Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2002, 03:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python
Not Ranked     
Default Brake Upgrade

Hello all:

Just been thinking about brakes and would like to hear peoples opinions on some different combo's that exist out there.I have a Jag rear and an independent front that runs Holden disks/calipers.
A mate adapted some Volvo (4 pot Calipers) to the front of an LH torana with the DBA gold rotors and I'm thinking this could be one way to get a little more bite in the front end,I allready have the slotted and drilled rotors.Another bloke I met recently has got Harrop calipers and rotors allround (6 pots and 356mmOD).He had his Jag rear modified to take the outboard set up and runs 18 inch rims.He said it was pretty straight forward mod and has offered to show me(a bad idea).
I think that 17 inch rims will give me ample everything without getting carried away, so do you think for a street car with occasional track work an upgrade is go or should I just leave it alone.
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Regards
Chris Lidgerwood
Gisborne
Victoria
Old 12-14-2002, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, Tweaked 351W, T-5Z, CRII Tech Support Team.
Not Ranked     

Take a look at the post and photos of Aussie Mike's setup. Itt doesn't get much better than that.

That car will stop on a dime, and give you a nickel change.
Old 12-15-2002, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Chris,

How's your car progressing? I've been meaning to catch up with you.

I believe your Python runs HQ front spindles. The guys at Hoppers Stoppers in Hoppers Crossing do a complete kit that utilises HSV Commodore discs and calipers. These are pretty much the same calipers used on the Corvette. I recon this would be a demon set up on the front of a Cobra. Many of the aftermarket calipers don't have dust seals so aren't technically legal for the road. The HSV also has the advantages that the pads will be available anywhere at reasonable prices. There should be a range of after market pads in different compounds too.

Hi Jack,

My set up is nothing special, it's mostly factory stuff that I've modified a bit. Front discs and calipers are Jaguar XJ6 S3 and the rears are Ford Falcon. I've just drilled and slotted the discs and rebuilt the calipers. A lick of paint makes the whole thing look flasher than it is.

In a few years when I can afford it I wouldn't mind going to 330x32mm rotors and AP 4 pot callipers. The pic below is much the same but with Willwood calipers.

Cheers
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2003, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

Harrop have some fabulous brakes on offer that will meet a Commodore / HSV bolt pattern and a number of other cars as well.

http://www.harrop.com.au/Home.shtml

But remember, brakes alone are not the thing - all you really need to is to exceed the tractive capacity of the tires at any speed and to be able to do this with enough conistancy against heat and fatigue.

I think ABS is a good thing to have, and I reject the philosphy that race drivers dont use ABS. Actually in "Tune to Win" Carroll Smith predicts that racers will use ABS if it isnt illegal - I think a modern computer controlled four wheel independant ABS system will brake better and more consistantly that any human ever will.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Samson
Not Ranked     

Bathrone,
I have successfully retrofitted ABS into my Cobra, I'd be happy to give any assistance and advice that I can offer if you need it.
Email me if you need to contact me.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

Thanks very much Dave. Im going down south for some weeks but when I return Im going to look into whats required. Thanks for the offer to help out with info
Old 01-10-2003, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default hello Dave

Hi Dave, how have you been, i havent seen yiou post in here for a long time.
i was looking through some old pics i tokk last year and found the pics of your cobra i took whilst visitng.
As you can see i still havent got my car but i am on my way, the shed is ready and i have my motor and transmission ready to rebuild.
As you can also see i no longer live in the sunshine state (thats why the cobra was held back)
I have deciced it will be a classic revivals kit that i buy.
Is all your abs working correctly now?
Keep in touch and take care

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Dave Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Samson
Not Ranked     
Smile

Hi David,
In fact I smashed the Cobra up very badly hitting a concrete barrier on the track @145 kph and have spent the past 6 months rebuilding it. It is now complete and as good as new.
The ABS works very well, I have tested it up to 180 kph on a wet surface and it thumps the sh*t out of my knee bringing the speed down to almost walking speed before locking the front wheels - just the way it's supposed to be. Next - traction control ....

Classic Revival is the way to go, the crumple zone in that chassis saved my life, I doubt whether other chassis are engineered as well.

Now pull your finger out and place that order with Ian, he's waiting for your call.