Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Question Engineers

Hi,

I am new to the forum, and wish to find a VIC roads engineer who is "partial" to Cobra's. I have spoken with one already using VIC road's database, however thought a few of you blokes might be able to recommend somebody who is up to speed with the new ADRs for 2005.

Cheers.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Welcome along and enjoy the ride.
I personally dont know any Vic engineers, but afew of the guys down there have been in contact with 1 guy who seems very helpful.
Do a search and I am sure you will find the related threads
They are from only a month or 2 ago so maybe easier just to go backwards a few pages.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

Contact your state's rego office, they maintain lists of authorised engineering signatories. FWIW its either compliant or its not, there is no in between. There are engineering signatories that will issue certificates without following due process, however an engineer cannot overide ADRS and at the end of the day such certificates are not worth the paper they are written on. Some people I know get these types of worthless certificates to save them from random road side inspections but this isnt always effective.

Sorry to seem energetic on the issue - Im just trying to demonstrate the truth of the situation.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

My engineer is a guy named Colin Young and he's with a firm called A. Enkelman and Associates in Braeside. Colin just engineered Leeroy's car and is experienced in engineering Cobras. He used to engineer a lot of Robnels too

His prices seem to be pretty reasonable and Leeroy got through with no major hassles.

You can call him on 9580 3024 but he can be hard to get hold of.

Cheers

Old 01-10-2005, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC. 306 Windsor, TFS Track Heat heads, X303 cam, TFS Upper & lower manifold. Accufab t/b, 24 lb inj's, Autronic ECU. Tremec 5 speed,
Not Ranked     
Default Engineers

As an alternative, try Ken McHarg in a little Gippsland town called Mirboo. Ken's thorough, reasonable and the drive to his place, when you are on permits, is lovely. He visits Melbourne periodically and will make 'house calls'. I used him in 1998 and would do so again.

There's no pushover approved engineers anymore. That practise is a thing of the past.

Good luck and ensure you join the local Cobra Club. That will be help a lot.

Cheers
Chris
Old 01-10-2005, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engineers VIC

Thanks for your replies. I managed to speak with Ken, (he's closest to me), and he has been very helpful in clarifying a few facts. So far so good, looks like my engine choice will work for the latest 2005 regs (phew!). With respect to Bathrone's comments - appreciate your frankness and I totally agree with you - I wasn't looking for an "easy" engineer, rather somebody who is experienced in ICVs such as Cobra's. I guess I should of phrased my original question a little better. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     
Smile Cobra Club of Victoria

tt6g72,

Welcome to the forum! I will replicate Chris's comments above and do my drive for membership of the Vic cobra club. Hopefully this will encourage you to join.

We meet every first Thursday of the month at "The Mercat Hotel" in North Melbourne just opposite the south east corner of the Vic Market. The meetings are very casual and start at about 7:30 pm. There is a good meal and bar available.

Being a member of the club you get a subscription to "Snaketales" a monthly magazine produced with Stories advertisements and information about each states calender. It will also mean you will have a chance to meet people who have built, rebuilt, bought and burnt their cobra's and have a wealth of experience & knowledge that you can't single handed obtain.

If you want more information then please send me a PM on this forum and I will send you some details.

Regards

Tony Cram
Treasurer / Membership Manager
Cobra Car Club of Victoria Inc.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Just out of curiosity and to broaden my knowledge on what is and isnt acceptable, whats your current engine choice?

Cheers.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engine

Thanks again for the info, I did manage to get to the Mercat last week (thanks to Jason.M) and found people exceptionally friendly and willing to help. Must get onto the membership...

As for the engine... (Let me try to phrase this correctly) The way I see it, theres the "engine for registration" and that motor is currently being produced in a late model (2005) vehicle in Australia. (Not a V8)

Coincidently, it has the exact same block and engine mounts as found in another motor overseas.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

I will be using Ken McHarg too. He engineers Superformance cobras and has just certified RCM's. Since I have a RCM he has already performed all the chassis tests and knows all about them so that should streamline my rego and keep costs down. Word of mouth suggests that he is highly regarded at Vicroads (he is thorough), unlike some, which should minimise any audit activities by Vicroads on already registered cars.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC. 306 Windsor, TFS Track Heat heads, X303 cam, TFS Upper & lower manifold. Accufab t/b, 24 lb inj's, Autronic ECU. Tremec 5 speed,
Not Ranked     
Default Engineer in Victoria

By the way, Ken McHarg's email address is below. I just corresponded with him and he said he's keen to do the 'little cars' and has a number on the go.
Good luck!
Chris

"Ken Mcharg" <kmcharg@tpg.com.au>