Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2004, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, 351W, GT40 Lightning Intake, Toploader, Jag running gear, 3.07 diff, Autronic ECU
Not Ranked     
Question Hand Brake

Hey guys,

I'm wanting to replace my crappy black paint chipped hand brake handle with something more becoming.
The one I like the look of is the Finishline one pictured below but it costs US$139. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative or a good donor vehicle? I can always get a secondhand one re-chromed if need be. My hand brake mounts on the drivers side and there isn't much room between the tunnel and seat so it's got to be narrow.

Any ideas ? or alternatives ?

Thanks,
Adrian.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2004, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Adrian,

I think S1 & S2 XJ6 Jags have a nice handbrake. I believe that's what Robnel use, AC514 might be able to set me straight here.

Cheers

Old 05-19-2004, 08:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK Cobra, Jag based Lexus 1UZFE Engine and box
Not Ranked     

The Jaguar XJS has a nice chromed handbrake that will do the job, its very nearly the standard fitment of Cobras over here, and should be relatively cheap from a breakers yard.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 05-19-2004, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Adrian,
Classic Revival uses an MG h/brake which is also on the drivers side. Its quite small, slim and mounts sideways in to the tunnel, but downside might be they dont come too cheap. not sure as I got mine from CR included.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Used a $5.00 handbrake from an early Triumph sedan. Just cut the plastic hand grip off.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 05-20-2004, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force, 351W, GT40 Lightning Intake, Toploader, Jag running gear, 3.07 diff, Autronic ECU
Not Ranked     

Thanks dudes,

I might pop into the Healey Factory in Mitcham and check out the MG ones. Where's a good Jag wrecker ? Might see if they have some better wiper wheel boxes too since mine have suffered electrolosis and the thread is all but gone.

Bernie, good to see you back. I was getting worried about you. Thought you might have eaten some dodgy food or something ?!

Thanks,
Adrian.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have a talk to Gary Ayre at JAGAYRE in Dandenong road Clayton (almost at the corner of Blackburn road) 9562 8288

Cheers

Old 05-20-2004, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike,

I just rang Gary (real nice bloke). He said he would sell a hand brake handle to me for $30 so tomorrow I might just have to drop in there too. He's also got the wiper wheel boxes I need. He's a bit of a salesman....tried to sell me a ventilated rear disk kit for $380. Sounds good though (stop it ! stop it ! you don't need it !)

Cheers,
Adrian.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, he is a nice bloke. Tell him I said Hi.

I bought my whole front end from him and all of the parts to rebuild it. Good prices and good advice.

I went back later to look at some other parts and ended up driving away in a Jaguar (Good salesman too).

Cheers

Old 05-21-2004, 01:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Adrian

Yes been away. A little R + R on a houseboat and interstate trips.

The Cobra's on blocks basically waiting for the paint shop to call for it.

Hope I get it is back by the Nationals at Wakefield Park Raceway, but I think that will be a question mark.

Have a ute may bring it up for the "ute class."

Good to see you are making progress.

Lokar in the states have a alumnium handbrake in their catologue it looks great but but its expensive also.

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 05-22-2004, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

I went down to the Healey Factory but they have a 'gentlemens' agreement with the MG parts distributors that the Healey Factory won't sell MG parts if the MG guys won't sell Healey parts. Therefore, no go there. Although there was a nice 911 Carerra beconing me.

I then went to Jagayre and bought a late XJS handbrake from him (see picture). Little bit used looking but nothing a bit of polish or a re-chrome wouldn't fix. For $30 I reckon it's a good deal. Tell you what, that Jag stuff is made to last - not a sign of wear on the ratchet teeth. Pretty nifty how the handle drops back down flat after engaging the hand brake.

The handle is quite long so I'll need to mount it further back but I figure a few more holes in the car just lessens the weight so it's all good.

I also got some wiper wheel boxes from him - complete with thread !

All in all, a good Saturday.

Thanks for the help guys.
Adrian.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2004, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Forgot to say to Bernie not to paint your Cobra before the Nationals. I'm going up in white gel coat so I need some company and support !!