Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1st Harrison with Gen 3 , 6 speed ,Godzilla diff & brakes
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb replicas

Hi all ,
I have been asked by a local company to find out the general opinion of a more accurate replica .
The company are considering building a very accurate replica like what Kirkam do ie , Full tube chassis and alluminium body . It would all be made here in SA and be fully approved etc .
Obviously it would not have a 427 i would say it would be LS1 or the new Ford motor . Not sure on price as they are just reserching the market at the moment .
Do you guys think there would be a market for such a car here in Oz ,

Paul
Old 01-19-2005, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

There possably could be a market, it will all come down to cost.
They may be wasteing there time abit though, as what is the point of trying to make an accurate replica if it hasnt got the 427fe engine?
That is just my opinion anyway.
As Aussie Mike says "I aint got a shelby replica, mine is a Boxhead original"

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

In my opinion, it won't do well for one very obvious reason...accurate body/chassis etc, means that everything needs to be accurate or else why bother. So forget about approvals etc...just design it to be accurate.

I was just talking about this with a fellow club member the other night and he agreed.

If you are the type of person to build an accurate replica, you are not going to spoil it by trying to comply with ADRs.

Owner will just get 1 day rego or trade plates for driving it on the road and for taking it to track events etc.

We have a couple of 427 Cobra's in QLD that do that now.

I expect the type of person who is interested in this type of thing, wouldn't care that it can't be registered.

Cost is another issue...once cost gets up, you start to have some really interesting options.

And as Boxhead said, most of us are into hotrodding. I'm even hotrodding a GT40 at the moment.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

I can only assume that a reproduction cobra would cost at least 100 gorrillas, perhaps more like 150 large if you use Robnell as a sparting point.

In that price bracket you start to compete with some desirable production vehicles that can be driven rain, hail or shine.

I think what some people like about cobra replicas is that most are affordable.

The fit and finish would have to be top notch to justify the price tag.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

I agree with all the opinions thus far. Labour costs in Australia would price the car at around AUS$150000. Not being ADR approved wouldnt bother me, but 95% of the guys I know with Cobras love to drive on the road as often as possible. Just look at Bernie.
The Shelby dealers in the US have lowered the price of their fibreglass cars to US$42000 complete including paint but minus engine and gearbox. For US$92000 you get the car drive away with an all aluminium 427. The aluminium bodied car with the same running gear costs around US$130000. The exact same car but with the aluminium body made in England by AC costs around US$160000. Go figure. One of the most important aspects of buying a Shelby, fibreglass or aluminium is that your cars build number is added to the Shelby Register as a REAL Cobra. I think theyve got a lot of milage using this marketing technique.
I think someone who builds a kit that has the correct shape and a good chassis to match, with custom front upper and lower arms and an independent rear end either custom or using the Jaguar XK40 rear end with outboard discs would be on a winner. Another problem Ive experienced building my car is the quality and fit of the accesories. For example I bought a brake kit for my car that consisted of various lenghts of tubing with the connections in place for both ends. Ive seen the parts catalogue for Everrt-Morrison and other manufacturers kits, and the brake kit comes COMPLETE with all the pipes bent to shape incuding all the necessary fixings to fix to the chassis. If you buy the gauges from the same catalogue they come complete with a mini wiring loom to hook everything up. I think someone that offered that sort of product would do well.

Regards.

Last edited by Mando; 01-20-2005 at 04:17 PM..
Old 01-20-2005, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This link is to the company i am talking about at this car is what they currently fully hand make and they have sold a few mostly overseas . The main man there wasnt overly conserned about ADR's but if someone wants a driver not a show or track car then that will also be tailered for , He was ball parking around 100g depending on what the customer wanted .

http://www.finchrestorations.com/rem...dcars/ferrari/

Paul
Old 01-20-2005, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

That 59 TR250 is SWEET !! Now, if only it had the steering wheel on the correct side. ;-)

Wonder how much to convert to left hand drive and ship to the States? Hmmmmm..............
Old 01-20-2005, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Terry
They mainly do left hand drive ones maybe you should contact them .
I might have to hit them up for some commision

Paul
Old 01-21-2005, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

I agree with all thats been said by others.

I look at pics of overseas chassis and frankly, there's not a lot which impress me from a handling aspect. The original chassis doesn't impress me one little bit but then I'm a shade tree engineer. I really don't think an original chassis would pass the beaming tests in Australia.

I feel we Aussies have road manners ( read handling) as a priority and would prefer to sacrifice originality.