Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-30-2003, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Which one to choose....

Hi guys

I have been looking around for quite some time for a cobra kit to build, and I am trying to decide between DRB and harrison. Since I live on the Gold Coast, I thought it would be best to choose someone local.
I am not specifically after the Original look, just want something to build - I am planning on going the Lexus v8 turbo/supercharged - but nothing over the top. I also want to go with an IRS rear end.

Has anyone had any direct experience with either companies? Are their kits good quality? If you don't wish to post a reply here - email me at brettjulie@optusnet.com.au .

Also, when is the next Couran Cove run? Next Sunday 6th?
Might turn up for a look....

cheers,

Brett
Old 03-31-2003, 02:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Brett,
As much as I like the owner of DRB as a person, I jsut can't seem to get interested in their Cobra. The DRB GT40 is a lovely car, but when comparing Cobras, I truly believe that the Harrison Cobra is a superior product.

Scott Hampson (OZVENOM on ClubCobra) is building my Cobra at the moment. It's 98% done, so things are really exciting at the moment.

His business is called Venom Custom Fabrication. Phone 3208 3224. He is a dealer for Warwick Harrison's kits. He works from Slacks Creek, and is responsible for building some of the top Cobras in the country. His customers came first and second in the Concourse at the National Cobra event held down at Wakefield Park a couple of months ago.

If you buy a Harrison kit through him, the price is the same as if you buy it from Warwick Harrison, but you can be sure that you will get all the advice and assistance you need throughout the build. It's always nice to know that there's someone that can do ANY fabrication required for your car - quality work at very reasonable rates.

As far as I'm aware, Scott also did the initial chassis work involved in fabricating and engineering the Nissan IRS in the Harrison kits, and he's already built a twin turbo Lexus powered Harrison for a customer. He's helping a couple of guys at the moment who bought a Harrison through him. They're going twin turbo Lexus as well. His own car looks like being a weapon when it's finished - a turbocharged, Motec EFI Lexus, four wheel drive, IRS, 18" magnesium wheels, full roll cage etc etc.

I think he's your man.....

Welcome to Club Cobra, and I look forward to seeing another true high performance Cobra in SE Qld!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 02:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks very much for the reply!

Now I'm excited.

While I may not initially create a bitumen ripping weapon, I will look at a staged build up - start with decent brakes and the lexus 8, then down the track go for the turbo/twin setup.

I own an r33 skyline gtst now, and I love turbo engines - so I doubt I would be able to stick with a NA V8 for too long!

Hmmmm..... how about a lexus v8 with a T66 on it? scary.

I am looking at around july to buy my kit.... got a few bills to pay right now

cheers,

Brett
Old 03-31-2003, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Scott's doing the same with his own car. It's currently a non-turbo Lexus with a Tremec 5 speed trans. Somebody found him a Motec M48 with Pro Logging and Lambda option enabled. This will allow him to dial in the Motec quickly and easily as a naturally aspirated car, then it's a piece of cake to convert to the turbo later.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Which kit?

In my search for a kit to build i did look very seriously at the Harrison cars, they where my number 1 choice for a long time.
My main concern was the rear axle ratio and the availability of other ratios, I think with the standard ratio the engine would be too high in its rev range to keep me happy, maybe i am being picky but that was my opinion.
Warwick was very helpful with all questions i had regarding his kits and did have it arranged to take me for a ride, but sadly his car was crashed the week before i was there.
The guys at DRB didnt really want to give me the time of day let alone try to sell me a $10,500 car.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb skyline ratios

The issue of ratios for skyline diffs has been addressed with various ratios avilable the std for a gtst,gts4 is 4:3( though the gts4 is a vicous diff the same size as a gtr.) ,gtr and is 4:1 and some silvias have 4:1 and 3:7 available i have 4:1 gtr centre also with a little tricky fabrication a 3:7 300 zx centre could be fitted which is bigger and stronger than a gtr centre .
so as you can see ratio's are not realy a problem.
I have 2 x 300zx 3:7 centres a 4:3 gts4 and a sil 4:1 which i think is sold . there is also a range of sway bars you can get from 15 mm to 30 mm hollow.
hope this helps your decision they are a good kit that is fairly easy to build and light mine came in at 1042 kgs with a roll cage and tools also 1/2 tank of gas.
Attached Images

Last edited by OZVENOM; 04-01-2003 at 04:05 AM..
Old 04-01-2003, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default I agree with them fellas

Hey Blud, I agree with that 750hp fella.

You know the hardest thing about building a cobra?....... Finding some one who knows the things inside out and wont BS to you.

I know there are a lot of real nice fellas out there selling cobra kits but to me, If I had my time over again, I'd deal with an engineering type. Someone who knows what the faults are but more importantly, not only knows these faults but can fix them himself...

Every state seems to have its cobra guru but the problem for a lot of those guru's is that they are flat out welding a couple of bits of steel together. We are lucky here in Queensland to have a fella who doesnt BS, knows the car, knows how it should drive and handle, but more importantly, can back his own recommendations with just the best workmanship/engineering you'll ever see from a petrol head.

You want to do something weird and out of this world....if it's workable .... this bloke can do it..if it wont work, he'll tell ya.

Anyways, the harrison kit is as faithful a shape as you will get (straight too, wished mine was), and is damn good value for what you get. If I had my time over again, thats the way I'd go....and I'd buy it from that Scott fella.

Now, when I win the pools, I'm gonna import a Kirkham and have it delivered to Slacks Creek.

And....while Scott was doing work on it for me...I might teach him to spell

Last edited by Rebel1; 04-01-2003 at 05:44 AM..
Old 04-02-2003, 01:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rebel - after I fumble around all day while I'm at Scott's shed, desperately trying to do some work on the Cobra with my own hands, I generally give up and let Scott fix what I've half destroyed. I know my weaknesses all too well, so it's fun to get my own back and poke fun at Scott when I have the chance.....
SPELLING....... I think he locked himself in the Manual Arts / Metalwork building at scholl while the rest of the students had moved onto the English class. Here's something I posted about two months ago...

Quote:
Originally posted by 750hp

Scott OZVENOM builds some "out there" machinery that others don't have the talent / foresight / balls to build. His AWD twin turbo car will be an amazing sight when it's finished. It's in the early stages at present - the Lexus Quad Cammer is installed, along with the Nissan GTR independent rear. The car is complete and registered, currently in rear wheel drive configuration. I've seen the front diff, turbos, intercooler and plumbing - all ready to go when the time arises. Can you imagine what a 600+hp, AWD, 2200lb Cobra will accelerate like!?!

Scott, I have a proposition for you.

You have done (or will do) the following on my car :
Chassis work
Suspension work
Steering work
Engine mounts
Transmission mounts
Fibreglass work - including the infamous Mount Kosciuszko...
Alloy panelling
Intercooler plumbing
Fuel system design and fabrication
Swirl Pot
Accusump install and mods
Oil breather tank
Roll bar and mounts
Custom dashboard
Lift-off front
Brakes
Engine start-up and checking
Seat belts
Seat mounts
Door and boot latch assemblies
A million various fabrication jobs
Complete assembly of vehicle
Complete systems check.

In return, I offer the following:
Spell checking
Advice regarding correct construction of sentences, and
Punctuation advice.

Don't get all offended and charge me more money for your labour costs now!!!

While I'm here joking about your cheery lack of concern for correct spelling and punctuation, you're probably out in the shed turning up some trick little custom fabricated bits and pieces that'll blow me away the next time I visit. The end result is that while I can type on a computer all day about building Cobras, you're out there actually doing it....
Old 04-02-2003, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default We got him sussed

HaHa, we sure got this fella sorted Craig.

Doesn't it give ya the sh$ts though. We spend hours worrying about how to do seemingly impossible tasks.

He just looks at it and in his quiet way says...
Well..we'll put that here, run that over to there, bolt that to that thing, turn up a little whatzit....then that will connect to here ......and it all works!! No Problem.

Makes ya wonder why you even worried in the first place.

Gotta admire a fella like that
Old 04-03-2003, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This guy sounds like the man!

Well, I'd like to shed some light on my past.... (in my currently alcohol induced state)

I am in the IT industry (network admin) , but I was brought up with the most handy dad in the world (he did everything, he is/was a blacksmith/boilermaker!), and have followed on the same. I love woodturning, building, lanscaping, electrical (my shed and welding things together.

It should also help my build that I am a tradesman fitter and turner, and will have a go at anything I put my mind too.

My pet hates are ppl that don't try (ie. don't even have a screwdriver set at home) and bad drivers (ie. don't know what the stick is on the right hand side of the steering column is!!!!)

I think the bigest hurdle I will have is knowing what is needed, but not having the machinery to do it!!! I am so looking forward to getting my hands dirty, watching as my creation unfold.

I love you guys (said in my best p*ssed voice, arms around all near) hahaha

Cheers,

Brett
Old 04-03-2003, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Your Shout Blud..scotch n Dry thanks

Wot!!..How the hell can a fitter and turner get into IT?..sheez..I thought when u guys were promoted you became boiler makers.

If you want to see a nice cobra street car..go see a fella named Don Pelling, he owns a lil biz called Snake Bite, Unit 3, "Fernrow Place, 227A Brisbane Road, Labradore. Phone 5529 0877.

He makes a lot of the stainless bits and pieces we use. You will love his workmanship. Have a look at his car just to keep your enthusiasm up.

His car is the same kit as mine and we are one serial number apart. His is driveable though

The stick on the right of the steering column? OHH that thing...NUH!.. best way to get a cobra round a corner has more to do with that pedal on the right
Old 04-03-2003, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HAHAHAHA

Promoted to a boilmaker - HAHAHAH

naaahhh as they used to say, a boilermaker is a fitter and turner with a labotomy!!

No, my "crawl to the top" was, fitter and turner - move to the GC to an office job as a draftsman, then they found out I know about computers, then I studied - then I got in IT.

Some days I miss the simple "here's a job to finish by 2 oclock" mentality - no stupid little problems with computers and the like. (normally is the nut on the keyboard!). Getting covered in grease and metal shavings was fun (sometimes)

Yeah, hopefully I will get around someday and see all these guys you all mention, and check out their creations.

cheers,

Brett

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: