Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC. 306 Windsor, TFS Track Heat heads, X303 cam, TFS Upper & lower manifold. Accufab t/b, 24 lb inj's, Autronic ECU. Tremec 5 speed,
Not Ranked     
Default New Tremecs

Hi gentlemen (and others) and a Happy New Year!

I note some debate about a 'new' Tremec 5 speed. Check out the TTC homepage and look at their January 2004 press release of the TKO 500 (500 ft/lbs)and the TKO 600 (600 ft/lbs). Some nice cutaways and spec's there indicate them to be the same or similar case as the 3550/TKO but with stronger innards where it matters. Also includes their own neater rear shifter.

I'm about to install my new ('poverty pack') Tremec 3550 in place of the ever faithful Toploader. Pulled the Toploader out last night and will be machining (shortening) the input shaft of the Tremec this week. Then to install it, locate a speedo drive, put in some slippery stuff and away we go.

Just won't seem right making that extra gearshift...

Stay well guys.
Chris
Old 02-01-2004, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Chris..thanks for the word about this.

I'm about to purchase a new tranny and knowing about these new tremec versions will be of great interest to me.

What rear gears you running and what size rear tyres?
Old 02-01-2004, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

....and the website address is ???

I thought it used to be ttctransmissions.com, but that's not it anymore.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

750hp, Check out www.x2cmotorsports.com. Under new products, TKO V2. This one handles big HP & torque and is still street friendly.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys, these look great. Go to www.ttcautomotive.com/English/news/20news.asp and check out the release. I took my TKO out and put my big in and out toploader back in because I did'nt like the gearing. The new 600 with the .82 overdrive looks like the one I want.

COBRAMAN484
Old 02-01-2004, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

The tremec has always been a good street/economy tranny. I've always thought the gearing was never right for a high hp/low weight car, as the gear spacing was too wide, wider than a wide ratio toploader, and the spread between 1st gear and 5th was so large that it made one of these two gears, depending upon the rear end ratio, unusable. With the 4617 TKO as listed, www.ttcautomotive.com/English/news/20news.asp ,
the ratio's are similar to a wide ratio toploader 2.78/1.93/1.36/1, but the toploader gear spreads are more even in % drop. Using a wide ratio toploader, with appropriate rear end gearing, you really don't need overdrive, so I'm not sure how valuable the .82 overdrive is even in this new tranny.

I think if Tremec made their trannny with 1st through 4th similar to, or the same as a close ratio toplolader 2.32/1.69/1.29/1, and then had the .82 overdrive, that would be the most ideal for a high hp/low weight car.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 02-02-2004, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC. 306 Windsor, TFS Track Heat heads, X303 cam, TFS Upper & lower manifold. Accufab t/b, 24 lb inj's, Autronic ECU. Tremec 5 speed,
Not Ranked     

Rebel 1.
My diff is (now) 3.54 to 1 with the Jag locker . I re - geared it pre Xmas with new Dana 44 gears which are readily available. Was 3.07 to 1. Tyres are 255 x 16" Goodrich's.

By the way. Anyone contemplating putting in new Dana 44 gears will need to note that these come with a fine spline pinion input unlike the Jag which is coarse. If you want to use a flange as do most of us instead of a yoke, you'll need to have a new flange machined with the female flange to suit the Dana gears. Give me a call if I can help.

I might make a post on the topic as I learned a lot through the process.

Chris
Old 02-02-2004, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Chris, thanks for the advice.

I've currently got a Jag 3.31 Powr Lok diff and running 295/50/15 rear tyres.

With the 393 stroker that TKO600 looks just the ticket.
The 2.87 first should be more usable than the 3.27 and the .82 fifth should give me about 2100rpm at about 100Klm.

Whats your thoughts on the above given your experience with your set up?.

Thanks again
Old 02-02-2004, 10:24 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Dave,
I totally agree with your assessment and refreshing to hear. Until such a 5-speed is available with the same gearing as a 1-4 TL, TL is still my choice. In fact, I may go back to 3.08 rear gears since the the 'ol FE/BB torques right through it like a slingshot.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Chris:
Have been talking to local Tremec reps here in the northwest and from what limited information they have it looks like this may be a viable choice for the cobras.
They are supposed to be doing a news release about the new 500/600 units on Friday so I'll be keeping an eye out.
Best guess I've been able to get is March/April for availability but that's cast in jello so it remains to be seen.
DonC
Old 02-03-2004, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon, windsor 408 stroker, tremec. Also GSX008
Not Ranked     

I plugged those tremec TKO600 ratios into my spreadsheet and the rpms look to stay nicely in the powerband at each gear change. Wish it had been available when I built my car. I may even make the change yet.

Anyone have any idea of pricing?
Old 02-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wilf:
I asked the tech rep at ttc when I spoke with him this morning and, while he wouldn't commit to a hard figure, estimated in the same range as the TKO and TKOII.
With Peter and the ERA elves supposed to be starting on mine around April I'm hoping that the timing will work out to get one.
DonC
Old 02-03-2004, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR4067, 393W
Not Ranked     

One of the CC advertisers, Mike Forte, would be a source of solid info on anything Tremec. He may even be able to give you exact price and availability.

I have the .82 5th gear and love it. It does increase cruise RPM somewhat, but hey, life's a compromise.

Ed
Old 02-03-2004, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Duane,

Actually, that 5-speed already exists, in a way that is. A Richmond 5-speed is kind of like a close ratio top-loader with a .82 overdrive. If you couple a Richmond 5-speed, substituting the 3.04 first instead of the standard 3.27, and combine it with a 3.07 rear, it would be comparable to using a close ratio "toploader 5 speed" with a 0.82 OD coupled to a 3.54 rear.

You can special order the richmond with the 3.04 first, keeping 2nd through 5th the same, making the 1st to 2nd shift not as drastic. I almost did, and in fact, I currently run a wide ratio TL with a 3.07 rear with the idea that if I thought the ratio's were too far spaced, I could just swap the tranny to a close ratio 5 speed richmond / jerico / G-force of similar ratio's without changing my rear end gears, for both performance and some economy. The wide ratio TL with the 3.07 rear is perfect though.

The jerico's and G-forces are available in many ratio's to suit anybody's taste, but expect to spend $4000-$5500. The Richmond is alot cheaper, but not as good of a tranny.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 02-03-2004 at 01:46 PM..
Old 04-14-2004, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry to dig up ancient history but have any of you seen the new 5 speed Tremecs (500 and 600 ft/lbs etc)? I've yet to see them advertised and at what price. USA feedback needed here.

Is it just my imagination or are we seeing a lot more more Aussie Cobras getting close to registration?

Regards to all
Chris
Old 04-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chris:
The latest I've heard from Standard Transmission and Gear in Texas is that the 500 series are due sometime in the latter part of May and the 600 series in late June or July.
A real bummer since I was hoping to have one in time for it to be included in my ERA build but with those types of lag times I'm going to have to go with the TKOII as originally planned. The 600's ratios would have been a lot more to my liking but after a year's wait I'm not inclined to extend it by that much.
DonC