Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   1 Professionally built PVC-CAI going cheap! (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/45491-1-professionally-built-pvc-cai-going-cheap.html)

REPTYL 09-19-2003 12:15 PM

1 Professionally built PVC-CAI going cheap!

Howdy all,

Well it’s 04:15 in the morning, I’m at work and I’m board.

Thought I’d share what I’ve been working on over the last week or so.
Judy’s be hassling me for years about the state of the Cobras engine bay.
It’s not all that bad by anyone’s standards, but isn’t quite up to the over all standard of the car with the bonnet closed.
So I’ve done something that I said I would never do. I’ve gone and bought some fancy, shinny under bonnet jobbies. You know the chrome braided lines the shinny blue fittings (all that crap).
I hope Judy doesn’t read this, cause it doesn’t look to bad, probably should have done it years ago. I got the stainless header tank polished and nice chrome cap for the top.
Took the alternator apart and had the alloy polished and painted the center bit and the front pulley assembly blue (looks great).

So the only bit letting the bay down now is the eight metres of 75mm tufflex hose winding its way through the engine bay ducting cold air from the front of the car in to my two throttle bodies.
I’ll cut a long story short (probably to late). The throttle bodies hang out each side of the engine and have the CAI running to the front of the car.
What I want to do is: using 75mm tubing, put a 180 degree bend on each side running to the back of the intake assembly once back there I want to bring it up and over the top of the throttle bodies to draw air from the bonnet scope.
The main problems I’ve come across is the space between the top of the intake system and the underside of the bonnet and the lip on the bonnet that under laps the engine bay when closed.

My first attempt looked fantastic. To save on money I thought I would build an air box at the rear of the throttle body from PVC. Paint it the same colour as the TBs, fit an air filter and run polished stainless tubes in to it from either side. I got very excited when I found a pluming part (used in a toilet system I think) that had a 45 deg 100mm bend running in to a letterbox shaped tube. With a little bit of modification to the underside it fitted on top of the TB’s fantastically. Only problem was the 100mm outlet at the rear left no room for the pluming needed to get the bends flowing from the TB’s in to the 100mm tube or in to an airbox system. (SCARP ONE PVC CAI PROTOTYPE). A whole 42 bucks down the tube. I’ll have to take a photo and post it before I bin the scope, it looks cool.

I’ve been plotting the next step and I think it’s going to be a winner. But I’ll share that at a later date, maybe with photos (but only if nobody laughs at the PVC CAI)

I’ll just add this bit to end of the post.

Should put it over the top for the longest post of the week.
And that’s saying something with Bernie working his magic.:)

And did you notice. A whole email without hanging it on the QLD boys.
I figure Wakefield is getting close, they may gang up and take me out.:eek:
Still another couple of weeks to go. Their tiny little brains will have forgotten about all the nasties before then.:LOL:

ps
TB - Throttle Body
CAI - Cold Air Intake
(someone would have asked):rolleyes:

PCC 09-19-2003 01:05 PM

All sounds very professional, but I haven't got a clue what you're on about.

Picture please.

PCC (Peter)

REPTYL 09-19-2003 01:19 PM

yea...it's coming.

Should have just posted a picture, and shut up.

would have saved the RSI.:)

Rebel1 09-19-2003 05:55 PM

Where's my phone?

Quote:

Originally posted by REPTYL

I hope Judy doesn’t read this, cause it doesn’t look to bad, probably should have done it years ago. I got the stainless header tank polished and nice chrome cap for the top.

Dial Dial
Ring Ring
Hello Judy, do you know what that fella of your's is up to? :LOL:

oops!

Mrs. REPTYL 09-20-2003 01:59 AM

Well Judy has read this. Oh I know what Jase is up to...to no good...#hit stirring everyone. Gee he gives you Queenslanders a hard time doesn't he :)
I was getting sick and tired going to the Nationals each year...embarrassed if Jason opened the bonnet. It sure looks better but still has quite a way to go. What I can't understand is that I am one of these rare 'woman' who practically gives Jason an open cheque book to fix it up...but he doesn't. Go figure!!! Hi Hun I hope you get some work done tonight. I noticed many a late hour on the forum with Bernie. Can't wait to give you guys a hiding at Wakefield.

REPTYL 09-20-2003 02:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No use giving me an open cheque book if there's no money in the account:confused:

750hp 09-20-2003 06:38 AM

Jason, your description reminds me of another induction related product on the market. Ron's Flying Toilet..... http://www.ronsfuel.com/page2.html

I know that you're really just wanting to copy my bonnet, but are too shy to ask..... ;)

Why don't you just replace the flex ducting with some shiny polised stainless piping, and everyone will think that there are a couple of turbos hiding down there.

I'm full of good ideas for you....

REPTYL 09-20-2003 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah yeah..very funny...:LOL:

Flying toilet........

You wont be "taking the piss" or "hanging sh!t" on Mk11.%/

BEHOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aussie Mike 09-20-2003 07:45 AM

Jason, Can we swap wives?

Craig, There was a flying toilet injection setup on a Rousch style Cleveland manifold at last weekends Sheparton swap meet. It looked pretty flush but I didn't ask how much he wanted for it.

Cheers

Aussie Mike 09-20-2003 07:48 AM

Jason,

LPG loves cold air. I reckon you'll get some decent power gains from that setup.

Cheers

REPTYL 09-20-2003 07:58 AM

Already run 2 80mm flex pipes to the front of the car.
And you're right when I did that 3 years ago I added about 25kw to the rear wheels. Before that I was running both throttle bodies through a single VN airbox with a K&N.

REPTYL 09-20-2003 08:03 AM

Quote:

Jason, Can we swap wives?
Send photos along with her CV to my PO Box.:D

750hp 09-21-2003 02:54 AM

Jason, while Mk11 doesn't conjure up immediate thoughts of toilets (especially flush looking ones, Mike;) ), I can't help but feel that it might be quicker and easier for you to pay a visit to Robert Logan at Roaring Forties. Grab a set of his GT40 exhaust headers, rest them on top of your manifold and you'll have a similar look to what you've drawn up. Speaking of your drawings, tell me that you didn't do that on work time..... :rolleyes: :eek:

Mike, did you come home from the swap meet with a truckload of goodies?

REPTYL 09-21-2003 03:06 AM

Quote:

Grab a set of his GT40 exhaust headers, rest them on top of your manifold
Is this pay-back for the "downpipe comment" I made at your expense a few months ago.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Speaking of your drawings, tell me that you didn't do that on work time.....
It all done on work time my friend... If you don't see me post for a couple of days, I'll be on my rostered days off.:3DSMILE:

Aussie Mike 09-21-2003 04:27 AM

Hi Craig,

I had amasing self control at the swap and I only bought 1 Cobra model for $25. It was a 1/18 scale Ertl one and a bit of a bargain. I've got 13 Shelby related models now and I've run out of cabinet space on my allocated side of the wall unit. Might have to sneak a couple into the other side when the wife isn't looking.

There was some cool stuff at the swap despite the crappy weather. The guy from Aussie Desert Cooler has his stand on the site ajoining ours so I've got my order in for an aluminium radiator and one of the nice aluminium header tanks he's making now. So there goes all my swap meet $$$.

Jason, it might look better if you make a flat oval section rather than 4 individual tubes over the top. Probably flow better too.

Cheers

REPTYL 09-21-2003 04:36 AM

I'd love to but how or where and how much.
I only have 2 inches at the back of the thottle bodies to bring the bend down.
How do I bend a flat oval 45 of 90 degrees and how do I flow 2 round 3 inch pipes in to 1 big flat oval?

If it can be done I will do it.

Better be quick if you have the answers cause work starts on it Tuesday.

Aussie Mike 09-21-2003 05:09 AM

Easy Peasey, Get some 2" mandrel bends in the angles needed to run up and over your throttle bodies just like if you were doing 4 of them as originally planned. Once you have made 1 run up split the pipe lengthwise into 2 equal halves. Now from some sheet cut 2 strips the width you want the oval to be and bend them to follow the contour of your 2" pipe. Weld the halves of the 2" pipe to the edges of the sheet to make a flat tube.

With your 3" outlet pipes, get a piece of 2" or smaller steel bar and clamp it in your vice. Use this as a stake to oval and flare the ends of the 3" pipes into a 2" wide oval flare. You will be amazed at what you can achieve with some judicious use of a hammer and a variety of stakes and punches. Shape the pipes to form a collector on the end of your wide oval pipe section and weld them in place. Rather than make the whole intake in one piece, I would join sections of the whole thing using short pieces of rubber hose. This will make it mush easier to work on and it'll give you a bit more tolerance for your fabricated bits.

I guess it's a bit confusing in print so I'll draw a picture of what I'm thinking if you like.

Cheers

750hp 09-21-2003 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike - I went and did a trial fit for Jason. It all fits!!! :)

Aussie Mike 09-21-2003 05:13 AM

I would also suggest you do the whole thing in mild steel tube. It's a lot easier to work and shape with with basic tools and welding equipment. Once it's finished you can get it HPC coated and it will look like aluminium any way.

Cheers

Aussie Mike 09-21-2003 05:14 AM

OK, Who's going to be the first to have a set of Zoomies sticking out of the hood? :D

Cheers