Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-10-2010, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     
Default Hello All

Hi everyone, name is Dave,
Like many, i suspect, i have been a member for awhile, sniffing around in the back ground, not feeling worthy of comment, another wannabe, but that has changed this week, i visited Ian at Classic Revival, the last on my short list and have decided to go the classic route.
I am ordering body / chassis from Ian, the rest i'll collect as i progress.

I live in Tynong North Vic, so i'm asking if any body knows of an engineer out this way with a good reputation ?

Once i get the chassis and some progress, i'll get a build log going with some pics,

Appreciate any help,

best regards, Dave
Old 09-10-2010, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I think you will be very happy with the classic kit, i was planning on getting one of them until my kit popped up for cheap.

Cant help with the engineer as i am in Sydney, but im sure others will be able to.

Good luck with the build.

Liam
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Welcome

I didn't know there was a Tynong North

But there you are... (wonder if map will work...)

....not so much

link maybe...
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Tynong...27788&t=h&z=16

looks like some nice curvy hills to the north of you ...
(shed run?)

Anyway - Welcome along Dave

You will be well supported - plenty of CR consumed here

Also consider getting along to one or two Cobra Car Club Vic meetings and perhaps join. There is a fantastic body of knowledge there.

I wouldn't worry about an engineer if I were you - hardly seems likely rego would be required

Keep us posted with your progress (no pics = no progress)

-> You sitting in the shell just after unloading is mandatory

Good luck with your build

LoBelly
Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi, thanks for the welcome,
Yes there is a Tynong North, its on the curvy road side of the highway, and as of about mid last year, there's tar road all the way to my front gate. I've got the property and the shed to house a decent visit, and i'm sure to get the photo as suggested.

Re: no rego, wont be the first time around here,......

Searching this site i've discovered an Engineer called Andrew Enklemann, so i might do a drop in on them in Braeside to be on the safe side.

Now I have to wait and twiddle thumbs for a few months, might have to start collecting some bits and pieces.

cheers
Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Welcome Dave. I am sure you will find the Forum as helpful as each of us did. Photos are invaluable as a resources, as is a close association with a person who has built a car from the same manufacturer as you are using.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Welcome Dave,

Good kit choice - although I am biased given I have a Classic Revivial too. I just luv the way everything fitted and botled in and you dont have to muck around customising things. Personal preference only of course, some like the challenges of those custom fabrications etc.

I used Enkelmans for engineering and found them to be great.

The best thing about the Cobra's is that there is always some little tweak you need to do even when you're technically finished.

Been mucking around with mine this morning trying to figure out a low cost way of relocating the coil packs on the LS1. I didnt like what I did so I reversed it, might try again one day.

What sort of engine gearbox diff you going to use?

One of the guys in the VIC Cobra club is building a CR at present and he bought a wrecked VE and is using a lot of donor bits from that.

Also now that the weather (is meant) to be gettiing warmer there will be more opportunities to come to events to view other Cobra's and CRs as well.

Anyway have fun - best time was during the build I think.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 09-10-2010, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Gregg,
I've admired your CR for a long time, What brand/ size are your wheels ?

Re: Eng/trans/diff, i'm thinking LS7, (mainly due to 427ci) with a custom manifold, 8 runners into 2 throttle bodies mounted like big hollies' with the 2 chrome 8in filters.
T56 trans, 3.45 lsd etc etc.
I think the engine choice may depend on what hoops i have to jump through, hence i need to chat with an engineer shortly, there's some well priced L98's going at the moment around the traps.

I'm building my list of questions, what springs / shocks / brakes (VE or after market like AP, Wilwood), did you use, how do you find the ride. ?

cheers and thanks for the welcome.
What area of Melb are you ?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Hi Gregg,
I've admired your CR for a long time, What brand/ size are your wheels ?

Re: Eng/trans/diff, i'm thinking LS7, (mainly due to 427ci) with a custom manifold, 8 runners into 2 throttle bodies mounted like big hollies' with the 2 chrome 8in filters.
T56 trans, 3.45 lsd etc etc.
I think the engine choice may depend on what hoops i have to jump through, hence i need to chat with an engineer shortly, there's some well priced L98's going at the moment around the traps.

I'm building my list of questions, what springs / shocks / brakes (VE or after market like AP, Wilwood), did you use, how do you find the ride. ?

cheers and thanks for the welcome.
What area of Melb are you ?
Hi Dave,

I luv the way my paint came out - was just down the street at the pool shop near car city and the guys at the car yard wanted to trade me their whole car yardfor it.

I am in Croydon so the right side of town for you if you want to come and have a look first hand (one of the other CR builders likes to do this) or once the weather gets better I would like to come down to you for a cruise (any excuse).

My wheels are the halibrand replica's from OZWHEELS - Ian from CR uses them as well. I found them reasonably priced and the best thing is the offsets and stud pattern are all correct as I just said I want a set for the latest CR. Nothing in the USA matched what I needed, especially the stud pattern as the VZ/VE stud pitch is European based GM not US based GM.

I reckon the LS7 would be a great option, bear in mind you need to be a stock as possible for engineering. Although now with the new emmission IM240 test you have more flexibility, your engineer canadvise.

My lowly stock 5.7L LS1 is plenty for me.

Although I reckon the 3.45 diff is a little too tall, a 3.7 might be better. Plenty of them on holmart.

My brakes are stock (for the moment) but I put in high coefficine t friction pads as there is no vaccuum assist, just dual master cylinders. Might go an upgrade next year. Shocks are AVOs - had a leaking one after 12 months and had to replace it. Also put Eibach springs on the rear as the original ones were too low.

The ride is very good - a lot better than I expected.

Anyway enough rambling - gotta go mow the lawn to earn some brownie points.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

Yes Gregg, I just had all four of my 12 months' old AVOs refurbished. Three were leaking. Needed new seals and some pressure tubes. Was done as warranty but it was a pain to take them out, send them away and so on. Not sure I am that keen on AVOs.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

If you investigate the commodore scene, as Gregg says 3.7's are generally considered the "right" ratio for a T56 to provide the best balance between crusing and acceleration.

Even a heavy commodore with 3.9 results in excessive wheel spin, so a light Cobra will have no chance. 3.45 is to tall though first and second IMHO, 3.7 is the go.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
Yes Gregg, I just had all four of my 12 months' old AVOs refurbished. Three were leaking. Needed new seals and some pressure tubes. Was done as warranty but it was a pain to take them out, send them away and so on. Not sure I am that keen on AVOs.
Merv, the only place I could easily find to get the AVo refurbished was in Qld. I ended up buying a new one as it was cheaper than freighting it around and paying for a repair. Bit annoyed though as I'd only done about 2000Ks. Thats the problem when you get parts but dont finish the car for greater than 12 months. Oh well I must be greatful, at least (so far touch wood) its only been the single one. not four like yours.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 09-10-2010, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Avo's, had them rebult twice before I gave them away for free.

Live and learn.

Phil
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

And what then Phil?

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re: Philm's AVO's, His car is really lowered now !

What other options are considered a good shock, dont say spax, had them with my A9X,
Also, Gregg, have eibach springs on my bikes, which perform well.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Hey Dave,
I have AVO's in my CR and have had the rears rebuilt already, they are however a cheaper option.
I think everyone will agree that it is mandatory to have bought multiple sets of parts and re engineer multiple parts of the car before you are happy. It is all part of the Cobra experince