail, they'd talk for as long as you wanted about their car, other cars, the steamy weather, Australia - whatever. Some car owners in Australia would do well to take note. The mateship was astounding, and everywhere I went I was approached by guys that I'd met via ClubCobra. I can now put a name to a face, and that means a lot to me.

THE BEER and THE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES..... I was offered so many free beers over the weekend, and I ate so many chocolate chip cookies that I didn't need to eat or drink for the following few days. I think it was one of the Semko brothers that first mentioned the "cookies to die for". Well, I nearly did die from over consumption.

THE HOST..... i've mentioned it elsewhere on CC, but Hersh is the best host that a guest could ever hope to meet. As far as making a holiday go smoothly, Hersh was unbelievable. As far as generosity, we're still fighting with the man to try to pay for some not-insignificant costs incurred during the holiday. He won't take our money.... He puts us up for three weeks, then won't let us pay our own way.

THE HOLIDAY..... We drove basically the entire length of Route 66 in a 6 speed Cobra at speeds usually around 130kmh, often around 145, and occasionally 160kmh. We didn't even get a speeding ticket! We drove over 4000 miles in the Cobra, then another 1000+ miles going to Vegas and California. We went to the Shelby factory and had a private tour outside of tour hours, went to Indianapolis and did a lap of the oval (in a bus...), did laps of a short speedway oval in the Cobra (Aussie Mike has it on video I hope), went to Terra Haute Speedway oval, saw World of Outlaw Sprintcars racing in Sedalia, Missouri, went to a 200+ car show that happens every week in Arizona, Route 66 museum in Clinton Oklahoma. Finishline Motorsports in Las Vegas, R&E Racing in California, saw a Stealth bomber in Lancaster, were propositioned by three gorgeous blondes in Vegas (you want HOW MUCH!?!), drove a Targa Tasmania style rally course through the mountains of Phoenix with a video camera attached (advised speed 15mph, actual speed 65mph...).

Did we have a good holiday? I think that's pretty clear

Will I be there next year, and should you come too --- ABSOLUTELY!!!! I'll have some pictures next week.

Craig
Old 07-07-2002, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Ahhh shuck Craig ! it was nothin'
If you would have tried to stick any money in my pocket I woulda broke your fingers. I had as much fun as you guys and it didn't cost me a dime to put you up here. I was going to the fling anyway so that is a moot point. I hope you do get to come back. It won't be the same without you and Scotty . You guys are just too easy to please. Next year the GT40 WILL make the trip and the cobra won't go unless you guys drive it.

Hersh
Old 07-07-2002, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Fella's

Reading all that makes my stomach turn!. You lucky bastards.

Hersh; If you keep behaving like that,you'll have to contend with more than 2 Aussies next year!

Aussie Mike is going to burn a copy of that video for me ...very shortly I hope.

Cheers
Chris Lidgerwood
Gisborne
Vic
Old 07-08-2002, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

See what I mean about Hersh? He's unbelievable.... Imagine 5 or 6 Arizona Cobras and a GT40 streaking along a wide, flat interstate highway somewhere in a sandstone formed, postcard quality section of New Mexico. The sun's been up for a few hours, and the average speed has been somewhere over 80mph for the day..... That very scenario will become a reality next June, and I want to be a part of it!!!!!

Chris, the Queensland club had it's monthly meeting at Sanctuary Cove on Sunday. Scott and I were telling everyone about the holiday, and judging by some comments already, there might be more than just a few people going over next year!