Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-26-2003, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     
Default Finaly got my VIN number

Hi Guys
Dont get on the forum much these days due to working long hours but just needed to tell someone that after nearly 12 months of problems with the RTA (long story) i finaly got my VIN number so now I will have to pull my finger out and finish all those little bits of so I can have it registed for Xmas and show the local Rice racer boys what a real performance car looks like.

PS: Us NSW members seem to be a bit out numbered these days so I had better stir the pot at the next club meeting.

Craig W

Old 11-27-2003, 12:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Craig,

Congratulations!!!

Did you get it through with the Willwood master cylinders and the balance bar setup in place?

Cheers

Old 11-27-2003, 03:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Congratulations

Well done Craig, now you just need to finish it.

I would like to hear the long story of the troubles you had regarding the VIN number, it may help when it comes time to get mine.

Does your car run with the side pipes? when you went for the VIN approval?

It would be good if I could meet you and your car when I see Ian on about 11-12 december.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hey Craig..Congrats mate

Seems Santa is gonna bring you a nice pressy

Do tell us about the trials and tribulations with the RTA.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Well done getting a VIN ! Seems there is quite a few of us with CR's with similiar setup. I would also like to hear about your your dramas with RTA and hopefully avoid some myself.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     

Well were to start with the RTA / Engineer?

I think the only way to start this story is:

Once upon a time my first engineer said to me after getting my car ready for his second inspection during the build process that he has decided he will no longer be doing any more cars so I should go of and find myself someone else to be my engineer as he will not pay the large fee that the RTA wants so he can be put on the inspection register.
So in October I go on my quest to find another M/E as it turns out I find one very close to my home which is good until he turns up and say's " hummm those side pipes have to go and that Motec and those wilwood brakes and that balance bar bias system and those really low suspension springs but other than that every thing looks good".

Well by this stage I am in shock and try to explain that the previous M/E had no problems with all these items.
His reply "tuff" and of he go's by this time my aura from not being a happy camper is expanding rapidly so the dog is hideing in the back shed the cats bolted over the fence and i am walking around the back yard mumbling to myself.
At this point I locked the garage door and did not go back in there for 2 months, when I could finaly go into the garage with out feeling nauseous I set about changing my exaust, computer, wilwoods and suspension but not the brake bias set up as told this is the same system as robnel has used for ages.
So next I get a call from my M/E in november 2002 and he tells me the RTA said if you have your car ready for engineers approval by December 2002 that it will fall under the old RTA rules and every thing will be sweet because in 2003 everything is changing and there will be new criteria to be meet in getting your car passed.
Well I worked on it to all hours of the night every night of the week to the point were my wife was thinking about applying for a widows pension I called in all my favours from my freinds until they would not answer there phones or open there front doors and virtualy camped out at the auto electricians and exaust guys shops to make sure they got the job done on time.
Finaly the day came and every thing past brake, noise and every other test it had to comply with so I am thinking i will have my car registered in early january 2003 boy was I mistaken.
At this point my memory is a bit hazey as I think my brain went in to self preservation mode as this was the only way I would ever have my cobra registerd with out being put into jail for ringing someones neck.
Here is the last 10 months.

April. took this long for the RTA to even look at the at the file

June.They decide I will have to do more brake tests as per the new regulations which started in 2003 even after they had said I only need to comply with 2002 regs.

July. they are not happy with the brake set up it must run a booster so i will have to change my system.

August. changed ther mind again my original brake system is now OK.

November 26. finaly get my VIN.

What can I say? I could type exactly how I felt during the last 12 months but my shrink said its not healthy for me to scream profanities and hit peole with a peice of 2x4 so all i will say is thank you for the experiance RTA.

I am now going to meditate for the next 2 hours to get my blood pressure back down.

Craig W
Old 11-28-2003, 01:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Good to see that you finally got the VIN. If you don't mind me asking, who was the engineer that finally passed it?
He didn't happen to have a workshop at Wyong did he?

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 12-11-2003, 04:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllll......

I could and should let fly with some home truths here, late at night with most of the Samuel goneski. However I am so darn happy to have it on the road now that i no longer care. I had to relocate from the Central Coast after blowing my stack one day with similar problems to Craig.

It is going now.
It is registered now.
It sounds HOT
It looks HOT
It goes HARD
And I no longer care about the RTA

Not only that, but I have found the RIGHT person to fool with my LS1.

I will post some pics of one HOT RED COBRA when I can remove my mates leg from the sidepipe!!! Actually, I will just send through one sided pics as I do not think it will EVER come off!!!

Cheers to all you NSW gents who try. I hope what Craig, myself and (maybe) some others have done makes it easier for ya'll, but I doubt it and will vote Liberal next time because of this! I HATE beaurocracy.

Love from Sloth
Old 12-11-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

You diplomatic SOB Sloth

You're so diplomatic you could live in the Sunshine state..When you relocated, why didn't ya move up here?

We really dont mind those ermmm..Ch..CH.....well you know

Congrats mate....good to hear
Old 12-12-2003, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Les. I still own a house in Corinda, and will possibly retire there in about 20 years. Then again, Coffs Harbour is alright, and after barking up the Dorrigo Range this morning in the same said red-hot Cobra, I feel there are some good roads here....

Next trip is taking the wife for lunch in Armidale.

Damn it has some toe!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: