Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   Oil Accumulators (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/45192-oil-accumulators.html)

REPTYL 09-10-2003 12:29 AM

Oil Accumulators

Where can I find an Oil Accumulator in Australia.

Not fussed on the brand.
Very fussy on the price.

Just got quoted $660 from Rocket Industies. (stuff that!)

I could buy a new Clevo for that.
and still have $400 left for the rebuild.

ac andy 09-10-2003 05:15 AM

Is that like a catch tank Jase, if so there are a couple on e-bay at the moment in the Turbo and Performance section. If its not one of those i will shut up!

Andy.

hcollado 09-10-2003 05:22 AM

If you are talking "pre-oiler / accumulator" Try Canton. They sell different sizes and I am sure they will ship to Australia.

Also, Moroso sells an accumulator.

Good luck

REPTYL 09-10-2003 05:23 AM

Come on guys...one you fellas must know what I'm talking about.
I know Craggy babe runs one (Accusump I think).
I can remember reading on of his old threads just before he bought it.

From what I understand.
It's a cylinder that fills with engine oil when your cars oil pressure reaches a certain level. If your cars oil pressure drops, oil is forced out of the accumulator to equalise the oil pressure between you engine and the cylinder.
It also gives you instant oil pressure when you start you car.

I've lost count how many times the poor old Clevo has been tapping its little head off under full noise coming out of a quick corner or after some hard braking because of oil starvation. The extra litre I put in before racing usually does the job, but one of those accumulator babies would work a treat I reckon.

ac andy 09-10-2003 05:25 AM

Are you sure you dont just need more baffles and trapdoors in your sump?

Andy.

REPTYL 09-10-2003 05:27 AM

sorry hcollado,

I posted the last message before I had seen you reply.
I'm just finishing up at work now. So I'll check it out tomorrow.

REPTYL 09-10-2003 05:35 AM

ACAndy,

Maybe.

I had to modify the sump years ago to get ground clearance.
It has baffles and all that crap, but I have lost some of it capacity.
I think that’s more of the issue.

ac andy 09-10-2003 05:39 AM

I had a one tonner years ago with a 253 that did exactly the same thing on the tight right handers at Phillip Island. It blew smoke and sh!t everywhere and rattled its head off, then when it settled down it was fine. Just had a sh!tty factory sump on it.

Andy.

Jack Zupan 09-10-2003 06:25 PM

Maybe your question was answered and I missed it. Try this

http://www.accusump.com/

I think they sell direct.

Jack Z.

pneall 09-11-2003 12:03 AM

High Energy Sumps in Melb sell them. There not cheap though.

Regards,

Phil Neall

REPTYL 09-11-2003 12:33 AM

I spoke to Hi Energy in Melb.
They said they do not sell them and gave me the number for Rocket Industries. (they sold Moroso units $660).

REPTYL 09-11-2003 12:53 AM

If you install a manual system, does that mean you need to activate the system yourself once you notice a drop in oil presure.
That seems a little strange to me. I must be wrong.

So what's the difference between the accusump manual and automatic. (besides the price).

Rebel1 09-11-2003 02:40 AM

Hey Jason...This page explains the difference
http://www.accusump.com/acc_tech_valve.html

You dont have to worry about the oil pressure..thats handled automatically.

The manual option you have to turn on before starting the engine..that then pre-oils.....and off when you're about to switch off...that keeps pressured oil in the accumulator ..all ready for next you start.

Now..hurry up and buy one....try it and if it's any good....I might get one.

Nuffin like having a guinea pig try things for ya. :D :D

REPTYL 09-11-2003 03:08 AM

Love the guinea pig theory.
Unfortunatly, a guinea pig salary doesn't cut it in the big world of Cobra modification.(ie :I'm broke).

I still haven't seen any Aussie dollars mentioned anywhere.

Rebel1 09-11-2003 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by REPTYL

I still haven't seen any Aussie dollars mentioned anywhere.
Dont look for any from me mate..all mine are sitting on stands in the shed. :D

BMK 09-11-2003 06:01 AM

Hey :3DSMILE:

Don't yopu realise that you guys are keeping Jason from getting home :confused:

Think I may try for a job there. :eek:

Cheers :3DSMILE:

Bernie

Bernie Knight

Mt. Gambier South Australia.

BMK 09-11-2003 06:03 AM

Bryan %/

I see you are looking around.

Will catch up soon I am currently in Melbourne working on the car. :eek:

Cheers

Bernie :3DSMILE:

750hp 09-14-2003 06:37 PM

Jeez - you guys talk too much. I'm away from a computer for a few days, and you're already on the second page of this thread......

El Presidente - Like Jack and Les have already mentioned, the Accusump.com website tells you all about the oil accumulators.
Moroso make a copy of the Canton product (as you know), but if you were a true Victorian you should have looked at VICTORIAN Performance Wholesale..... http://www.vpw.com.au/asp/product_pa...sub_cat_id=719

You might like the price listed there a little more than Rocket's pricing. Mr Rocket (G.C.) has to try to make as much as he can to keep all his Top Fuel cars running...

I would definitely recommend one of these accumulators. The electric valve cost a bit more and flows a little bit less, but you don't have to worry about opening the valve before starting and closing it before turning the engine off. If you can cope with remembering those two chores (and I've heard that SOME Victorians may be capable of remembering them), then I'd go with the manual valve.

While the engine's running, it's the pressure difference between the stored pressurised oil and the engine's oil pressure that determines whether oil will be flowing to the accusump or your engine. Example - your engine makes 60psi at a steady cruise. Your Accusump will therefore hold 3 litres of oil at 60psi in the canister. If you go hard into a corner and you uncover the oil pump pickup, your engine oil pressure will drop. When the engine oil pressure drops, the piston inside the canister pushes as much oil as is necessary to equalise the pressures. The hope is that your oil pump will start working long before you have used the entire 3 litres out of the Accusump.

In any case, I used a Canton road-race style sump with all the trap doors and other assorted scrapers and windage trays etc, etc. I hope that I won't ever have to voercome oil surge, but I'm confident the Accusump will do the job. I just love the way you can have good oil pressure before you've even turned the motor on. That's gotta help the engine have a long and happy life.

Neil from the Young Ones says in the Castrol ads that engines have feelings to, so I'm just doing my bit to make my engine comfortable %/

REPTYL 09-15-2003 07:00 AM

Thankyou for the helpful input Craig.

Well there you go right under my little Victorian nose all this time.
Still a little on the expensive side though.
I reckon Aussie Mike Magiver could whip one together for under 20 bucks.
Give him an old fire extinguisher some plumber’s fittings and a kiddies balloon.
He'd have one up and running within the hour.
I think he's busy at the moment, some little Cobra project or something.
Anyway if someone finds one for under $200 give me a yell.

Aussie Mike 09-15-2003 04:39 PM

Jason,

They do turn up at swap meets from time to time. I was looking arround for one at the Sheparton swap on the week end.

They are starting to hold swap meets at Calder raceway lately and I'll be taking a load of stuff there. I'll probably have a site at the Ballarat swap as well. I'll keep an eye out for you if you like.

Cheers