Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Wink Cap on

Guess who has there thinking cap on

How much is a LS7 ??
Old 01-17-2005, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

No prices yet Garret

Production is set at 30 per day so far so that's gotta push it up

LS2's you can buy in the States as a crate motor so it's only a matter of time before they're available here. I think LS1 are still being produced too - Mike you may know more about this. There may be some downward pressure on prices for LS1's as a result.

There is speculation that LS7's may appear in the next HSV GTS.
Then you could put a genuine 427 badge on your cobra and still meet ADR's. Just have to change the label "Powered By Ford" to "Powered by Chev"
I've heard talk of FVP responding to this with a forcefed 5.4 Boss.

All talk for now but let's hope!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hot Box

What gear box ( manual ) hooks up to the LS7 ?

( see these type of questions build mm posting points, and save me looking it up myself, not that i know where to look, so far all i can find is a LS7 Kuma Sartra position and i aint going there )( Just got married and were only up to the 2 page ).

Garrett
Old 01-17-2005, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Heres a link to a LS7 web site. Should be just the thing for the rounder cobra driver having problems fitting into those snug cockpits.....

LS7
Old 01-17-2005, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Garret I can hear the gears in your brain from here in cyber space!

2006 corvette is still using the six speed manual. The LS7 block is a modified gen4 Anything that fits to the back of a gen3 should (I assume) fit to a gen4. Don't know if GM are offering an auto option with the 06 'vette.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Garret

Here's a few links to get you salivating!

http://autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101520

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=10851

And for prices.....

http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/ca...ry_ID=2&Page=2
Old 01-17-2005, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

What's wrong Garrett? 550 RWHP just not enough? I guess you'll need even more power in the cobra since there's no sex after marrage

From what I read most of the parts are interchangable between LS1, LS2, LS6 and LS7. The LS2 manifold bolts to LS1 heads and I believe LS2 heads will bolt to an LS1 block. The LS2 and LS7 motors are just a spring clean of the LS1 and LS6 designs.

The current generation Corvettes run a T56 trans axle and a torque tube arrangement to the engine (Makes the drive train look like a giant Lollipop) This moves that 50KG+ lump of a gear box right to the back of the car and makes for a better weight distribution. I can't see them changing this setup much appart from possibly going to the new stronger 600 series box.

As Al says the bolt pattern on the back of the engines is the same so an LS7 will pretty much drop straight into your car.

Cheers

Old 01-17-2005, 09:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With 11:1 compression I think you'll need to say goodbye to the blower Garret and rely on cubes instead!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Oh god, please dont tell him it will fit, please no.
Next you will be telling him his blower will bolt straight on aswell.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Dont worry Nassty, I am sure he can get some brass shim gaskets made up to lower the compression

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

Hey fellas

Yeah I can see the point, but really, its not hard to have a forced induction engine perform well in cruise conditions.

The port shaping, the camshaft timing and so on is designed differently to a NA motor and you'll find that fairly mild duration and mild port work is best for forced induction.

What gives the power is slamming air into the combustion chamber at high pressures, not fiddling round with high duration cams to try and suck more in at near atmo conditions. And lets face it, even a fully modded atmo engine is not going to have a volumetric efficiency much above 1.00

When it comes to longevity I think water injection is an excellent safety buffer for forced induction cars. Despite being a good knock suppressant its effects on exhaust gas temperature and valve temps to name a few things is significant.

The rotary engine does not have the same brake specific fuel consumption as a piston engine so it always use more fuel than an equivilant piston motor. BUT what can be assured is that in offboost conditions a performance turbo vehicle will be fuel efficient provided the porting, valve timing etcetc is all optimised for a forced induction type engine (no drag spec). It is gaurenteed to be far more fuel efficient than the same engine NA with bigger duration cams and so on.

If you sit down and do a proper analysis of the additional loads placed by forced induction you will find that the power load is mostly offest by the inertial load anyway. You are putting more power into the cooling system, the pistons are stressed more, and you have oil issues and the like but in general if those things are engineered properly a turbo motor will last almost as long as an NA motor provided it doesnt detonate the fuel.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Currently Researching
Not Ranked     

And I should add, the reason the super hipo turbo engines like in the F1 era didnt last long was due to detonation. Many of them actually cut slots on the deck of the block to vent gases should/when the cylinder gasket blows to bit under detonation so they can atleast keep driving.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

I dont understand how they can manage 13.7l/100km when Im pretty sure the factory figure is higher than that?

I have spoken to a number of crewman owners who say they have over 18l/100km in their cars...

Did they drive the whole way slipstreaming a truck?
Old 01-18-2005, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

18l/100km sounds consistant with city driving.

I've heard figures in the range of 10-11l/100 on the highway so to me the 13l/100 sounds ok.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The LS1 factory tune is set at fairly rich running levels to try and lower the power output.
All the LS1 tuners who have used LS1 edit or similar have all reported better fuel consumption after they have tuned the car.
So they are makeing more power and saveing fuel, all sounds good to me.

As a side not I gotta remind everyone how good it is to have open speed limits, I am currently filling in for 1 week at our Tennant creek branch (525kls north) and I grabbed a used car series 3 au 6cyl auto.
I sadly have to report that even though the speedo winds around to 220 the damn thing has a speed limiter set at 180, so I had to set the cruise at 179
Following speed limits in towns I managed the trip in almost exactly 3 hours with 1 fuel stop.
Cant wait to get the Cobra going.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-18-2005, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

David,

When NASSTY is one the road I'm comming up to see you and share a Crownie!
Old 01-18-2005, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have plenty of spare beds & I am sure the boss would not mind keeping a gaggle (refer to Aussie Mikes driveway) of cobras locked away safely in either the showroom or the workshop.
Also NASSTY there are allways cold crownies in the fridge, scotch on the bar (glennfidich) wine in the rack, food in the cupboard.

Cruising in 5th

Old 01-18-2005, 08:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cool Ok

Ok as long as i know its do-able, gunna still need the blower though.

Maybe not this year, but might start looking at the option once the price comes down, and you guys start to get you rides on the road, Got to keep away from Aussie Mikes Ben Hurr Spinners, and with others in the CR club starting to hit the road.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just spoke to CAPA and found out a bit more about the Crewman.

They used to run an aluminium block till they split number 7 cylinder at about 18 PSI.

The 408 runs the iron 6.0 truck block bored out. It has a Cales stroker crank, Oliver rods and diamond forged pistons.

Cheers

Old 01-18-2005, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Ok

Quote:
Originally posted by justbetter

Ok as long as i know its do-able, gunna still need the blower though.

Maybe not this year, but might start looking at the option once the price comes down, and you guys start to get you rides on the road, Got to keep away from Aussie Mikes Ben Hurr Spinners, and with others in the CR club starting to hit the road.
I think the only way we are going to catch you is with a big bungee cord attached to your back bumper.

Cheers