Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2002, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Cragar Performance for engine dyno tunes!

My motor is off the dyno, and it made some pretty good numbers. From what the video replays show - it made 705lb/ft torque and 805hp at 6,000rpm, and a peak of 859hp at 6,400rpm with a very conservative tune.

Some of you may have seen on the main Forum about my dramas with spark plugs melting due to the design of my custom pipes. This was on top of the work required to fix some bugs that were present in the new version of Motec's new M800 ECU.

All in all, a huge amount of stuffing around was required by Craig from Cragar Performance over and above his quoted dyno charge. In fact, through no fault of his, my engine sat on his dyno for nearly three weeks.

I just want everyone to know that through all this, Craig remained patient and sympathetic to my periferal problems. He helped me with some wiring aspects, made new ignition leads to replace my brand new locally made junk and talked me through the whole dyno process. He made me feel as though he had a genuine interest in my project, and not just from a business point of view.

And I was pleasantly surprised at how reasonable his rates ended up. I can't tell you what a relief that was.....

I could not recommend any other dyno shop than Cragar Performance at Browns Plains. Ph 3800 1958. Tell him Craig Marsh sent you, and he might even find a few extra horsepower for you
Old 08-20-2002, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default M800

Craig

Can you tell what kind of bugs that were encountered with the new M800? I'm thinking of bidding on one from Adelaide.
Thanks,

Ken
Old 08-21-2002, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ken, only minor things. Motec are constantly improving their product, and I truly believe that they are the highest quality systems around for any price.

In my case, my version didn't have the 8 hours free lambda time enabled. We searched through the wiring and checked the sensors only to learn that the lambda time wasn't immediately available. Once the problem was apparent, a new file was emailed to the dyno guy, and it was downloaded straight to my Motec. Problem one solved.

Problem two was in the power-up diagnostics and self tests. I'm using the MSD Digital 6 CDI unit, which is an unusual combination over here (because Motec's own CDI unit is just as good and cheaper...). The Motec/MSD signal wasn't allowing the Motec to do an injector test. I think it was something to do with the Motec not triggering the MSD until it received a signal from the sync sensor. As a static test, the sync sensor obviously wasn't triggering so we chased our tales wondering why the Motec seemed to go into limp home mode. Now that we know about it, it'll never be a problem again.

Problem three - the Motec M800 loom as shown on their website doesn't show the CAN cable that's required to load new software programs and download datalogged files. There is now an RS232 / CAN adaptor, or you just need your wiring guy to include a dedicated CAN cable.

How much are you expecting to pay? I might be able to beat it through my supplier..... He's already sending a lot of ECUs, looms and ADL dashes to Europe and USA.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the bugs were minor.

The M800 on e-bay starts at 2500US and buy it now price is 2700US. It comes with a 3.5 floppy disc, wiring harness and user manual. At 2700 2day Fed-EX shipping is incluced. The seller is from Adelaide Aust.

What is your supplier's price. Need to know as the auction ends Aug. 24.

Thanks, Ken
Old 08-21-2002, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Craig,

I am impressed and envious with your numbers. Great effort on your part. By the way what are you going to do with all that power?

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 08-21-2002, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ken - I think I can beat that. I'll check on two day air costings. I'll get back to you in 24 hours from this post (as I have no idea what time it is for you over there!) If you happen to see this before I turn the computer off, are you likely to need the data logging option? If you're interested in seeing what's possible with the Motec and Datalogging, copy these files :
http://software.motec.com.au/release.../m800_164b.exe and
http://software.motec.com.au/release/files/mi_1-27b.exe These files are a total of 6.9meg, but I guarantee you'll want the logging after you've played with the interpreter program for a while. Just for kicks, I'm logging 64 different sensors/voltages/diagnostic codes. Hey - you can never have too much information

Clois - I'm not really sure what my reason was for building a high HP Cobra. It was only ever going to be a nice light 350hp weekend racer. Then this damn internet enlightened me as to what sort of power was available through the wonders of centrifugal blown EFI small blocks..... Now I think I win the award for "most HP in the Cobra, least money in the bank account"
Old 08-21-2002, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig

I don't think I'll need the data logging at this time. I might in the future. Main thing is I need is an ECU, wiring harness and user manual.

I have converted a Hilborn mechanical to EFI system. In my case the air horns could extend thru the hood unless a huge hood scoop is used.

I have downloaded the 2 files. What do these programmes do?
Do I need the M800 ECU connected to run these programmes or can I just play with them on my computer ie simulation runs.

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited by Ken Oikawa; 08-21-2002 at 11:54 AM..
Old 08-22-2002, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ken - you don't need the ECU connected to just have a play with the programs and get a feel for what they are capable of. When I opened Interpreter, then clicked "FILE" then "CHANNEL NAMES" I just couldn't believe the datalogging capabilities. I was like a kid at Christmas as I went through all the sensors that I'm putting around the car..... The more I look around the software, the more I find! If I can't work it out, I send an email to Motec Tech, and have a reply within a couple of hours - their tech service is second to none.

I've sent you a Private Message, lest I be accused of turning this forum into a business.....

See you,

Craig

Last edited by 750hp; 08-22-2002 at 06:24 AM..
Old 08-22-2002, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig

Thanks for the reply and the PM.

I'll load the programmes and play with it. Hoping to have fun.

I'll send you a PM regarding the ECU.

Ken