Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2004, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Please help Daytona/ Importing questions

Hi, Im new here and I would just like to say its Im glad i joined this forum.

So heres the deal...
My wife is from Australia and weve been in Canada for several years and the time has come for us to move to Australia permenantly.
Now I have a very understanding wife that knows how car obsessed I am, so she said take whatever money I have/can get and get whatever I want.
So now whatever this car is will be our only vehicle (I can live with that) and she used to love it when all I used as a daily driver was my group 2 pro rally car.

Now Ill get to the point Im only looking at 2 options at this point.

1 Build my dream car...A Ford Daytona cobra coupe.
2 Or Build up my Datsun 240 Z with a v8 conversion.

My budget is not as big as I would like but its workable probably around 20,000-25,000 can.
I could do my Datsun up in this range and convert to RHD (Ill get into that in a bit)

The daytona as I see it would have to come from a kit like the one offered by Factory five $16,900 plus use mustang parts to finish finishing this car would probably run me around an aditional $10,000 to get it on the road.

So heres some of my questions...

Is it realistic for me to Build one of these Daytona coupe kits and ship to Australia and be able to rego it etc?
would it be wiser if I go with the daytona kit to build it in Australia? (Im considering doing it here because Ford parts are cheap here and plentiful)
Is there any suppliers building a Daytona Kit in Australia?

And this question would relate to my Z....
If I go the Z route how hard is it to get Rego for a car such as a modified Datsun with roll cage, V8, racing suspension, large tires etc?

sorry for the ramble but any suggestions or insight would be nice.
Cheers
shawn:
Old 01-15-2004, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

Squid,

this will only answer a part of your question. I would think the best possible way to go would be to buy/build the car in Canada, register it and drive it in Canada for at least a year and one day. then you can bring it in as a personal import and almost get automatic registration (I stress, almost).

Visit the DOTRS web site http://www.dotrs.gov.au

As for a Daytona coupe, or 240Z/V8 as a daily driver.... you must have a sturdy constitution.

Cameron
Old 01-16-2004, 02:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

If you go with the Datsun 240z then I would worry about bringing one over as they are plentiful over here, and can be converted to V8 here aswell.

I dont think you would be able to build a Daytona coupe here as the rules and regs on building kit cars are fairly strict.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Where in Aus are you looking to move too?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for your replies, Ill look over the info as to a personal import.
Were only here for another 10mos or so but Possibly if I built the car (Daytona) Then I could leave it my Dads or brothers hands for the year period and have him ship it over? I will look at the Regulations to see if thats feasible.
Well be moving closer to my wifes family Centeral coast area just north of Sydney.

cheers

Shawn
Old 01-16-2004, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Shawn - welcome to the club, and I think your move over to Australia is a wise one !

You might want to send an email to Richard Bendell via his company's general email address admin@motec.com.au Richard played a part in the design and construction of a Daytona Coupe over here. Peter Brock (the original Daytona designer) mentioned how nicely in proportion the car looked relative to other replicas.

Richard plays a significant role in the running of Motec Engine Management Systems - one of the most highly regarded racing datalogging and engine management companies in the world. As such, his budget might not be what others consider a "budget", but it's worth an email.

No doubt you would have seen the online videos of a guy named Darius with the supercharged LT1 powered Datsun ? Great stuff ! Do you really need a V8 240Z, or would you be just as happy with an RB26 powered, twin turbo monster? There are a couple of them getting around here these days, and they're VERY quick....
Old 01-16-2004, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Just thinking - does anyone know if a private import has to be converted to RHD, or can you leave it be? I know that cars over 30 years old can remain left hook, but I thought new cars still had to be converted. I thought the only benefit to private imports was that you saved a little bit of the customs costs.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

To the best of my knowledge, having done this once a few years ago. Rules are, you must convert to RHD unless the car is 30+ yr old.

The other advantage is the reciept of a private import plate for the equivalent of a roadworthy inspection.

When I registered the car I imported, I didn't even need to take it to the Rego station, just the paperwork. That can be an advantage on 'unusual' vehicles.

And of course in today's market, prices are very attractive.

Buy a Superformance with low miles in the USA - middle to high 30's US$, at our rates, under 50K Aussie. Bring it in, pay the 15% duty. Put it on the road, even with stamp duty and rego. You would have a great car on the road for less than buying a local roller

Or buy a Kirham or Shelby for that matter!!

Cameron
Old 01-17-2004, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #901 Superformance 427cid 540hp!
Not Ranked     
Talking I could help out!

Shawn I would be willing to store the daytona while you are living on another continent! Anything to help a fellow Canadian! I wouldn't drive it honest!
I think its a great move as well! Say so long to arctic winters forever! Best of luck. Rod
Old 01-17-2004, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Sounds like you will be around Port Stephens? If so then you are moveing to a beautiful part of the world.

I am fairly certain that private imports dont have the same regulations in the NT as other states, why I do not know but suspect it has something to do with pine gap.

Alot of new L/H drive cars on the roads around here (some real ugly ones too)

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-17-2004, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you for so many replies everyone!

Im still doing heaps of research and the clock is ticking......

My main reasons for wanting to import are; The cost as Im able to buy many things alot cheaper here than in Au and hoping to not have as much hassle in Getting the car on the road once im there (Ive heard it can be a bit of a nightmare with modified vehicles, geesh you should see what guys get away with around here.)

I will check out the lead on the daytona , drool drool and see if anything is feasable in australia.

Im also fortunate that my wife and I are fairly simple (not as in retarded eh!) But we dont care about having an expensive house or furniture (like nows the time to act in case that ever changes)
It is entirely possible for me to invest quite some money in this project over time if I have to (that would depend if we decided to buy a sailboat though, but probably wont happen)
And since I wont be living in the mountains anymore I wont be spending near as much on Alpine climbing.

oopps sorry for the ramble!

Oh and Rodney thanks for the offer, kinda made me think of Farris Bueller leaving the Ferrari with parking addendant.

If I do Decide to do the 240 route I would still like to do the V8 conversion because.........well it would kick ass eh

I would do the same motor in a z as i would do for a Daytona
A 351 block with Aluminium heads (32valve would be ideal) a 302 crank (so like its a 302 eh) But is much stabler for high revving when i use 6" rods giving a 2:1 rod stroke ratio ,like perfect for building big revs eh then i would go full roller evrything with solid lifters TWM fuel injection kit
(that they tell me with 50mm throttle boddies all 8 will pull 8000 rpm no problem) Blah Blah anyway I would build it to have about an 8k shift point and go for reliability over HP/Kw hell it would produce enough anyway and my economy would be not that bad.
Still very streetable.
Anyway if I did build a daytona in Oz what would a motor like that cost me down under?
I could probably do turn key for about 10-12k including the Injection kit which is $4595 Us with injectors (ouch, but looks so cool)
Well I guess thats enough rambling for one post.

BTW Were going to be in Umina (sp?) just to clarify

Cheers
shawn

Last edited by squid; 01-21-2004 at 09:38 PM..
Old 01-18-2004, 12:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Where ever your getting the 8TB setup for the engine at that price can you check if they do a kit for the LS1 engine?

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-18-2004, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all

I think that Richards Daytona car is in the shed next to the
"Roarin Forties" GT40 shed in Melbourne.

Perhaps, Robert Logan at 'Roarin Forties' can put some light on the import of a finished Daytona.

I first met Rob about 7 years ago just after he brought his GT40 in from England and he came down to Geelong.

He went through the registration nightmare (or was it a nightmare) so should be a help. His email address is in Kit Car.
Or Search it out under "Roarin Forties"

What about Richards Daytona....

I checked Richards Daytona out at the F1 Grand Prix last year as it was on a stand next to 'Roarin Forties' GT40 cars on display. It looked very good.

Squid - try Rob Logan for a start. If he is not to busy getting his race cars ready he will talk to you for sure.

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia

Home of "Weekend at Bernie's #2" - March 13th/14th

Driving in the sun..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 01-18-2004, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cheers everyone thanks for the ongoing information, heres the website for the 8TB set ups Ive been sourcing some out for a while Ive seen some others but havent found a source yet but Ill let everyone here know if I do. But heres the TWM site for now
http://www.twminduction.com/v8_kits/v8_kits-FR.html
Oops I was just looking and I guess they consider it a 4TB since there desighned like webbers.
Heres another source But I dont think there near as good but might have stuff your after http://gen3perf.com/

And heres some very fine looking units but I have been unable to get any more info besides whats right here but these guys might be the ticket. mmmmm sweeeet... http://gen3perf.com/

Well I hope some of this helps you guys out cheers

shawn
Old 01-18-2004, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

http://www.carbs.net/fuel.htm oops that last link was a duplicate heres the right one
Shawn