Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2003, 12:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default More progress on the weekend

I finally got the gearbox mount and crossmember finished. It's turned into a steel and eurethane sculpture but it looks like it'll work a treat. The T56 is a very long gearbox and it doesn't leave much room for a mount on the Classic Revival chassis. I had to slice off the original cross member mounts and fabricate a whole new set up.

I dropped the body back on to work out the clearances for the headers. I took the opportunity to check out what the relocated shifter was like. I spent at least half an hour sitting in the car and making broom broom noises whilst shifting gears. I'm very happy with how the shifter has turned out.

There is plenty of room around the motor to work on things. It's surprising how compact these LS1 motors are. Fitting the headers in will be easier than I thought.

Bernie, I was out and about on Saturday picking up steel and welding supplies and I dropped in to McDonald bros to see your car. They were closed by the time I got there but I could see your car out the back. They had a nice green Cobra on the show room floor too.

Here are some links to a few progress shots:

Gearbox mount.
Engine Bay
Interior

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 08-11-2003 at 06:45 AM..
Old 08-04-2003, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default Looking good Mike

Tell ya what tho...you wouldn't want that box any longer mike..just fitted before that X member.

Nice clean engine bay in them things .. and that funny motor seems to fit ok....very impressive.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Actually had to trim a bit off the gearbox to get it to fit. Used a die grinder and took about 8mm off each rear corner of the mounting flange.

The clean engine looking engine bay realy appealed to me when I first saw the Classic kit. Especially since I like to make everything look neat and functional.

Cheers

Old 08-04-2003, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Mike..how thick are those vertical plates at either end of the front X member..those vertical plates which look like the top mounting for the front suspension...they look heavy stuff...are they as thick as they look?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The front uprights are about 3" x 1.5" RHS that has the top capped. The upper shock mounts attach to these. They are made from 3mm plate that's boxed. You can see a bit better in this pic Front end

The big cross brace in the middle keeps everything rigid and is a bit of a homage to the original Coil spring Cobra front end. The torsion and beaming results are pretty awesome for a ladder frame chassis. In excess of 14,000NM per degree going by the engineers report that came with it.

As you can probably tell I'm impressed with this Cobra kit.

Cheers

Old 08-04-2003, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I'm impressed

Thats one hell of a structure supporting the front end.

Can see why ya impressed mike....very impressive
Old 08-09-2003, 02:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Its all certainly looking good Mike, makes me salivate even more knowing mine will be here in a couple of months.
I built an engine stand today to put the motor on and tear it apart
Next job is to clean out the shed and I will also put some tin sheeting on the timber work bench tops, Then make a stand to mount my bench grinder on.
Incase you cant tell I am counting the days
Keep up the pics so I can keep dreaming.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Boxhead,

Did some work on my Gen 111 on the weekend. Nothing radical just precautionary. Fitted Double row timing chain ($195 from Crow) Fitted underdriven Harmonic balancer (1kg lighter than std)
Had oil pump blueprinted, Fitted 8 litre sump.Waiting for aluminium flywheel and HD clutch to arrive. I should have my CR cobra on road by Christmas. I live close to Ian's workshop so will keep an eye open for your chassis/body. Are you buying rolling chassis?. Make sure you get big brakes and 17" wheels.

Regards,

Phil Neall
Old 08-10-2003, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

Mike - good to see the progress you are making now. It looks a bit different from when you posted with Amy's Bloomers!
Old 08-11-2003, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

I purchased the body chassis kit only.
I dont know if I will get the big brakes because i think i prefer the look of 15 maybe 16 inch wheels with taller rubber.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Mike, I can't wait to see how your car turns out. It's a shame that a lot of your neat little fabricated bits will be hidden from view once the body goes on...

Box - I love the look of the old-style 15" Halibrands with the 50 series balloon tyres. The big brakes on my latest car forced me into the 17s. Here's a photo of my old Cobra and the new one. Exactly the same body, and the new car's a bit lower. The wheel sizes totally transform the look of the car. It's weird - I had 265/50/15 Yokos on 15x9" wheels, and they looked bigger than my 285/40/17 Yokos on 17x11" wheels?!?

Old 08-11-2003, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Boxhead,
The 16's are a good compromise. Wilf has 16's on his Cobra and it looks fantastic. There are a lot more performance tyres available in 16 than 15 but I'm not sure if you can get them as wide.

Check out Wif's fine looking Cobra here: Wilf's Cobra

Phil,
why did you change the front pulley/ balancer? was it increase clearance over the steering rack or just for the under drive? From memory you were setting up an electric water pump on your LS1.

Where are you getting your aluminium flywheel and HD clutch from? I've been thinking more about running an aluminium flywheel lately. What sort of $$ for that setup?

Wilf,
I probably need to do another progress picture of me sitting in the car with some underpants on my head.

Craig,
The goodies may be hidden but I know they are there. I get just as much enjoyment out of making them anyway.

Cheers

Old 08-11-2003, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     

Mike,

The balancer is just for weight saving, this with the alloy flywheel
means I have about 6.5kg less to to get moving. The flywheel is from CAPA and costs about $1000.00. They have them in stock.

Yes I am going with electric water pump. That saved about 4 kg plus should work better than original also allows gradual warm up and prevents shock from cold radiator water hitting hot cylinder walls.

I am getting an alloy fuel tank made locally it has built in surge tank and tank is divided into four cells fitted with non return valves so that no matter how long you hold a line through a corner fuel will be avalable.

Sloth reckons his Cobra is scary quick. If a motor bike rider thinks that then Iam impressed.

Drilled holes for roll bar last night. You will be surprised how thick the glass is at this point.

Regards,

Phil
Old 08-13-2003, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wilf's car

I have to agree with you that Wilf's car does look good, I even like the exhaust out the back.
Would certainly make it easier to pass registeration with the under car exhaust, also no burnt legs.

Cruising in 5th

Old 08-15-2003, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all,

Sorry I missed you Mike. I am at McDonalds Racing tomorrow - Saturday.

Spent just over five full days working on the car since I got back from the cruise to New Cal. Drive it around the factories tomorrow to sort out any steering or brake troubles.

Hope to get the body on then for the last time.

The green car in the show room is Lindsay McDonald's. He built it up over about 18 months. British Racing Green and Gold stripes as you saw.

If you looked through into the workshop you would have noticed the chassis in behind the body.

I will get into the body in the next few weeks. Dont think I will have it painted and ready for Goulbourn. May still bring it in gel coat white with flat black stripes.

It was suggested that I shoot some colour on it and then rub it back when I get back

Ring McDonald Bros. Racing on 03 9 465 0000 a see if I am there and call over.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 08-15-2003, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Congrats on the go-cart

Big day Bernie, hope all goes well for ya.

Now..whats this about brakes?....what ya want them for?..they wont make ya go any faster..sure wont help ya in beating any of the banana benders

You take care