Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Ebay purchases

Hey there everyone, I have started to purchase some bits and pieces from ebay but and would like to know how do you go about paying for items and getting then sent to you?

The only other time I have bought something from ebay it was in Melbourne so I just sent money to mum and she got the parts.

How do I go about paying for these items and ensure they get sent?
How do I know how much is postal charges?
1 item I have purchased is in the States, what is a rough idea on postal cost? (shift assy for T56 box)
Another item I bought (4 amber & 2 red lights) the seller says I have to pay GST? is this correct? they are a business/company.

Thanks in advance for any help or info.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:06 AM
GEAR GRINDER CUM LAUDE
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1560 w/ Ford Racing [RDI/AFR/RPM] Alum. 427CI - 575HP & TKO
Not Ranked     

USE "PAYPAL" AND SET UP THE ACCOUNT USING A CREDIT CARD LIKE AMERICAN EXPRESS VISA OR MASTERCARD WHICH WILL GIVE YOU INSTANT CREDIT IF THE ITEM HAS NOT BEEN DELIVERED. ALSO CHECK THE SELLER'S FEEDBACK.
You need to be carefull on some of the items, as these could be scams - just remember, if the deal seem to good to be true, it isn't a deal for you.
I have had extreemly good luck in all of my purchases thru eBay, but have heard of many horror stories.
Happy shopping.
TL
Old 04-21-2004, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Self Built, 427 USRRC, 427FE, Toploader
Not Ranked     

boxhead,
Just go as Terry noted and follow their instructions. As of the date never been bitten by the sellers on eBAY, but dealing the eBAY the company and listing two items that were worth a total of $800 in parts, the SOB's billed me as a final bill on both items $387.14.
They could give a flip less about correcting it and billing me what they advertise.
That a 50% sell charge, on min pictures, one for 5 days the last for 7 days. When I complained, they cancelled the sale and denied access to the buyers so I lost the sale on top of that.
eBAY is the theives in that case, not the sellers!
grumpy
Old 04-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

May I suggest:

Take out a credit card for $300.00.
Use the card to set up the PayPal account.
Dump the card after the account is in use.

If you use a Credit Card out of your wallet and it is one you use all the time, PayPal has unlimited access to this account in your name. This is not a good idea. There have been plenty of people who have been burned by PayPal and they do not have to answer to any bank regulatory commission.

If you have to have a PayPal account, run it off a card with a limit you can handle as if it was stolen money.

Just my $0.02 PayPal sucks big time.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Feedback is the most important thing to consider when buying. I always look for feedback that is 98% or better. If a seller has excellant feedback then he does not want to tarnish it. He also has conducted his business properly. eg.returning items not listed accuratley ect.
If the part is supposed to be original NOS (new old stock) make shure it has it's original box or you could be buying a nice reproduction.
I have done over 100 Pay Pal transactions and I feel that they are the best tool on the internet for auction shopping. You can dispute a purchase with them if needed and your items are shipped out right away if you are the buyer.
Check with the three shippers at their websites to calculate shipping. It gives you an idea of what to expect for shipping charges. If the sellers charges seem too high don't be afraid to question him or ask for an alternate shipper.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM under construction since 3.4.04.Powered by Chevy Gen3,Auto and shortened series 3 Jag suspesion.
Not Ranked     
Default Ebay Rox

Hi Box Head,

I can highly recomend ebay.......it rox

Ebay uses a feedback system where you can do homework on the seller or buyer before you purchase.

Payment can be made many ways EFT bank transfer being the prefered for national purchases.

Goods can be sent COD via Aussiepost also and this is the cheapest of all as you save shiploads on the postage.

International purchases are made with credit cards through paypal

In my last purchase i just picked up those NOS Lucas p700's that were up last week.
I love it for importing engine parts, no tax or duty if it comes through the post .

There are something like 30 corba parts sellers online, you'll find what your looking at the right price.
Huge savings can be made ie..roller fuel cap here $320-$420
On ebay i got a new one for $200au delivered, from a cobra dealer.

Have fun parts hunting, i certainly do

Cheers Robo
Old 04-21-2004, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

I agree with robo - use it all the time for both selling and buying.

95% of transactions go through with no worries, but take time to check out someone's history prior to bidding.

Important to watch out for the following:

1. Dealing with Companies saying they are registered in Aus, but sell the goods from another country ie Hong Kong - common with cameras. Have had items withdrawn prior to the sell date simply because they were not getting what they expected.

2. Postage from the US. Fedex is the quickest (have had items received within 2 days of paying!) although they are very expensive. Prefer UPS - Not as quick, but far cheaper. Bought some chrome air horns from the US, cost $50US, postage $26.

3. Don't deal with companies if they don't respond to your queries. My experience says that if they can't be a#$ed to respond, they generally end up being very slow in sending the goods.

You will get bargains in whatever you buy, but check the "retail" price on the net first.

Don't get drawn into I must win the item no matter what the cost. Set your limit and stick to it. Other similar items are always appearing.

Finally, if the item is not what was expected, you can always advertise it yourself.

Enjoy

Old 04-21-2004, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Bought a digital camera on ebay which was worth $1300 here and got it for $700 (new) Had to pay freight/duty though as it came from Hong Kong but still worked out at $780 all up. Only problem I think I can see with this type of purchase is I may not have warranty with Canon here?? Check the seller thoroughly is the best advise.
Leeroy
Old 04-21-2004, 05:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Leeroy I believe your correct in that the warranty won't apply here on that Canon EOS Rebel (different name in the foreign version perhaps).

I WAS considering that, but paid more and bought the USA model for warranty reasons. As fate would have it, never needed warranty, camera is rock solid. Should have bought the e-bay one,,,,,,,,
Old 04-21-2004, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Ebay purchases

Quote:
Originally posted by boxhead

Another item I bought (4 amber & 2 red lights) the seller says I have to pay GST? is this correct? they are a business/company.
I'm assuming that the company in question is an Australian Company?

If so, have they quoted to you an ABN?

If so, go to

http://www.abr.gov.au/ABR_BC/

click: search the public register
click: search
enter ABN
The search will tell you if the entity is registered for GST and when the entity was first registered for GST

By law the price quoted by a business is always GST inclusive.

If the company is offshore, generally domestic taxes such as GST are excluded on exports as the sale is outside the country of origin. So they are full of it!

So check their ABN & GST rego. Since advertising on ebay is international they probably have quoted the price net of GST, so haggle on the price A sale is always better than no sale.

Hope that helps
Old 04-21-2004, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

It is not normal to charge GST on exports.
Old 04-23-2004, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Make sure you ask plently of questions if you are not sure about something. I buy and sell on ebay all the time (check my current auctions if you want a go kart or a hot rod). Can be heaps of fun!

Andy.

Anything is possible (if you can justify throwing bucket loads of money at it!).
Old 04-23-2004, 06:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

On feedback, make sure they have a high score AND plenty of transactions as 100% on 4 or 6 deals is not much to go on. With shipping make sure you get dimensions and a weight on items for your info and theirs on shipping costs. Their communication on questions gives a good feel for how the deal will go down so try and ask a question or two ahead of time. It's a fun place to buy stuff just spend a little time getting familiar on lower dollar items so you don't get burned. It's done good by me!
Happy bidding.