Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2003, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, 351W, GT40 Lightning Intake, Toploader, Jag running gear, 3.07 diff, Autronic ECU
Not Ranked     
Question Customised Number Plates?

I was chatting to Aussie Mike the other night at the Vic Cobra Club meeting and the conversation got onto cutomised number plates. I'm currently building a G-Force and although I'm close to getting it registered, I really hadn't thought much about number plates - too many other things to worry about!. Aussie Mike secured himself one and I thought that for $310 bucks - why shouldn't I ?! I annoyed the hell out of VicRoads (131171) for a day until I settled on 'SLITHA'. This got me wondering what other plates are out there on Cobras ? what are some good ones you've seen or perhaps have yourselves ?

By the way, a couple of number plates still available in Victoria are FANGED and FANGIN in case you're interested. Most of the obvious ones have gone of course.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

"Fanged" is a good one. Double meaning there too as in to go for a "fang" ergo drive very fast up the road.

I got BAD ASP after seeing Hershal (BT Snake) had it on his Cobra.
It appealed to me but I hear the DMV didn't like it and took it off him.

I like the ones that are a play on words "SLITHA" is good cause it makes you think about what it means and how it relates to the car. I figure when that lightning 351 fires up your rear tyres will be doing a lot of slithering all over the road

I gotta call buy and see your car in the flesh some time.

Cheers

Old 02-12-2003, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

You guys are so lucky to only pay $310 for your plates.... It's $1895 for the same thing up here www.ppq.com.au

I just got home from the Brisbane Motor Show, and there was a number plate auction as part of the show. Guys were paying crazy money for plates!!!

Some results from memory....

HRT.001 $6000
BOXSTER $10,000
UTE.001 $5,000
Q90 $25,000
DOC.01 $5,500
L8 $8,000
Old 02-12-2003, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

you guys should register in the northern territory
plates cost $110 and you can have upto 7 charachters
ie. 66 COBRA FASTONE ALLMINE and the one i am getting BITEY

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:28 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default You gotta be kidding!

How come your plates cost so bloody much? What is the annual renewal fee???? I won't even mention was a custom plate is here!

By the way, hats off to all of you. My father was down under when the 9-11 attacks occured. He said the out pouring for the U.S. really amazed him. Our cousins down under. I wonder if it is because the British took a dump on both of us some point in history

I have been watching the V8 supercar series recently. What motors are they running? Any one know of a good deal on a blue thunder or funnel web?

For those of you coming to the Fling. We are having a meeting on Sunday. May be some more new developements. That is if we all don't get drunk and pass out watching the Daytona 500!

Thanks

Rick
Old 02-12-2003, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

always liked......TUO KOOL backwards it's look out
Old 02-12-2003, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

rdrman the motors arent anything special. They are old tech normally aspirated 2v pushrod motors with a 5 liter displacement, running on 98 RON fuel and I think a 7500 RPM rev limit. They have advanced electronic engine management and real time telemetry systems though.

They are effectively a full tube chassis and run a live axle rear suspension.

The brakes, drivetrain and suspension are all custom race stuff, with alot of it standard fitment to a spec.

To be honest I think the category is boring. Its either Holden or Ford - I think there should be more manufacturers in the comp. Also the rules are stupid. They are not modified production vehicles they are mostly 1960s technology on a body that looks like a late model Falcon or Commodore.

Holden run the chev motor, and ford run the ford.

It used to be alot more interesting. We had minis, six clyinder toranas, 2 liter turbos, Skyline GTRs and all sorts of things.

Last edited by Bathrone; 02-12-2003 at 08:53 PM..
Old 02-12-2003, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

WOW that is a lot of $$ for a lic. plate
I paid $95 for COBERA in Nor. Cal
Old 02-13-2003, 12:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Rick,

Word traveled pretty fast about 9/11. I got a call from a friend at about 2AM and watched it all unfold on TV. I was in tears, I couldn't believe what was hapening. Those F#%&ers that did it must pay.

Victorian personalised licence plates are a one off fee of $310, no yearly renewal. That's about US$185 with the current exchange rate. Registration is a bit cheaper down here than other Aussie states at about $460 per year. This includes 3rd party personal injury insurance. I think some of the other states you need to source this insurance seperately from an insurance company (correct me if I'm wrong you guys).

Only problem is the tax on fuel is higher down here to make up the money they would collect in rego. I'm not complaining too much, we get a pretty good road system for our money when compared to the other states.

"TUO KOOL" is a good one. Dave, you get 7 letters up there in NT. I reckon that one is a good pick.

Adam, I fondly remember watching those XJS Jags storm over the mountain. Magic stuff. The new formula is a bit boring. I'd rather see a bit more variety like the old days.

Cheers

Old 02-13-2003, 05:41 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default V8 'supercars', plates and more

So the fords are even running Clevelands!!! For shame.

Yearly registration for custom plates is about $70 a year. Includes nothing!

We pay about 54% of the price of every gallon of gas in direct and indirect taxes. Taxes on consumption, distribution, etc. It is getting to the point with taxes that it is going to be time for another Tea Party soon I paid more in taxes last year then I have in my Cobra.

I like my license plate "GRINCTY". Think it says it all without inviting a race at every stop light (the Cobra does that enough).

How about those intakes? Blue Thunder, Funnel Web?

I met Mike at the Spring Fling here near, VERY near, my home town last year. Hope to see more of you this year. If you need anything, you know you can count on us.

We are having a meeting this Sunday and will discuss the up and coming spring fling. Some of the people that will be joining us are:
- Manager and Owner of Quaker Steak and Lube (first night last year with the burnouts)
- Alice from Cystic Fibrosis
- The CFO from MAC tools
- London county commisioner
- Director of Madison County Airport (wonder what is up with this?????)
- Director of the Central Ohio Sports Car Club of America

The meeting is just mainly a fun meeting. Forcast is high of 34 with mix of snow and rain, 60% chance. Don't expect any Cobras!

Bin Laden is a fool, liar and a hypocrite. Continued aggression will only lead to further retaliation and increased involvement in the middle east. Just the opposite of what he says he wants.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,
Please tell me that the cars will be let out on the airstrip for some top speed runs.....

The V8 Supercars are still using the 8.2" blocks, so while they use Cleveland style cylinder heads, they're still Windsors.

We have a couple of different companies making top quality single plane manifolds for 4V Clevelands, but they have a pretty high plenum height. I bet they wouldn't fit under a standard scoop... Blue Thunder aren't made out here, but I'll get some prices from a friend at the track tomorrow. His own Cleveland is making around 900 naturally aspirated horsepower, so he knows what works on Clevos and what doesn't.

How radical is your motor? I have a feeling that these intakes are really best suited for high compression, hgh rpm race motors.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have got ordinary issue plates in Victoria from when they got up to "Q"......... QIK-429. Only cost me $110.00.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 02-14-2003, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Andy, I've done something similar up here - 351.CID for my XY Fairmont. Gee, I must have forgotten that it has a 460 big block....
Old 02-14-2003, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Funnel Web Manifolds.

I spoke to GT ford performance today and got some prices on the Funnel web manifolds. They do a 4V Cleveland manifold for $670 Aus (about $380US) This has raised floor runners and requires port plates for the heads to make it realy work well. 2V Cleveland version was about $660. No port plates required for this one. They also do a 289/302 Windsor manifold for about $640.

These are retail prices quoted to me so there may be some room to move when talking to the right speed shop.

One interesting development they have is a Clevor manifold. This one is set up to suit 4V Cleveland heads on a 351 Windsor bottom end. Sort of a Super BOSS motor.

Here are some details on the Funnelweb manifolds.

http://www.fomoco.com.au/Funnelweb.htm

Here is a recipie for a tough combination. Combine the Clevor manifold with a ported set of these alloy Cleveland heads on a 392 Windsor Stroker bottom end.

http://www.pavtek.com.au/pp_3vheads.html

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 02-14-2003 at 04:44 AM..
Old 02-14-2003, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

I am sure I am missing something in the exchange rate but what is the cost of your tags and registration in US dollars. In Tulsa the most we pay for any new car tag is $68.00 plus a $5 or $10 handling fee then if we want a "VANITY" plate the cost is an additional $15.00 per year. Since my Cobra was registered as a 1966 Cobra my annual tag and registration is $20.00 plus an additional $20.00 for my personalized tag "COBRA-SC"

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-14-2003, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

In the northern territory Australia we have a one of cost $110 for the "vanity" plate, and annual yearly registeration is approx $700-$800 includeing compulsary third pary insurance, these are in aussie dollars
Our current fuel price when i drove past a service station today is $1.09 per litre for unleaded and $1.12 per litre for premium

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB COBRA, 302W, GT40 manifold, E303 cam, Trickflow alloy heads, supra gearbox, LSD, commodore brakes, Autronic computer. The car was modified by Doug Pearce
Send a message via ICQ to Alvin
Not Ranked     
Default tags

hay all

lve got a set of number plates for victoria "MYCOBR"
But lve still havent got a car !!!!! (working on it)

akyong1@optusnet.com.au
Old 02-15-2003, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     

My 2 plates are the basic type and cost $185 each they are
BEA57 and SCO77 more letters cost more $$$$ so we use numbers to take the place of letters . its so i can spend all my money on going faster. .
Old 02-16-2003, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott - your plates would now cost $325-!!! They all went up about 10 months ago. Nice price rise, huh?!?

Did you sell some goodies at the swap meet?
Old 02-16-2003, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default bit and pieces

Yep i sold about $350 worth of stuff i will put it towards the kirkham. i got a new plate 184DAC (1BADAC).
duno tony has it all ready i just thought of the cheper version.