Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 05-05-2003, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default 383 gen III stroker

Hello everyone
It looks like the stroker kit i was looking at for my engine is going to cost about $4500 not the $3000-$3500 i was quoted originally.
My main question is do you guys think it is worth $4500 to increase capacity from 350 to 383?
I have been talking with Pavtek who can sell me a head and cam kit advertiseing 359 kw for $3900, that is probably all the power i need but i need to regrind my crank and replace the pistons anyway that is why i was looking at the stroker kit.
At a guess what sort of power increase would i get with the stroker crank 10.1 pistons and the heads from Pavtek?

Thanks for any help, Itchy feet Dave.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Dave,

Like you I am using the Gen 111 engine in a Classic Revival Chassis. I have decided to keep mods to , 8 litre sump/baffled, cold air intake, side pipes and LS1 edit. This should be good for about 280 kW. My reasoning is that this is going to give a power to weight ratio similar to a 911Porsche without the chassis dynamics or braking to match, so to go any higher would be suicidal. I think the characteristics of the std Gen 111 should suit the Cobra well as the Gen 111 is tame down low but only gets hauling over 3000 rpm. What you do not need is a stack of torque down low that just breaks the rear wheels loose. Looks great but makes it a handfull in traffic. I believe the best way to go is big brakes, 17 " or 18" rims, the best rubber you can afford and spend plenty of time getting the chassis set up.

Regards,

Phil Neall
Old 05-09-2003, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

It looks like there is going to be alot of gen III cobras being built over the next few years.
i will be going with 17 inch wheels and probably upgrade the brakes at a later date.
My questioning with the engine is because i have to rebuild it anyway i was thinking i may aswell do it all now.
For anyone else building gen III classic revival kits we should keep in touch, we may be able to get discounts on items if we buy in bulk?

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Dave, 4500 just for the stroker kit? seems way out of line. Spend the money elsewhere, good set of heads and intake and cam.....also look at www.corvetteforum.com for parts
Old 05-10-2003, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default $4500

That is in Aussie dollars.
Not sure about the current conversion rate but about $2500 US dollars.
I have been looking at the site you mentioned and i love the look of the supercharger kits

Cruising in 5th

Old 05-10-2003, 02:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi David,

$4500 is a big wad of cash for a mod that potentially might not add that much HP. Your money would be probably better spent on some good head work a cam and a re-mapped ECU.

There are some guys arround the country developing these motors now and they have been getting some good results. Chipmaster in WA have been getting some surprising results from tuning an unopened motor. Check out the development they have been doing on their Monaro test bed. It's making more rear wheel HP as a GTS300. All they have done to it is 4-1 extractors, a cold air box and done a heap of dyno tuning of the standard ECU. It now makes 247KW at the rear wheels where a standard GTS300 makes 225KW on the same dyno. The car has run a 12.98 quater on standard wheels and tyres and standard auto trans/converter. All the tuning and mods only seem to have improved low end HP rather than make for a peaky engine.

The Ute they have been working on has head and cam work as well and makes 274KW at the rear wheels. That equates to 367HP at the back wheels. From memory the most powerful Cobra that got on the dyno at DVSF2 only made about 350RWHP.
I think that'll be more than enough to scare the hell out of me.

This is the route I'm planning on going initially. Garrett has got me thinking about superchargers though.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 05-10-2003 at 02:23 AM..
Old 05-10-2003, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was thinking along the same lines that it is alot of money that may not add upto a substantial gain.
Another company that is haveing good success with these engines is http://www.pavtek.com.au/ls1_hc.html
Ok next question then is do any companies offer pistons or should i go with standard?
The crank needs to be ground or polished and the bores need a very light hone.
I havent looked at the cost of standard pistons yet
The more i think about it the less i think i want the stroker.

Cruising in 5th

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: