Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2003, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     

Ahmed, by the sounds of it you got the donk, but not the cover and with out sounding too bias, and you wanting a good setup ( better than the Robnell ( my opinion only ) The crew at Superformance have a unit sitting there ready for a 351 and box.
You may want to give Brian White a call on 0409165372, to have a look.
Mines up and running with bigger brake the final box to tick.
I can commend CTC ( Brians Co. and the cobra Guru Wayne Watson ) for the effort and knowledge they have when putting these units togeater.

Regards Garrett

Last edited by justbetter; 06-10-2003 at 12:19 AM..
Old 06-10-2003, 12:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi boxhead and Garrett, I bought my cobra from Perth, I believe the chassis is from arrows engineering, I'm not too sure if the body is from there too, or some one else made it for arrows to suit their dimensions, I'm in contact with the previous owner, I can find out for sure later.

Garrett you mentioned superformance, where are they situated, I'm interested in going out there to take a look. Do you know what they are asking for a rolling chassis. Before I bought my car, the only two places I checked out was phython and Robnell, I was very impress with the Robnell, the only drawback was the price, they wanted $39,000 just for the rollling chassis.

Regards Ahmed
Old 06-10-2003, 12:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahmed, they are placed in warragul, 1 hour from melb, worth the drive, i too looked at python and robnell but they didnt want to make the necessary modifications or inject the chev i wanted with the modifications to balance the car 50 / 50 also being a little tall i wanted to sit right so minor modifications were made. Im not sure what the asking price is for what you require but again give Brian a call he is so helpfull.
Or if you want to call in for a beer im in Essendon ( OK you lot thats not a open invitation to snap up all my beer ) to have a peep at mine from top side, but the visit to them to see under neath is worth it.

HEY MIKE, I mean chairman. Can i be vice pres, Can I Huh, Can I :-)
Old 06-10-2003, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Garrett, Mate I live less than 20kms from you, I live in Roxburgh Park, I would love to bring my cobra to your place or you come to mine. my car is at the mechanics at the moment, I'm getting it checked out and dyno tuned, should have it back in a couple of days.
Have you got your cobra at your place or is it still at Warragul?
Old 06-10-2003, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Its home, keeping warm, im home this weekend if you would like to call over.
Garrett

Last edited by justbetter; 06-10-2003 at 09:12 PM..
Old 06-10-2003, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Excellent, I'm off this weekend, providing the car comes home from the mechanics and providing its not raining, I'll give you a call and maybe come around and show you and see what you think.

Regards Ahmed 0425 762 196.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Garrett, I just took a look at the pics of your cobra, it looks awesome, It does not look like you took any shortcuts anywhere, How long did it take to build?
Old 06-10-2003, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Garrett,
I happen to work in Swift Way about ten doors down from where your car was at swift autos an had a looksy the day before you picked it up and also saw you coming back from your test drive.You've got a great looking car there!!!The LS1 and procharger sit nicely in the car it's certainly a credit to yourself and CTC....!!! Were you one of the crew to visit Bernies'over the weekend? If so how was the car and trip?
catchya Paul

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 06-10-2003 at 03:16 AM..
Old 06-10-2003, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ahmed, took just over 12 mthns.

Paul thanks for the comments, yep i was there, a few of us cruised for a while at 160kms plus with 200 plus common and constantly running out of road at 245kms in 5th at 5000 and 6th awaiting for a new member to the 200MPH club, oh well one day...
The Superformance felt at all times like it was on rails although i get a bit of a miss every now and then think the blower is blowing out the spark under nice load, so need to look at the gap on the plugs. Cant fault the Procharger, just sounds like a jet every now and then.
As far as the unit, its install and the choice of blower its all CTC and Wayne Watson that take the credit, if it was made of timber i'd have half a chance of knowing what was going on under there...
Old 06-10-2003, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Garrett.
Good to hear all went well...the LS1 mods are there any internal? As i've been told 450hp is pushing the stock rods are you around that mark??there is an after market rod available through C.O.M.E. Racing good for upwards of 650+ they say all other internals are fine upto there.......???
200mph.......push baby push ...the Superformance hit a wall at 285Kmh in a wind tunnel test i believe....I'm quoting CTC

Regards Paul
Old 06-10-2003, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Ahhh... wind tunnel, schmind tunnel. Aerodynamics are for those without enough horsepower. Go for that 200mph, Garrett!!! (Disclaimer - next time you're on an airport runway or something )

I must say that you're obviously confident in your car to go that fast in it straight away. Congrats on what must be a beautiful car! The Superformance cars really stood out as a consistently superb quality vehicle at the Fling last year. You've chosen well.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul no mods internally yet, with it being conservatively dyno'd at 250 at the wheels. I suppose anyone can launch a car to those numbers on the straight or around sweeping curves, i am now to tackle the track and learn whats possible where it counts, as im a bit rusty having been away from the track now for 10 years where i used to tickle my bottom in the twin carts division.
But now entering the bigger boys league the thing is to listen and learn how before going wow...
Old 06-11-2003, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig ..I agree whole heartedly maybe we could do a group push for 200mph out at Avalon airport 3klm's of the smoothest tarmac in the world all owned by a Motorsport enthusiast...!!!

Garrett, may have misquoted at 285klm/h after posting i thought about it and it may well have been 265klm/h,which i find a bit hard to believe as 750's rattley old 460 Falcon topped the cobra club runway blast at around 263klm/h(correct me if the speeds wrong Craig!!)and Mike Moores cobra looked like the space shuttle disintergating at what says was 265/270k's.Tear the windscreen off ,put a front splitter /tray and get Buzz to design a rear wing and 200mph looks a piece of cake....you say to listern and learn ......i think i've been listening to to many people with all my fanciful suggestions..maybe if i could make my mind-up i to would be driving a car by now!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2003, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul - is Avalon the airstrip that Motor magazine always seems to use for their "top speed" articles? Looks good.... Got any contacts to organise something for us? The public liability / indemnity bullsh.. that everybody's faced with these days has made it impossible for the Cobra Club to organise any such event any more, but it's amazing how little events come together by word of mouth. For example, a friend of a friend used to work at a factory that required access to an unused Brisbane Airport runway. They rarely used it, but on the odd occasion a few race cars happened to be going past on trailers when the gates would swing open for an hour or two. Fantastic opportunity to go for a fang, and it wasn't hurting anyone!

I started building this car of mine while West Wyalong was still going. OZVENOM and I had pretty much formulated a plan on how to convert our cars from street to "runway" trim. Underbody aero, enclosed grill, solid tonneau, no screen, rear diffuser, front splitter, etc, etc. Then they canned the event

Oh well..... let's get Avalon organised for sometime in the future. I bet Zoom magazine would be keen to do a feature on the day.

A genuine 200mph is a big ask. I'm sorry to say that the old barge didn't do 263, but only 236kmh. Mike's car also wasn't anywhere near 260+, as his space shuttle effort was around the 450 metre mark (from memory). I didn't drive my car on the runway, as I didn't have a CAMS license. I threw the keys to someone who hadn't ever even sat in the car, and he backed off 100m from the speed trap when the motor hit the rpm limiter. I had it set for 6,800. He said the car felt like it had a parachute on it when he backed off, so the speed should have been higher. How much higher is anyone's guess, but it has done 7,200 in top. Quite a sound!
Old 06-12-2003, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craig,
Are you certain about the speed as i thought your car topped all the cobras with Laurie Bongalias 242klm/h being the fastest cobra, that's way i related the Falcon at 263 if i'm wrong i'll definitly get back in my kennel... P.S..... As i've said previously the 460 went by at half track and sounded that STRONG and what a sweet sound.....

I had organized an Avalon day for the VIC. CC but the Airport director canned it two days before the event citing some BS reason...but there are a few windows open for the future with a bit of work and some high profile Drivers and a Mag. in attendance i think we'll be right.. Have you still got the ''Runway''trim plans?? Doug had the same ideas ....Time will tell
Old 06-12-2003, 07:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do I hear someone dis'n on the 460? I did remember tripping over a clunky old small block at Dougs tonight! (Ha Ha).

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 06-13-2003, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul, to be honest, I can't remember for sure what the speeds were. I thought they were the lower numbers.... All I remember is that I stuck my head under the dash to pull the rpm limiter chip out of the MSD 7AL. If Laurie ran faster than the XY on his last attempt, we were going to run my car all the way to the speed trap - whatever rpm it was going to take. Maybe not the sensible thing to do when you're 900 Ks from home, but you do these things when the competitive spirit takes over. As it turned out, we didn't need the last run. I should have made my way to half track, or the speed gun to hear the car. I could still hear it through the speed trap pretty clearly from the start line

I currently have no plans to do the aero package. Trying to get the bank balance closer to black is a big priority at the moment... I definitely want to see what the car will do in the future. The thought of a genuine 200mph Cobra appeals to me. I'm certainly not confident that it would get out and do it first time, but what a buzz trying

Zoom magazine saw my car at Qld Raceway and want to do a feature on it. When will you two get your cars out of Doug's shop and out to Avalon? I'm sure we could get some other toughies there for an article.....
Old 06-13-2003, 05:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My plan is to be on the road in about 12 months time. Good things are happening on a lot of different fronts at the moment.

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 06-14-2003, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Talking

I'M LOOKING AT ABOUT THE SAME TIME FRAME AS ANDY ,IF NOT SOONER WITH A BIT OF HELP FROM MIKE MOORE TO PUSH THE PROJECT ALONG .
AS ANDY COULD TELL YOU,I'VE GOT A BIT OF CATCHING UP TO DO....!! IN THE END IT WILL COME DOWN TO DOUG AND HIS ABILITY TO SQUEEZE ME IN..!!!!!

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ....COBRA-R 6SPEED COMPLETE WITH HYD. RELEASE AT $AU4100.00
Old 06-14-2003, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That price looks pretty good if it's new/unused. They're sold brand new through FRPP for around $2600USD, so that alone converts to around $3900AUD. By the time you ship it over and pay the duty, you'd be far better off buying this one.

BUT...... what's the chance of you actually fitting a T56 6 speed in a live axle Cobra? Unless you're planning on having super stiff suspension, I'd say your universals would have a hard time living with all the binding that they'd be doing with such a short tailshaft and a live axle. Put a Mike Moore style 9" IRS in there, and it wouldn't be a problem.....

I'd look at either the Richmond 5 speed, or the more widely used TKO-2. Much cheaper than the 6 speed, and you really won't miss not having the extra gear. I love what Mike has done with his T56, and Scott and I loved doing 80+mph for hours on end in Hersh's T56 Cobra in the US, but they both have IRS.