Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2004, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     
Default Paint - 2 Pac or Acrylic

Having just had a deep and meaningful discussion with my spray painter I raised the question which paint type gives the best finish, 2 Pac or Acrylic?

My Cobra is 2 Pac and is to shortly receive some tlc in the paint department to get it back to top tip condition.

I, suitably swayed by my own finish, commented that 2 Pac gives the best overall appearance although my sprayer disagreed and said Acrylic was the better of the two and had the added bonus that it was easier to apply.

What do you guys think?

One thing we did agree on was the harlequin finishes you see these days. Without a doubt these finishes look amazing (just look at a certain National winning Cobra), but try and match in with a resprayed area is a nightmare.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Acrylic is definitely easier to apply however 2 pack gives a much harder more durable paint finish. The painters probably don't like it because of this as it's so much harder to buff the clear. If sprayed properly though it'll go on really shiny from the gun.

One thing to check out before you go ahead is that some different paint systems don't like going over each other. I believe it's OK to put 2 pack over acrylic but it might not be OK the other way arround.

I painted my bike with Acrylic colour coats and then used a 2 pack clear and it turned out pretty good for a back yard job.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 04-06-2004 at 06:10 PM..
Old 04-06-2004, 06:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Generally agree with you Mike, but if you prep back to the primer should there be a problem with acrylic / 2 Pack combination?

The other thing with respraying panels to get that perfect finish you need to respray a whole panel or at least to a cut line (such as the stripes). I'll end up with half my car resprayed for just 3 dings!!!

Moral of the story - if dinging your car ding it in the same area!
Old 04-07-2004, 03:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

From what I remember when I was working in a paint shop it is ok as Mike says, 2pak over acrylic but no good the other way.

You would be suprised just how much you need to paint to get a color to blend in when repairing a dent.

I have painted cars useing both acrylic & 2k and my preferance is definatly 2k when useing metalic colors as it is easier to get a good shine straight of the gun.

I prefer acrylic when useing solid colors as I personally found it harder to get a good consistant shine useing 2k, easier to use acrylic and plenty of cutting and buffing.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-07-2004, 04:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hmmmmmm..am I gonna be the odd one out....

Pete...given the color of your car....together with that awful perfectionist attitude you pomm...ermm..english gents have, then I'm gonna say you might be dis-satisfied with a partial respray.

For sure..it's gotta be 2k paint..no argument...would not even consider acrylic....any painter who recommended acrylic to me can take his spray gun home.

The thing that concerns me about your question Pete, is that dark blue you have, and how long it has been on?. All metallic top coats are blu$$y difficult to match and can change color (fade) somewhat over time.

I've seen a car done by two painters working on different sides with different makes of guns and using metallic paint from the same tin. The color and charactor of the paint was slightly different but enough to be seen by a critical eye.

Has to do with the way a painter lays the paint down.

Hey..I know...why dont you paint it green?...Last I saw it it was so blu$$y low you can park it in long grass and no-one will even see the car.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I agree with Les in that it is gunna need alot of painting to try and blend it in right.

Go on paint the whole car again

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass, XR8 5.0L EFI, T5, XJS LSD Rear end.
Not Ranked     

Hi All,

I have been doing a bit of research with regard to paint choice as well for when ours enters the paint shop.

This is what I have heard from various paint suppliers and panel beaters; 2 pac is a "harder" paint that could cause the fibreglass painted body to crack as it won't give or flex. One of the big paint suppliers also said that 2pack contains those nasty chemicals that are extremely poisoness to the operator applying it.

Acrylic paint is easier to apply and easier to touch up if need be especially if you use a recognised paint code/formula. They are all suggesting to use the acrylic clear coat over the top to give it a spectacular finish.

Its properly a way off for us yet, however its food for thought.

Have a great Easter!

Cheers
Lyn
Old 04-07-2004, 01:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Les,

Perfection is never reached - that it si why we are always spending on these cars.

Also, did your mother never say that blue and green never goes

The paint (Glasurite Galaxy blue) has been on for less than 3 years.

As you know, my Yorkshire background dictates that I am miserly with my money and as such my terms are "not happy - no pay!" That way if I get half of the car sprayed for nothing, the other half will be done for the price of the initial spray - too easy!

The sprayer intends spraying a test panel first, then respray the front and back quarter panels up to the stripes and under the door / boot lid (if that makes sense).

I'll be at Macleans Bridge on 09 May 2004. If you come along and see me smiling then the job was a good one. If you can't find me, then not good news.

Oh, its been a while since you've seen my cruiser - its now out of the grass and reaching for the sky.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynmac

Hi All,

I have been doing a bit of research with regard to paint choice as well for when ours enters the paint shop.

This is what I have heard from various paint suppliers and panel beaters; 2 pac is a "harder" paint that could cause the fibreglass painted body to crack as it won't give or flex. One of the big paint suppliers also said that 2pack contains those nasty chemicals that are extremely poisoness to the operator applying it.

Acrylic paint is easier to apply and easier to touch up if need be especially if you use a recognised paint code/formula. They are all suggesting to use the acrylic clear coat over the top to give it a spectacular finish.

Its properly a way off for us yet, however its food for thought.

Have a great Easter!

Cheers
Lyn
Hiya Lynn...sorta true in regard to acrylic being easier to touch up..but thats about all.

The 2K paints are extremely flexible, much more so than the gel coat on ya car now. Let me assure you that the paint (any paint) wont cause ya glass body to crack.

As to 2K being "nasty stuff"..it sure is...but...I'm not gonna apply it..thats why painters have spray booths and air supply masks etc...once cured..its fine and wont hurt you.

Sure..painters, if they can, will try to talk you away from 2K paints because it IS nasty stuff, but more important to them...it takes more time in the spray booth because it has to cure before you can do anything with it..painters like to get a car in the booth...spray it...cook it...get it out and start the next.

For me...it's gonna be 2k paints and if a painter displays any objection then he doesn't get to spend my money at the pub.

Paint to me is like makeup on a lady...the better the quality, the longer it lasts....the more expert the applicator, the more glamorous the job. More to the point, the stuff hides a lot of sins and can turn a sows ear into a silk purse.

OOpsy...why do I have a habit of saying the wrong thing.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

I've only spoken to a couple of painters. The one I am going with is a friend.

Apparently 2 pak is thicker and helps fill in pin holes etc in the glass. Its also more resistant to scratching.

The DRB manual says not to bake the car in an oven after painting. But its OK to do so before painting. Apparently heat will bring any air bubles in the glass to the surface.

Regards
Old 04-08-2004, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Exactly right cameron...when I say cook in a spray booth...I mean keep it at the controlled temperature till the paint dries/cures.

Not cook it as in cooking the body to remove bubbles under the gel coat.

Cheers
Old 04-08-2004, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Ideally the body should be left in the sun to cure thoroughly for a few months before paint. But even then there is a chance there are going to be pockets in it that will pop up just to spoil your imaculate new paint job.

I swear body work must be a black art.

Cheers

Old 04-19-2004, 10:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well,

The car's dropped off and being treated for its cosmetic makeover.

Agains't Les's advice, it is being sprayed with acrylic with clear coat finish and I am assured you it is compatible with previously sprayed 2-pac.

The paint product is by Cobra (ironic).

Well, either I've been fed a dumb steer or some of you guys are misguided - time will tell.

Apparently what does take time is the glass repairs (24 hrs between topside and underside and then a further 24 hrs before spraying)