Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 10-07-2002, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default 9 second Cobra motor for sale.

A good friend of mine owns a Ford Performance workshop that builds arguably Australia's fastest Ford motors. Not long ago, he built a motor for his own street car as an example of what he can build for his customers. He quickly decided that "merely running low 10s" wasn't exciting enough, and built another engine. If you're looking at having Australia's fastest naturally aspirated Cobra, his first combination is the motor for you!!!

351 4V Cleveland with all the good gear - cost to build $25,000.

4V heads that would make many alloy head flow #s look silly.
Ross dome top pistons 12.5:1
Eagle 4340 steel rods
Eagle 4340 steel crankshaft std stroke
Solid roller camshaft 268 degree
Top quality valvetrain ($1,000- valve springs, titanium retainers, roller rockers, guideplates etc, etc)
Revised oiling system
MSD billet distributor
no carb
TFC single plane manifold (Roush type)

It was installed in a 3500lb XY Falcon and ran 10.2 second 1/4 mile @ well over 130mph. It's pretty easy to see that it's a mid 9 second motor for a Cobra.

Selling for $12,000-...... (For the benefit of any Americans reading this, that's only $6,500 USD !!!!! What's a 9 second motor worth in the States?

He is willing to exchange the high comp pistons for flat-top pistons and a smaller camshaft for pump-gas street driving if the buyer wishes. I kinda hope that it stays exactly as it is though..... a proven combination, and certainly a wild motor for a Cobra!

Reply here, PM or email me if you want further details.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter 427, 5.0 (302)
Not Ranked     

Uh how many stamps to mail it to the states?
Old 10-07-2002, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Haha!!! Your CART Indy guys are coming out here on October 24, so we can slip it into one of their many shipping containers!

Really though, it'd probably cost around $300- $400 USD to ship it. I haven't gotten any serious quotes from shipping companies because I'm expecting someone local to snap this up. It's a really good deal for a motor of this performance and quality over here. I don't know what this would be worth in the States, but if it's a worthwhile saving for someone.....
Old 10-07-2002, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 454 S.O.
Not Ranked     

Back assword the numbers comes up to be 653 hp. Pretty good deal. How many passes / miles?

“If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower.”

Mark Donahue
Old 10-08-2002, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeff - I was going to get the Moroso calculator out, but you've done it for me. Thanks!

The motor did about 20 1/4 mile passes over a month or so. No street miles, because he hasn't driven his "street car" on the street for years So you could say that the motor is near enough to brand new. He's a fanatic about details, so once the motor came out of the car, he pulled the pan and checked the bottom end. I saw it that day, and the hone marks in the bores are absolutely unmarked.

Here's the car (on the cover of Australia's largest V8 performance magazine this month) with the motor that replaced his 10.2 sec motor. He's now running 9.2 @ 140+!!!!!

Old 10-08-2002, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     

Whats this guy like at building 351W Strokers with good gear, I am just over the ditch in NZ, have a guy who reckons he can get me 480bhp out of a 392 on pumpgas, at about NZ$25K with all forged Probe internals, AFR Heads, roller cam, oil pump out the front etc, that includes fabricated sump, MSD Billet distributor and carb.

Ant

The 1960's rocked!
Old 10-08-2002, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ant - a genuine 480hp is a pretty good engine, but this guy is regularly building Cleveland engines that are making a GENUINE 600+hp on Shell Optimax pump gas. This is verified on the Jack Bros engine dyno here in Brisbane. The customer can have his engine run on the dyno for their own peace of mind, but most of them know that these engines will perform "out of the box".

I must say though - he really prefers Clevelands to Windsors, but I'm working on him..... He has just built a 6/71 blown Windsor for a local Cobra guy.

Anyway, he could build you A LOT more power than 480hp on pump gas, and within your budget.

Why do you feel a dry sump is necessary?
Old 11-26-2002, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

Craig could I please have the guys contact details for his shop.

Mines going to have to be emissions legal and be noise legal.

Anyway I had some ideas but it always helps to get prices and things from someone with good experience.

Youve got my PM address, or just reply here.

Thanks alot.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony at TOCA 07 3290 1606. I don't think he's ever built anything to meet pollution or noise emissions though. If it's not a high comp, high lift, high revving motor - I don't think he's interested.

Just trying to save you the phone bill!!!
Old 11-26-2002, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

Sweet thanks Ill ring him anyway only take a few mins.

Interestingly, take the LS6 for example. What, 10.5 compression, valve lift is something like .560" and its fully compliant. Closed loop seqeuntial electronic engine management does alot, as does keeping the cam duration in check.

Hey what are you doing with your motor and the emissions rules? Are you runing LPG? Or did ya pull a swifty and get an allready compliance plated one before the emissions rules came in?

Cheers

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: